Carolyn B Ogv

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Saint Louis, Missouri

BEWARE - keep the job SIMPLE

Vail Lawncare and Landscaping - BEWARE - keep the job SIMPLE

BEWARE - after one month Andrew Vail cashed my $600 check.

April 2022 : I thought I would like working with Matt Vail for garden maintenance, but he got CONFUSED with my garden beds and only used a leaf blower to get the leaves out and a lawn edger for the grass (that is not a garden bed!) for TWO HOURS.

BEWARE. I hired Andrew Vail on April 19 2022 to provide GARDEN MAINTENANCE of my large suburban garden beds.

He stopped by and gave me a nice first impression and communication was good.

On April 26th he came and started trimming the GRASS and leaf blowing the leaves when I had already performed that task. I left very specific WRITTEN instructions, but he seemed CONFUSED about the tasks.

I told him to leave and he said, "Please don't leave me a bad review." I did not until now.

Today is May 18th and he cashed my $600 check!! BEWARE.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Friendly and good communication
Cons:
  • Uses the wrong tools to do the job

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: He might be good for SMALL JOBS.

Yudella M

Verified Reviewer

Scammed

Vail Lawncare and Landscaping - Scammed
Vail Lawncare and Landscaping - Scammed - Image 2
Vail Lawncare and Landscaping - Scammed - Image 3

This company Matthew Vail scammed me out of $1625. He lied to the BBB and the State Attorney General.

He pretended to refund me $750 via Cashapp then stopped the payment. He admitted to Susan Luckey the Illinois State Attorney General that Cashapp sent his money back to him and Matthew sent her a picture of his receipt. This man is not a certified licensed insured professional landscaper. He took advantage of me because I was a minority pregnant female trying to maintain her property during a pandemic.

He damaged my property and made everything hazardous. He pretended to treat my property with 6 month weed killer. The weeds never died. When he arrived he didn't bring a lawnmower nor a brush hog.

He simply used a weed wacker to trim down years of tall grass and cut down two small trees. Mind you I just bought this house and wanted to beautify the property. As you can imagine a weed wacker can not produce a finished smooth appearance at all. Also he left and took a 3 hour break!

I had to ask him if he was coming back! My property was so hazardous when I walked to review the area I hurt my foot walking on it and my neighbors dog got hurt running on it. How do a professional take $1625 and only arrive with a weed wacker! Where was the brush hog, where was the lawnmower, where was the excavator?

I also paid for removal of the brush. What he ended up doing was throwing the cut brush on my neighbors property instead of hauling it away. He brought someone named Jake the firefighter to cut my brush but his performance wasn't much help. Jake apologized to me multiple times.

Jake said he didn't understand why Matthew brought a weed wacker!!! Jake said Matthew didn't own a lawnmower and didn't want to rent any equipment and not to worry about me being disappointed. Jake offered to go to his own house and bring his chain saw and zero mover to smooth the now hazardous area but he said it would cost me an additional $400!!!!! Matthew clearly is learning as he goes.

I checked multiple site and found several complaints just like mine. I wish I found them before I paid him. Susan the Attorney General advised my to sue him and that shall be done. His performance was below average.

How does a company arrive to a job just to make it worse than never honor a refund. He lied and told the BBB that he sent me $1000 just to later admit to the Attorney General that he paid me nothing. Fraud, fraud, fraud, scam, scam, scam. Not only will I sue for the full amount of $1625 but pain and suffering, vet bills, and emotional distress.

On Thumbtack if he gets to many bad reviews he makes a new account to remove the unwanted reviews. He prays on women especially minorities minorities and charge ridiculously learprices.

Loss:

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Avoid, learn to landscape, find another company

Landscaping and Gardening Expert Talks

Lawn Care During Drought: How to Grow Lawns with Less Water?

Jun 8, 2022

How to care for your lawn in a drought? John Perry, a lawn expert, shares tips on effective lawn care with new water restrictions and explains how to preserve a green yard.

John Perry
John Perry

John Perry is President, CEO, and Founder of Greene County Fertilizer Company, Inc. and the author of the Lawncology educational series.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article