Company lies

My daugher has a magazine subscription with United Readers. A man called my daughter and said he was with "your magazine service." She asked if he was with United Readers and he said yes. He said she had been chosen because her payment record showed her payments had been sent consistently on time and as a reward she would have three payments dropped. However, since it was the end of the month, her payment date would change to the end of the month. She agreed. Then she gets her bank statement and she sees she has not a revised payment schedule but a completely new charge. She called the company and told customer service what happened. He said he would look into it and get back to her. He never got back to her. She called again and that number (number on her bank statement) was no longer in service. So she cancelled her credit card and is now getting phone messages demanding she call their finance department. We did. The woman in finance said she would be happy to cancel the account as long as my daughter paid the remaining due. I told her my daughter was lied to and informed her we are reporting them to the FTC. We also reported them to BBB. By the way, they are not accredited by the BBB, big surprise!
ID
Hollister, California
Cons
  • Lying sales rep
Reason of review
Lying salesman named Matt
Preferred solution
My daughter will pay for the two months she continued to receive magazines after cancelling her card. We want the remaining 598.50 cancelled.

Your Magazine Service in MN is a ripoff

These people duped my teenage daughter into signing up for their service and when I complained about the money being deducted from her checking account, blamed her for not knowing what she was signing up for, then said it was her fault for not understanding how to use their services, and then blamed me for being upset with them for taking advantage of her. They defended their practices and said my daughter was at fault. My daughter had just moved away to college for the first time and was still learning to manage on her own. They called her at 6am, when she was not quite awake, and talked her into accepting subscriptions for magazines she would never read. I don't care how honest or dishonest these people might be, nor whether or not their magazines are of any value or not. The reason I am pissed off is based solely on my conversation with the person who took my call. Had he been even a little bit apologetic about the whole thing, I might have accepted that we were too late in following up to recover the money they took from her for these subscriptions, but his attitude was so arrogant and condescending that this poor review rests squarely on his shoulders. The guy was a ***.

echo MN.....what a hoot.....that explains your lack of verbalization.......try forming a sentence ***

Seriously.........I couldn't.........................stop laughing...........................................................at your .............................................................................................................................................................................................................. ridiculous ................................................................................................................................................... writing .........................................................................................................................................................style..

Seriously....I could not stop laughing as I read this...so your daughter is just learning to manage on her own...lol she is not 5 she has to be at least 17....deary you have failed as parent to pass on the most basic of life skills....I'd be more worried about what is gonna happen to her at college....bet she comes home with atleast 5 new credit cards

@Viaan

Really. Ltcc is the arrogant *** the woman spoke to.

I am reporting this service to the Minnesota Attornry general. They are a fraud

View more comments (3)
ID
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article