Bad RE Appraiser - charged $350 for no appraisal

Wise Appraisals, Hagerstown MD was chosen by Wells Fargo to do an appraisal on my home for a refinance - not a sale, just a refinance. I was told that they didn't look at housekeeping, # of personal possessions, etc., He came - asked very few questions about anything inside the house, took 1 pic of each room and when we got outside started asking questions about the property itself. Took me 3 questions to realize the *** didn't have the right tax assessment for the property - he was trying to appraise my property using the TA for a much larger house/piece of land that was about 10 mi, away. (similar street names). When I showed him his error, he got nasty and said whatever and he'd fix it back at the office. 2 wks. later, I get informed by WF that there was a problem with the appraisal but they didn't know what. Turns out he decided that he didn't want to do the appraisal - 1. He felt I was a hoarder because I had a lot of stuff (house was built in 1930 - one closet in whole house.), so I have 4 wardrobes to house clothing. I also like to sew, read, and do other crafts. As a result I have alot of sewing and craft related stuff like fabric, yarn, etc. I also like to read alot, do computer games, watch TV (have 3), I also have a large sewing table, 4 sewing machines and 2 futon sofas (in 2 different rooms). I also have 3 horses, 3 (rescue) dogs and a cat. And yes there is a lot of stuff associated with them (I like to display my tack and saddles and such. That makes me a hoarder??? If so - what of it??? He's just there to appraise house itself, not the contents. No, I don't retain every piece of paper or bag or magazine or book I've ever read, used, etc. I regularly sell, give away or throw out stuff. I am NOT a minimalist, no clutter, everything is n it's place type person. Am I sorry - no I am not. I didn't ask him to live there, nor did I ask him to evaluate what the house would sell for with my stuff in it. If I was going to sell it, the stuff would have been gone. His words - "based on the "hoarding" going on, my assumption is that the house is in fair condition, at best." There aren't any dead animals, no piles of trash, no old stinky food all over the place, just a lot of cabinets and some boxes containing quilts and other projects. I told him I had put new walls/ceilings in 2 of the rooms, put down new tile on the floors of the whole downstairs, etc. Apparently non of that mattered because he couldn't get past the fact that I don't live like a monk. 2. I have oil and electric heat and a pellet stove. As I explained to him, I use the pellet stove because it's cheaper heat (I also like the "fireplace" effect. The other 2 are backup systems. His words to WF - "owner uses pellet stove for heating as I'm sure the fwa system isn't working. Or at least she can't afford to purchase the oil." I specifically told him it did work and offered to turn it on - he refused. If he had asked he would know there was also a full tank of oil ready for the winter. 3. He also pointed out to them that I have horses, dogs and chickens living on the property. What's that to do with anything??? He made it sound as if they were all living in the house and making a mess. I think he is very unprofessional and arrogant and I hope he rots in Maryland. He should not be used to handle an appraisal unless it is cookie cutter development style housing and he doesn't have to do anything but fill in a couple lines on the form and collect his $350.
ID
#198683 Review #198683 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

About

Wise Appraisals Terms of Service
The Customer are responsible for regularly reviewing this Agreement. The works of authorship contained in this Web Site, including but not limited to all design, text and images, are owned, except as otherwise expressly stated, by ALM or its licensors. United States and worldwide copyright laws and treaty provisions protect the contents of this Web Site. The Customer agree that The User are responsible for The Customer's own conduct and content while using the Service and for any consequences thereof. The User of Website agree to use the Service only for purposes that are legal, proper and in accordance with these Terms of Use and any applicable policies or guidelines. Redeliver, transfer, or sell any information, software, lists of users, databases or other lists, products, or services provided through or obtained from the Site Owner and/or ALM Web Sites.
To read more: http://www.wiseappraisals.com/TermsOfUse
Wise Appraisals FAQ
The procedure of producing an appraisal report deals with an estimation which leads to an opinion of value. The appraiser will typically use a number of "approaches," typically three, to come to the estimation of value. The Cost Approach is one of the processes that appraisers use to find the worth of a house property; it involves concluding what the improvements would cost minus physical depreciation, plus the land value. The Sales Comparison Approach deals with searching for comparable homes in close proximity and discovering the value based on comparing those properties to the house being appraised. Being the most commonly used approach, the Sales Comparison Approach is considered the most precise and best indicator of value for a residence. The Income Approach is generally used for finding the cost of income-producing properties based on what an investor would pay based on the amount of income a property would bring in.
To read more: http://www.wiseappraisals.com/FAQ
Summary

Wise Appraisals executes all kinds of real estate evaluation. The company has an experience in estate planning, divorce settlement, employee relocation, mortgage refinancing, primary and secondary mortgages and private mortgage insurance removal. Wise Appraisals widely uses Internet Technologies in its work and practices opening online applications for evaluation which saves time and money of the customers. The company has such advantages as competitive pricing, online reports, electronic ordering and delivery, and, which is the most important, highest quality appraisal reports. The head office is situated at Hagerstown and helps both buyers and sellers at their real estate affairs. The company has a very good speed of reaction to all inquiries and tries to set the most appropriate terms of communication with every client.

Wise Appraisals reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article