Complaint to Toyota Fremont Dealership

Background information: I returned my previous leased car (Prius) and leased a Toyota Camry Hybrid on April 12th, 2013. I was aware that there were some extra mileages per lease agreement on the Prius. However, when I handed the form to the sales person, the final mileage was blank (I DID NOT FILL IN ANY NUMBER because the car was moved out of my sight). I told the sales person . He said he will take care of it. When I returned the 2nd key a few days later, I asked the sales person again. He said he will take care of it. Then, I believed, a few weeks later, I received a notice from Toyota regarding my extra mileage. I went to Fremont dealership talking to a sales manager about the issue. I was told “don’t worry, the system was not updated yet”. Then I just assumed everything was taken care of. However, to my surprise, earlier this month I received a letter from Toyota Motor Credit Corporation asking for balance payment or they will take additional measures. So I called 1-87*-300-**** on October 14. I was advised to contact Fremont dealership directly. I tried to leave a couple messages to Fremont dealership and no one returned my call. I called 1-87*-300-**** again on October 15th to update the status and I mentioned I will meet someone face-to-face at Fremont dealership on October 17th. I visited a gentleman working in finance department on October 17th and he suggested me to meet the finance guy who handled my paper work back in April but he was out on 10/17/2013. So I visited Fremont Dealership again on October 18th. Here is what happened at Fremont Dealership on October 18, 2013: I met the finance guy and he quickly checked the record for me and said the document did not indicate a “trade in” but just “return”. So I explained to him about the aforementioned background. About 10 or 15 minutes later, he introduced me to a lady. She introduced herself as a guest/customer relationship manager. Then the first sentence out of her mouth was: we are not going to take off this $596.38. Then I said I or my company does not mind to pay the balance as long as I was told clearly upfront. And I tried to tell her about the background. Then she said “are you (meaning me) insinuating the person who wrote down the final mileage did not record the actual mileage? I know this person at person level……”. I said I did not say that. But please tell me who should be the one to write down the final mileage if I am the one to pay. She said “I don’t know”. I said that’s not a very responsible answer. She got furious and said “were you not clear about the leasing agreement when you signed? You need to pay for the extra mileage….”. I said “of course, I read the leasing agreement. But why your sales person gave me the false expectation….” During the conversation, I said that I have been a loyal customer to Toyota but not anymore (due to her arrogant attitude). She said “that’s your personal choice…” I walked out the door. I was extremely shocked that Toyota is such a good brand, why in the word Toyota would hire someone like this to handle customer relationship. Toyota is really asking for losing customers. Here is my takeaway from this incidence. In order to sell cars and make deals, Toyota Fremont Dealership sales person sounded so nice that they would do customers a favor such as taking off extra mileage from previous lease. Then later on they sent someone who was literally yelling at customers to get customers out of the door. Her attitude (to me) was “ pay the bill and get out of here..” I learned a lesson and I paid the bill. It's not because I think they are right. It's because I am afraid they will really screw up my good credit record given the way they handled "customer relationship". I would like to share my experience to make sure no more innocent people like me will ever get victimized again. Again, let me be clear. Either I or my company does not mind paying the balance due to extra mileage per lease agreement. However, the way Toyota Fremont dealership handled customers and the attitude and the way so-called customer relationship lady(quite ironic, isn't it?) handled the case was TOTALLY INTOLERABLE AND UNBELIEVABLY POOR.
ID
Fremont, California

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article