State: New Jersey Clear all filters (2 of 49 reviews match)
filters
State:
City:
Show

US Career Institute - Study Materials Review from Trenton, New Jersey

I explained to the representative I never received my materials and wanted to withdrawal... Because the school didn't seem legit nor dependable...Now I see 1024.00 on my credit report... This is ridiculous

THis issue happened to me,I made payments evry month and only did 2 modules and stop because I felt the course did not have updated material and it seemed like a waate of time and money for me when I did call they said I still have to pay eventhough I do not take the class, its impossible, they should ask fo a little cancelation but not the whole course amount for classes I have not even taken.Now they are asking for a settlement pay. NO way!!!!!!!!!!! you are going to make it legit like other schools do it, then I will pay.

Review
I had enrolled into their Pharmacy Technician program as of January 7,2012. I looked on this site thoroughly and I did not see any type of review for this distant program. I went on the BBB to check validation; in which they are nationally accredited, but nowhere it...

I took the Medical Transcription course back when the school was still known as "At-Home Professions," approximately 18 years ago. I really enjoyed the course. It really was presented in a very understandable format, and I graduated in about four months time, when my twins were about 8 months old. About six weeks after graduation, I was able to get a one-week substitute job while the regular transcriptionist was on vacation, and then a permanent job elsewhere within six months with a medical practice with three specialties which I held for 2-1/2 years. They also recommended me to other physicians, but with taking care of the babies, I was not able to absorb them. In all, the school was very positive and supportive with lots of helpful inspirational quotations and cartoons to look at while studying, and tips on time management. I felt very happy with the school and my new career.

With that in mind, there were a few things that came up short. They really weren't helpful at all with assisting me search for a job. Nor were they helpful in clearing up exactly how one gets their foot in the door at a hospital. That was murky. They were dismissive, as they had gotten their money already and I was finished with the course. It was clear that they really didn't care what happened to me after that. What worked was my making a flier and sending it our to about thirty local medical practices. When all was said and done, it came down to a really nice receptionist who took a chance on me. Success was not in the hands of the doctors so much as that gatekeeper. I used a well-thought out flier with NO type-o's. I see in each of the complaints above a bit of a lack of proper English usage, as well as spelling errors. That is not something the school can change: If you are not going to present yourself well, the school cannot be there to do it for you.

Fast-forward about ten years and I thought I would, again, attempt to get another job, though I was not as interested this time in working from home. I reviewed all the materials I had from years ago, including the taped transcriptions. I got in the door at an ambulatory surgical center. They gave me some sample tapes for ten doctors with whom I would work from ten different specialties. I must say, it was extremely difficult compared to what I had done before. There were so many surgical products of which I had not been acquainted, and the speed at which the doctors dictated was unintelligible at times, even with slowing the tapes down. They also used many abbreviations of which I was unfamiliar. Nevertheless, they said I was the best they'd worked with so far. They said the local community colleges didn't turn out a good product.

Soooo, was the school good, or was it what I brought to the table that made the difference? Would a community college have been better? I personally think the school covered every aspect of what I needed to learn to take dictation from various doctors, with the exception of the extra vocabulary and product knowledge that I needed for surgical specialities. That was a big hole in the program, but then, I wouldn't have finished in four months either, and I didn't need all that knowledge for my first jobs. I would just need to kick my own butt and work as hard or harder to learn all the new information as I had done when I had taken the course. And, I worked hard to make sure I learned everything to an excellent (of course not perfect) level. Making sure I never delivered work that I knew had flaws was what made me good, not the school. The school cannot act as your conscience nor give you a work ethic (though they do encourage you to do this). I think if you apply yourself you can do well with a number of programs. However I think this program was especially easy to understand, and the written comments by the teacher were very helpful. Good luck!

View more comments