Response to complaint

Update by user Jun 21, 2013

As far as the torn pictures.. they are not torn pictures..I have a kitchen/bath idea book with pictures and articles from magazines that show different finishes.

It is well put together and very professional looking.

I also have 20 plus door samples that I take with me when I go on a consultation as well as a professional website with 100 plus before and after pictures. I value the quality of my work and go above and beyond to satisfy my customers,

Original review posted by user Jun 21, 2013
First, I have a very professional website as well as 20 plus door samples to show clients. I do two free samples before I start the job to narrow down a color. I didn"t sand the cabinets, I deglossed them which is much better and does not scratch up the underlying wood. I only sand in between coats to give a smooth finish or if the cabinets "need" to be sanded. I was very frustrated with the bathroom and laundry cabinets because of how old they are and the pre-existing finish on them. I finished with the job and the client was very pleased...so pleased that her neighbors wanted a bid as well which I have problems scheduling because of my busy schedule and how far they live. I told the client I did not feel comfortable doing the kitchen cabinets, which were not even scheduled to be done until next month. I did not want to do them because of all the problems I had with the other cabinets and I expressed this to the client several times. The client took it upon herself to remove all the doors and drawer fronts and start sanding them before I even scheduled the work to be done. She called and pleaded with me to do the kitchen cabinets, so I finally agreed even though I was not wanting to but felt I wanted to please the customer with good service. Well, I just so happen to find this complaint on line and she never cancelled our appointment which was scheduled for this month.
ID
San Antonio, Texas

Unprofessional Business Conduct

I wanted to refinish cabinets in 3 bathrooms, a laundry room, and my kitchen. I called Wood Finishes of Stone Oak for an estimate, after seeing their ad in The Home Mag. The owner, Susan MacDonald came and gave me a bid in March 2013. I probably should have known better when she came to give an estimate and had a notebook with pages of pictures of cabinets torn out of magazines, as well as some brochures from wood stain and cabinet manufacturers for me to look at to choose a color. She did bring one piece of wood that was stained with 2 colors, but wasn't finished. After receiving her bid via e-mail, I contacted her references who were all pleased with her work and also checked her out on Angie's list. All seemed happy with the work and so..I contracted with her to do the cabinets. She does all the work herself and said that she could come in April to do the bathrooms and laundry room. She said that she would do the kitchen cabinets in May. She did come in a timely manner and did the cabinets in the bathrooms and the laundry room. Overall, I was satisfied with the quality of work that I got for the price. I can't say that it was totally "professional", but was satisfactory and done much quicker than my husband could have done it. For example, she had told us when she gave us the bid, that she would be doing some sanding. That didn't happen. She totally used a deglosser on them. That would have been fine except that she didn't fix any imperfections in the cabinets before applying the stain. For example, some drawer fronts have quite noticeable scratches on them that could have been eliminated with a bit of light sanding. Two doors have either a small hole or some sort of imprint on them that wasn't filled to make them smooth. She removed the little felt bumpers that are on the doors to keep the wood from scratching when the doors or drawers are closed, but didn't remove the glue or something because there is still the outline of the old bumpers on my doors... a darker color than the rest of the door. Even the baseboards were not finished completely. It's true that you would have to lie down on the floor to see where it is unfinished, but a true professional would have done that last inch or so. Even with all that, I was still satisfied enough to recommend her to some of my neighbors. Well, during May, my husband removed all our kitchen cabinet doors and the drawers and did some light sanding on them to remove imperfections because we now knew that Susan would not do that. May came and went and she never called me back to do my kitchen cabinets. I e-mailed her and left phone messages to no avail. Finally, on 4 June, I received an e-mail from her that she was going to turn down doing our kitchen cabinets because she had some problems doing the other ones. Hmmm.... again, very unprofessional to give a written bid, do 1/2 of the work and then not finish the job. She tried to say that because we had done some sanding, it could cause problems for her since she does not sand (even though she told my husband and I that she did when she came to give us the estimate.) Also, she made 3 appointments with one of my neighbors to give them an estimate and never showed up for any of them. This experience definitely gives meaning to the expression, "Buyer Beware." Even when you call references and check Angie's list... you can get into a bad situation. Now... I have no doors or drawer fronts on my cabinets and no refinisher. This may not happen to the next customer, but it is what happened to me.
ID
Schertz, Texas

About

Summary

Wood Finishes of Stone Oak is based in San Antonio, Texas. The company was founded by Susan MacDonald. Her business started 13 years ago when she began furniture painting and refinishing for family and friends just for fun. Over the years she has attended numerous intensive workshops on color theory, faux finishing and wood refinishing to further knowledge and expertise in the decorative painting/ kitchen/ bath cabinet refinishing industry and has cultivated a following of loyal clients as well as a portfolio that showcases her talents for homeowners and businesses in the San Antonio and surrounding area. Wood Finishes of Stone Oak specializes in a variety of services for home or business such as: Kitchen/Bathroom Refinishing, Front Door Refinishing, Built-In Cabinet Refinishing, Fireplace Mantels, Stair Rails and Banisters, Ceiling Beams and Floor Columns, Wood Imitation and Wood Textures wood graining, Crown and Trim Molding Refinishing, Custom Color Matching, Decorative Painting and Stenciling, Commercial Woodwork, Embedded Stencils, and Gold Leafing, etc.

Wood Finishes of Stone Oak reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article