Verified Reviewer

You should find another person to appraise your home

2 years ago I had an appraisal done of my home through PNC Bank when I was doing my home loan. PNC Bank's appraiser appraised my house at 90k, this year I was going to take advantage of the New Day USA home loan, and not only did 2 weeks of waiting for the appraisal report after the inspection delay the closing, they lowballed my home at 82-84 K an d we have done home improvements since we did the appraisal through PNC Bank and put a new roof on. They used improper homes to compare our home's value and did not consider area, neighborhood, other houses in the area. You would be better off finding another company to do your Appraisal, though if you use them and you have a different opinion, feel free to make your own review.
ID
Warren, Pennsylvania
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Poor Appraisal Services

This appraiser was hired through an AMC. I should have known from the beginning this process was going to go bad. Had a hard time getting an apt. Her secretary gave me the wrong number to call to make the apt. I had to go online to find the right number. But mainly, the appraisal was a joke. There were several houses right near my house that sold within the last couple of months that compared to mine in size, style and condition and she refused to use them. She said I could not see the inside of the houses, but I could see the inside of the houses and they were comparable to mine. She went out of her way to use houses several miles away, that sold a year prior and she used houses not similar in style (mine is ranch she used a two story) just so she could low ball my house. I could see her using the houses close to mine (which were ranches) and then subtracting for certain upgrades, but to use houses far away that sold long ago is very unfair. She actually said that since mine didn't have stainless steel appliances, exposed wood floors and custom cabinets that she could not compare my house to the houses near mine (only one of the houses I picked had custom cabinets, exposed wood and SS appliances, the others weren't that fancy). I did research and talked to other appraisers and appliances and furniture should not be used in an appraisal because those are not really part of the house. Those things can be taken out of the house. She could have subtracted for the custom cabinets but I have wood floors just not exposed, but she wouldn't hear of it. Her mother lost her appraisal license and now works in this office and that should be a red flag. Request a different appraiser if your bank assigns this agency.

Why would an appraiser "low ball" A property? I think someone needs to become more educated on appraising before they make such a statement.

My friend is an appraiser and he has no interest in what the home comes in at. It is just his opinion.

I own many homes and have been assigned to this company several times. Never had a problem.

Sounds like sour grapes! This appraiser is courteous and thorough every time.

Homeowners like to think that that know how appraisals are put together. Comps are chosen for a reason.

Read and understand USPAP and reconsider! :p

View more comments (2)
ID
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Real Estate Expert Talks

"I'm a Huge Proponent of Building a Home" Ty Wilde About Real Estate Industry

Sep 15, 2020

To help every potential homeowner find answers to their most important real estate questions, we’ve invited Ty Wilde Realtor & New Home Construction Specialist. In this video interview, we asked Ty to share his vast experience and give expert advice on whether to build a house or buy a house, what’s the best time to buy a house, what to consider during the house inspection, and more.

Read full article
Ty Wilde
Ty Wilde

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article