Braxston Bio
map-marker Englewood, Colorado

Vocus - Now Outmarket - Deceptive Sales & Advertising and Poor Service

Vocus review. The Vocus - Outmarket sales process claimed they do heavy lifting in providing Pr support, content management and systems. Vocus - Outmarket pr consultants and system added little value other than review grammar on press releases. The content in their system was not relevant for our business or industry and they provided little to no value. At one point Vocus - now Outmarket attempted a keyword analysis with results my 8th grader could have compiled. Vocus or Outmarket did follow through with commitments, the staff turned over almost monthly and executive leadership team contacted showed little to now interest on standing behind their product and services. Vocus or Outmarket is a company that was clearly deceptive during the sales process selling much more than the company was able to provide. Of the hundreds of companies and partners I have worked with over a 30 year career, I would place Vocus - now Outmarket as on of the worst and would nominate them as the Worst Company in America. Our complaints to Outmarket executive leadership did not product results. Hopefully consumers and business will read this Vocus review and Outmarket review and benefit. My review of Vocus or Outmarket would be 1 star at best.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Lack of integrity
  • Lack of response
  • Poor performance
Reason of review:
Deceptive sales / poor service Vocus Outmarket

Preferred solution: Full refund

map-marker Kalamazoo, Michigan

Lots of hype, no value

Rather strange comments? This is my experience with Vocus. They tell you how great they are (as noted in this comment) and don't deliver any real value. They are constantly trying to sell something to me after I have told them their service sucks!! Their "training" is non-existent. I had 3 different account reps in a month!! They spoke in broken English, were difficult to understand and were unable to fix the issues!! I would NOT recommend them!! They have rebranded themselves Cision so watch out. Spend your $5,000+ somewhere else where you will get some real value, not hype.
Reason of review:
Not as described/ advertised
map-marker Atlanta, Georgia

Limited Print Monitoring, Poor Service

We've been using Vocus for two years now and I would not recommend this service. We signed up because Vocus claimed they offer international media monitoring, but unfortunately that isn't the case. The only coverage the system really picks up is broadcast and online. They do not monitor any of our key trade publications (B2B company) and nothing on an international level. Also, their service is absolutely terrible. Every time I contact our account rep with a question, it takes multiple emails and phone calls to receive a response (nothing is resolved within a two week time period). When you call into the 800 number, you can get someone live but that support team can only answer questions about functionality of the database, not any type of question on media monitoring. Pros include: - PR database is pretty extensive. - Ability to distribute media pitches through the database. - Broadcast coverage. Cons include: - Must sign a year contract; will not offer a monthly subscription based service. - Terrible service. - VERY limited print monitoring. We had to pay for Burrelles to do the print monitoring (they are great!). - No international monitoring. - No radio monitoring. - Limited online coverage monitoring.
map-marker Boston, Massachusetts

A Lot of Talk; No Action

My one-year contract is almost up with Vocus and, unfortunately, I do not have a lot of positive things to write about my experience with the company. Great job convincing me to buy, but once you're in, radio silence. We had many promises made to our company and, in the end, delivery was late, often incomplete, and not impressive. During the courting period, our rep made promises about getting us national media hits through prominent media connections she had. We later learned that those connections didn't exist and she basically did exactly what we did: write press releases and pitch to mass media. Suffice to say that everything Vocus did for our company we could do ourselves for a lot less money and headache.
Guest

Vocus sells software-- essentially a tool. If you dont use that tool, or take the initiative to work hard on your end, you've wasted your own time and money.

You can buy a pack of seeds; if you let those seeds sit in a cabinet and you dont take the time to plant, water, and grow the seeds-- you will have zero result.

Most of their packages are below $20k..

if you were expecting to not have to do much work for that little investment, maybe your expectations on running a business need to be reset.

Something to think about.

Guest

I agree, I signed up for a VERY expensive package and it has been a complete waste of money. I purchased the top tier package.

They call everyday multiple times, promising the world. Once your payment posts - silence.

Guest

Pitching the media is about building brand awareness… not driving sales.

View more comments (2)
Sherree Ngy
map-marker Merrick, New York

Vocus Accessed Bank info without permission

I signed a contract with Vocus that had three specific pay dates, could not have been more clear how payment were to be made. I gave them a debit card for the first payment and was offered a pre-authorization form to sign for the second and third, i declined and never signed it, payments would be taken over the phone when due. About 10 days prior to the second payments being due, Vocus ran my debit card for about $2100 and caused havoc in my bank account, overdraft fees, returned payment from other people that should have been paid, etc. They immediately apologized, swore it is not their practice to let financial info get passed to other employees and that the info would be shreded. I was angry and expressed how uncomfortable I was with this relationship but made my second payment as agreed in my contract. Then just two weeks after that another employee at Vocus tried to run my debit card for $4500! My bank thankfully rejected it. Now this was only 6 weeks into the subscriptions and the entire payment issue consumed a lot more time than I even used the program. At that time I told them I feel completely uncomfortable doing business with them, please refund and part was amicably. My bank gave me the option to pursue fraud charges and i declined. Now Vocus refuses to give back any money and sent me a bully letter for the balance. Their stance has been "we are a publicly traded company, we don't give refunds" I have tried to work out something rather than pursue legally but they are not responsive. This is not a relationship i wish to continue and i think I have enough cause to be reasonable asking for a refund, i do not trust this company and they breached the terms, not to mentioned many banking regulations, not me. I gave my card to one salesperson in the company and three different people have tried to run it weeks before payments are due. The theory being that people will just angry but simply accept it. If my company ever did this to anyone I would not expect them to want to do business and would be glad to try and save some face and refund them and go upon and beyond to win them back. They have no place in the small business community. I sent them all back up, contract, emails, bank records, the apologies for the first instance. They do not care, they have my money and they are keeping and and sent a demand letter for the balance and I have not logged into the program because all of this started just weeks after signing.
Presli Rmt
map-marker London, England

5 pissed customers for a company that has dealt with over 300,000 companies worldwide

Having only 5 complaints for a company the size of Vocus is quite impressive. Especially when considering these are most likely to be from one of the many competitors Vocus has, spanning across digital marketing and PR. There are thousands of success stories out there to counter all of these rather strange comments. I'm sure not all companies have found great success working with Vocus, and perhaps one of the complaints is a genuine customer to didn't see the sales they were hoping for. Vocus gives you the tools and distribution network to achieve great things, but like anything in life it is certainly not a given.

Sure you are the same scamer sales rep who stold my $4,000.00

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-825489

If your plan is to spend $4,000 on PR/marketing for an entire year-- you really need to re-think your business and it's importance.

View more comments (1)

THIS COMPANY NEVER STOPS CALLING!!!

The worst decision I ever made was to pick up the phone when someone from Vocus called. The moment they viewed me as a warm lead they put me on some list to continue to call me day and night and harass me into one of their products. Thankfully I never signed anything, or returned any contracts. You would think that would dissuade them from contacting me, nope. It's been over a year, and I still receive constant streams of emails and calls. Never, ever work with this company. They're the worst organization I've ever come across. Steer clear or they'll NEVER stop harassing you.
gerald claude

one thought....."Do Not Call List".....add their number

Guest
reply icon Replying to comment of gerald claude

Good idea. Challenge is they always call from a different number and it also involves a lot of spam emails.

View more comments (1)
Valora Nms

They called presured me into sending back form while I reviewed, then held contract over my head

Bottom Line...... if you have any doubts about this.. then it is for a reason. That is your inner gut telling you to forget about this ***. I lost 4500.00 NO ROI at all.. this *** does not work!!! I did not even want to move forward but I sent my contract in and then I got a past due bill months later telling me they would pursue a judgment if I didn't pay. What kind of company locks you into a contract for subscription services anyway?!? Do not .. I repeat DO NOT take this overcharged service!!! If you do, at least you can say you were warned.... I am extremely pissed at them... it would definitely get physical if they were in my City!!!
map-marker Dallas, Texas

Vocus: No refund for you!

After business hours on May 31, 2012, we faxed our copy of a contract, along with credit card information, to Vocus. Fax No. 301-459-****. This was for their "Vocus Marketing Suite - Bronze - Advanced Releases w/ 2 per month (Limit 1 Domain)" in the amount of $2,400.00, to be charged to our credit card over 3 months @ $800.00 per month. (They added $66.00 tax to the first invoice #74839, Sales Order #66304. Paying sales tax was never mentioned.) They also sent us an invoice #74840 for July's payment in the same amount, $866.00. They ALSO sent us a copy, dated Friday, June 1, 2012, of PayPal's "Perform Transaction - Result" showing "Transaction ID VXHA9B836E75, Authorization Code 00492G" in the amount of $866. This was--supposedly--done on their PayPal account (number not shown on receipt). Status was "Approved". The next day, I received a call from one of Vocus' competitors who warned me that Vocus would do nothing for us, promotion-wise, and he urged me to exercise my "3-day right-to-rescind" the contract. I did a number of internet searches and did find others for whom Vocus had "done nothing" and one very disturbing legal issue regarding children about their sales director. At 1:39am on June 3rd I sent Vocus a letter exercising my "3-day right-to-rescind", demanding a refund of any monies charged and rescinding my approval of further charges. I also called PayPal this morning, June 4th, regarding "Transaction ID VXHA9B836E75" (I had to speak to a live person to get the issue understood.) The PayPal agent told me that "Transaction ID VXHA9B836E75" was NOT a valid Transaction ID Number. So, that "receipt" sent to us from Vocus was a FRAUDULENT DOCUMENT, probably sent to us so we'd feel comfortable with our dealings with Vocus. I am hoping you can assist in getting my refund of the $866.00 charged me thus far. I demanded our money back and that no further charges be made to our card. I got an email from the salesman saying that they didn't give refunds ... so we are proceeding with our credit card company to do a chargeback. If anyone would like, I will email you a copy of Vocus' fraudulent PayPal receipt. foodstr22(at)spamcop.net (remove the brackets and use the real @ symbol) Bruce Hopkins http://www.internet-grocer.net 903-356-**** Vocus' actual details are: Vocus, Inc. 12051 Indian Creek Court Beltsville, MD 20705 301-459-**** Salesman's email: rymartin@***.com cc's sent to: fmoghis@***.com bhayes@***.com
Guest

Bruce has had a mild stroke and does not remember the details of the transaction if you call or email him.

(12/14)

Guest

I made a similar statement on another post listed on this site, but wanted to list it here as well as a mere attempt to be fair.

I think there are some accurate depictions with this, but that can be said with a lot of companies. The no refund policy is not a good business practice in my experience, but it is also not 100% accurate. Yes, I work at Vocus, but I also have two small businesses I am trying to develop, and use Vocus for one of them. I will admit, it was not all I had hoped it to be and was a little frustrated when I first began using the suite; however, I found value in the email marketing and the press releases-- that alone is a value my business partners and I have found notable. My company has an interview to be featured on a tv show next week that is featured on lifetime; we might not get this, but we would have never gotten this opportunity otherwise.

By the way, anyone find it odd that this domain (pissedconsumer.com) actually uses Vocus? http://www.prweb.com/releases/reviews/video/prweb1072****.htm

Must not be that bad overall via the evidence provided; however, I do agree that there are issues. If email marketing and/or press releases are not of value to you, then it is a waste of time.

Guest

About a year ago I was inundated with emails from someone with a company that I found out later was linked to Vocus...offering the same services for a "greatly discounted" price. I ignored them, finally emailed them after the 20th email and told them we did not need their services at the present time.

Thanks but no thanks. A few months later another associated contacted my partner, who tends to look at anything he thinks is "new and innovative"...but I'm the skeptic so he had the guy contact me. I knew within 1 minute of the call that this was a company that was only concerned with sales....after some back and forth e-mails, a "showing" of the site and how it operates, he went in for the kill...we would have to sign up by the end of the month, or the prices were going up TRIPLE! (um yeah, right...I used to sell cars...you're barking up the wrong tree).

With that hard sell tactic I decided to check them out and found all kinds of complaints. I wrote the guy back and told him we weren't interested and that it didn't fit into our budget right now...he kept pushing...I finally told him I had a client calling on the other line. I JUST got another email from him telling me that they are having another sale....wow....so, in one month, when the company realized that no one was going to pay 10k to run a social media site, they lowered their prices again?

I guess there's a sucker born every minute.... :grin

reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-664748

So what? They tried to sell you a product and you weren't interested.

That's no reason to bash a company.

Man. Get a life.

Guest

So companies will pay $20,000-$50,000 to a PR or Marketing Agency that is probably using Vocus anyway but won't spend 5k themselves.

Also, they will gladly pay an employee 40-80k a year for PR and Marketing but not purchase a 5k tool for them to use. Seems a little misguided.

Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience. The price seemed steep for me so this will really make me think twice.

Guest

you got a great price for the bronze. of course a competitor is going to bash their own competitor. Sped

View more comments (6)

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article