Summerlin House is a JOKE

My experience is the same as below!!! Got tons of emails BEFORE she got out $1000 deposit!! Oh wait NON REFUNDABLE deposit!! Then she goes MIA.. We gave her a check Saturday afternoon, she took it to our bank and cashed it Monday morning... Can you say TACKY!!!! We want our money back and to cancel our wedding and she refuses to give us any of our $1000 back. Booking our wedding hasn't cost her a dime, yet she feels entitled to my $1000. She is a SICK and DEMENTED person!! I have notified Action 9 Investigates and The Knot to get her OFF their website!!! You are better off having your wedding in a Crack House than at the Summerlin House!!!!!
#520717

Darthmall-

I'm about to do a small claim suit as well. Yea.. i'm sure the money will never show up.

Darthmall,

Nothing's happening with it. She didn't show up so now there's a "judgement" against her, but based on everything else that seems to be going on with her, we're not anticipating getting our money back :(

It gets worse!! She actually cancelled our wedding because I posted this!!

She said she has the right to refuse anyone!! So she cancelled our wedding and plans on keeping our $1000 deposit!! I'm going to creae a Facebook page against her!! And try to get in touch with more people.

Maybe we can get a class action lawsuit. I will post once the page is created.

I'm even going to copy the public records of her eviction and 3 breach of contract lawsuits and post them. Someone needs to shut her down!

Let me know how to help! I had my wedding there in April.

It ended up working out, but it wasn't for her! It was all my other vendors, and she took our money and never laid said vendors until there was threatening small claims actions! She is absolutely insane!! I hear her lease is up this tear and they aren't resigning her, yet..

She's still booking brides!! We need to do something!!

Hope, i've been avoiding sm claims cause i hear it takes forever, how is yours coming along? how long ago did you have this problem with her?

#501981

I had the same issue as all the other posts. I actually just hired her for floral and coordination services (at another venue).

She cashed my check and then was completely unavailable. I did take it to small claims court, but she didn't show up for the court date, so a judgement was filed against her.

I'd love to team up with everyone else who's been treated badly by her. She shouldn't get away with running her "business" like this.

i have recently had the same problem, she got $900 from me. I have also contacted channel 9 news.. please let me know how I can help w/ keeping Joyce from doing any more destruction to innocent couples!!

View more comments (6)
Orlando, Florida
Loss

The Summerlin House

My fiancee' and I are "suppose" to get married there also. Since the agreement was signed Aug 11, Joyce has not contacted but one time. I am going to Smalls Claim Court also taking this issue to the news so other brides and grooms do not get shafted. If you would like to contact me, you can at 704-674-****. I want to get as many complaints from other people who had bad experiences with The Summerlin House and Joyce. Your help in this issue will be appreciated by me and others in the near future. Thank you. Harold

Joyce Hensley has over $9,700.00 that was paid to her for my daughter's wedding. This was paid to her over a period of several months starting in late 2011. The first $3,ooo was to secure the "hand picked" vendors that were giving her a special deal. About every month she needed additional monies. My daughter and I drove from Atlanta to Orlando on Easter weekend to meet with the photographer, have a tasting with the caterer, trial hair, cake tasting, etc. She insisted that we drive down Thursday because the caterer could not do tasting on the weekend. We met someone from the catering co Friday (no tasting). The meeting was more like a sales pitch rather than a meeting with someone who already had the business. After we met with the caterer, and photographer, we realized that neither of them had been "secured" needless to say had given special pricing. When the light bulb finally came on and we realized she had done NOTHING, we started making calls. The catered that she claimed to have secured with the deposit and had given special pricing DID NOT even have the date available much less booked for my daughter's wedding. The photographer had not received any deposit. This was discovered when he sent an email to me and my daughter asking if we had decided on a package. We thought this strange since Joyce had requested more deposit money for the additional items we had requested a week prior to his email.

Anytime my daughter or I tried to contact her, she was unreachable. We she needed money, she was very accessible. My daughter decided that she could not deal with the stress and contact Joyce on April 24, 2012 to notify her that she was canceling. After much hostility from Joyce, she agreed to repay ALL monies by the end of May. May 31st came and left…….no money. I finally reached her via text on June 1st and she informed me that she would need to make payments. I had a legal contact drawn up and sent to her with a payment schedule. Surprise!!! NO PAYMENT. She has since blocked incoming calls (maybe just my calls).

Here’s the Hitchcock ending to this very short version of this nightmare. …..Joyce is my sister. Yep, she totally screwed over her own niece.

My daughter did get married on October 19th (not in Orlando) and it was absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Now that the wedding is over I intend to do everything I can to recoup the money.

The best thing that has happened for any brides looking for the perfect wedding is that Joyce Hensley no longer has the Summerlin House.

This women "Joyce" Is claiming to be the editor of a bridal magazine in Orlando now. Taking wedding vendors money!! BEWARE!!!

shes gone she got evicted we all glad shes gone

She needs to be put out of business. She's running a huge scam!

Why is Joyce and the Summerlin House still in business??? She takes your money and then you never hear from her again.

She takes the what should be the happiest experience of your life and turns it into a NIGHTMARE!!!

If you try to backout and cancel (before she does anything for you), goodluck getting you deposit back. She should be in prison!!!

After due diligence, I did recieve my full deposit back from Joyce without taking her to Court. I am now satisfied and can move on with wedding plans.

You're in a long list of many. There are several (including my own) bad reviews on ripoff report and yelp (check the filtered reviews).

She's a real piece of trash. Sorry to hear she got another one.

View more comments (6)
Atlanta, Georgia

The summerlin house screwed me out of time and money

worst experience of my life! Joyce (establishment owner) promised my husband and I the world until we signed the contract, which just happened to not include the verbal agreement we had. After that it would take pulling teeth just to get the woman to respond to my emails and never ever answered her phone. we live an hour away and making appointments with her was close to impossible, she wouldn't try and work with us. Our first appointment with her she didn't even show up and when we tried MULTIPLE times to email her, she finally wrote back to reschedule and would not even acknowledge the fact that she didn't show for her own appointment. During said next appointment another couple showed up and she had no recolection of making an appointment with them and even lightly joked "well im glad i didn't leave ha ha". Joyce told us to come ten minutes early over email for about four appointments and when we would get there she would look at me like you *** and say why are you here so early? We were told in the begining that the floral was included in the contract but of course it didnt end up in the signed contract and we had to come up with the money for flowers. Half the flowers that we paid for we never got. It's just excuse after excuse with this woman and she still hasn't refunded me my money for missing floral going on two months after wedding. She is so rude, I was so embarrassed for our wedding rehearsal Joyce was rushing everyone and bossing my family around so bad that multiple members of my family (after my apologizing for exposing them to this woman) came to me and said that it was obvious she is all about the money and we all felt like we were on an assembly line. After ten minutes of "rehearsal" we were rushed out and told we had to leave property because she had somewhere else to be.

My daughter was married there last October and we also experienced a nightmare with Joyce. She did not honor what was was written in her contract and I intend on taking her to small claims court as well.

I hired my own Bridal Consultant just to keep Joyce from being involved. I would not do business with this woman please stay away from The Summerlin House. She came to the reception and her and her boyfriend ended up getting totally trashed on our alcohol. She also tooke pictures of my daughter from her facebook and placed them on her facebook as a satisfied customer we had to contact her to take the pictures down as she did not have permission to post them on her facebook.

She made what was suppose to be a wonderful experience for my daughter and made it a nightmare. Please BEWARE!!!!!

Do a background check on Joyce and will see she far from being an angel.

Thank you. Harold

I am not sure why ANYBODY would ever consider this venue as a wedding location! Not only did Joyce decide to create her own details on the wedding DAY OF, but if we back up to where the deposit was given-she was MIA after that.

Literally had to be tracked down to then give an attitude, call not only the bride to be but her mother all sorts of names on the phone such as "your such a needy ***". Unprofessional and crazy is what Joyce is.

Fast forward to the wedding-she got the wrong dance floor size and color, the linen on the table looks like it was balled up from god knows how long and it was all wrinkled and looked *** Details such as spray painting flowers on garbage cans 2 hours before the wedding wasn't even the tackiest move of all. She gave a TOUR of the venue AN HOUR before the ceremony took place-this lady has lost her god *** mind and I really really REALLY hope nobody puts themselves through an event with her.

I would rather have seen my friend get married anywhere but here. BEST PART-the DJ was just about done playing his last song when she was literally throwing out drinks, picking up chairs and saying "ITS OVER GO HOME, LEAVE I DONT HAVE TIME TO DEAL WITH WALKING AROUND YOU PEOPLE"...aww isn't that a great impression to leave your guests with remembering?

Joyce at the Summerlin house is a complete nightmare. I can not believe that she is still in business.

Same story as above, once you book the venue you can never get ahold of her and she is very rude. She can't remember from one day to the other what she tells you.

She makes promises and does not follow through on them even includes services in her contract of which she does not provide. Stay clear from this place it is not worth the aggrivation and stress this woman puts you through she is very unprofessional.

Joe,

While I applaude your attempting to defend Joyce, I believe the potential customers should do additional research on this woman/venue. Upon further research, I found that not only has she been sued by her vendors for not paying but also the venue is in the process of being evicted. I would have real concern if I have booked an event there for the near future.

I have worked with Joyce many times and I find it hard to believe any of this to be true. Joyce has always been a stickler about appointments and going out of her way to help a couple in need, even spending her own money to make the weddings she has facilitated go perfect.

It's too bad and unfortunate that people can bad mouth other people with out any evidence to back their allegations up. I came across this post and know Joyce and have worked with her enough to know these claims are absolutley fraudulent and its just people trying to squeeze money out of an honest person.

Please post on rip off report and join others like you who have recently been victim to Joyce Adams and the Summerlin House.

View more comments (7)
Orlando, Florida
Loss

About

Summary

In the heart of downtown Orlando's trendy Thornton Park sits The Summerlin House. Built in 1915, this historic home will welcome your guests with the character and ...

The Summerlin House reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article