LOOOVE our PWD Holly, the Therapy Dog

Wow I don't know who wrote this nasty post and I know it was a long time ago but I have to believe it was a scam or the person was doing drugs bc I cannot even IMAGINE Lisa screaming OR yelling - ? We got our amazing girl Ophelia (now Holly) from Lisa in December 2008. I will be the 1st to admit that getting a puppy right before Christmas is NUTS! And that this breed is also a little nuts too hahahaha ;) They are sooo sweet, and sooo smart, and sooo devoted - (great watchdogs!) but also need a ton of attention and very high-energy. Lisa "interviewed" me on the phone for 45 minutes before saying she would let me take one of her puppies if both my husband and myself were out of the house at FT jobs all day (I work P/T) and BOY did she know what she was talking about! I agree it sounds like the OWNER who is at fault here . you HAVE to know what you're getting into here, people! Did I spend a small fortune and countless hours on puppy kindergarten, elementary school, HS and beyond? The answer is YES, I did. There is no doubt that this breed HAS to be trained to one extent or the other, while still young. I now have an amazing 7 year old certified Therapy Dog who loves nothing more than to visit nursing homes, hospitals and schools to make people happy with her sunny disposition and wagging tail. The non-shedding and hypoallergenic attributes have helped us get into many schools and libraries . . . Holly is well known in Dutchess County, NY and is loved by all; most of all, us, her family. Thank you for our wonderful child, Lisa Wiley!
Bethany, Connecticut
Pros
  • Lisas kindness and professionalism
Cons
  • Cost lol - but it was even before obama
Reason of review
LOVE our dog and dislike the unfair review Lisa got

Absolutely wonderful Breeder

About Nine years ago we bought a dog puppy from Lisa. His name is Ralph. He was a "housewarming" gift for my son and daughter in law. They have told me many time since that he is the best "gift" they will ever get! The three of us went up from NYC to see the litter of puppies.They were about 6 weeks old. We spent an hour playing with the puppies and by the end of the visit it was clear what dog had chosen us. We did not take the puppy that day because they were too young but a month later we went back and picked Ralph up. He is healthy (all testing was done and we got certified copies of all these tests) Lisa was helpful with all follow-up questions in the early months. I am sorry that this person had a not good experience but our experience is opposite. This is a terrific breeder who breeds for health and adherence to the standard. I am still in touch with Lisa and have recommended her to other who have gotten healthy, lovely dogs.

Portuguese Water Dog Breeder Obnoxious, Rude, Just Horrible

I bought a Portuguese Water Dog puppy from this lady Lisa Wiley from Turnabout Portuguese Water Dogs in Bethany, CT. She totally lied to me about what to expect with the dog. She also lied about her experience with the dogs- I checked. When I asked for help when the dog was misbehaving she screamed, yelled, said it was my fault and hung up on me. I later found she also lied about the health tests the dogs parents are supposed to have. I learned too late she breeds alot of dogs just for money but she acted like she was someone respectable and not just another crummy person out to make a buck off of animals.

We got our boy 4 yrs ago last June and he has been fantastic. The purchasing experience with Lisa was great.

She was very careful about selecting the right personality dog for us and, therefore, spent a lot of time on the phone and email with us. We made two visits to spend time with the puppies which allowed Beckett (aka Mike) to 'select' us. She answered all of our questions patiently and thoroughly and sent us home when we picked our dog up with an entire packet of materials covering shots, check-ups, etc.

We then touched base with her periodically for about a year. We found her professional, courteous, and knowledgeable.

how do u know

Unfortunately Lisa Wiley has been misleading pet owners for a good 15 years or more. This is common knowledge within the breed club.

This doesn't mean you can't get a good pet- the problem is what you're paying for (quality dog with appropriate health testing) and what you're getting are two different things. Try contacting other Connecticut based Portuguese Water Dog breeders and ask about Turnabout. Most likely they won't respond. Puppies are generally sold on the internet to folks far away.

Ask yourselves why.

Buyer beware.

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS POST! Lisa was SO was so warm and personable when we got our beautiful 31/2 year old brown wavy puppy from her!

She spent time on the phone with us, allowed me to visit prior to the 8 weeks to see the puppy, and gave us a nice starter packet, including health information, when we picked her up! The only reason why I saw this post is because I was checking to see if she had any new puppies. Sounds like this poster wanted a stuffed animal instead! FYI...

puppies are work!! But the work pays off 100 fold.

My Portie is 11 years old and I got him from Lisa. She prepared me so well for the breed, how to train, and what obstacles I should prepare for.

He's the love of my life and everyone who comes in touch with him.

They are a smart breed maybe it's the owners that don't have the patience to train them- so blame the breeder. You guys are lazy....

Laura & Henry

I'm just curious how you know he is not one of your puppy owners. (Unless your going on the fact that you haven't sold a puppy to anyone named Elton John recently.) Or are you saying you've never yelled at anyone on the phone about your dogs and that's how you know? Like I said, I'm just curious, because his description sounds a little too specific to be completely made up.

#205698

This is not even one of my puppy owners. It's too bad there are so many scammers out there. Anyone can contact me privately and I would be happy to discuss the breed.

View more comments (6)
Englewood, Colorado
Loss
$2000

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article