Company closed and locked out employees took customers money

I received a text message from a friend who advised me that Tan and Tone America stores have unofficially locked it's doors. This has happened as a result of financial issues. However, any customer on automatic draft was debited monthly dues for July and not compensated or advised they no longer could work out until today. My dues came out on July 19th and soon after the owner broke keys in all the metro location locks to the stores so the employees could not enter the facility. I feel the most for the hard working women of Tan and Tone who now are suddenly out of a job with no official heads up or explanation. As of now the owners only expressed their sincere apologies to the employees and customers via their website. This is horrible. We have no way of contacting anyone about our money we have lost and the company failed to offer up a time to refund any customer or pay any of their employees.
ID
Atlanta, Georgia

Shut down company with less than 24 hr norice

This company, ran by Ed Shelby, has been around for 26 years, the past 10 have been going downhill. Instead of letting its employees know about the issues, they just worked us harder. The Shelby's decided to have the store closed on Sunday's, effective 7/22/12. On this day, I went to my store in the morning because I had left some belongings behind. When I got there and went to unlock the door, there was a key in the lock that had been broken off. Unable to get it out and unlock the door, I called my assistant manager. Her and I were supposed to open the next day at 7am so we knew we needed it fixed ASAP. Later I received a call from my general manager. She explained that the other managers had discovered broken keys in the locks of their store so they contacted Ed. He then confessed that he had broken the keys in the locks, and that tan and tone was no longer in business. He said he had planned to go back that evening to all 11 locations that he had broken keys in the locks and put signs on the door saying we were closed for good, with no warning to the employees or our customers. Nearly a hundred of people are now without jobs and hundreds of customers have been taken advantage of. Anyone with a membership at tan and tone gets they're bank accounted drafted on the 19th of every month. Therefore, they had just paid their monthly dues and the Sheblys shut down the business. I understand finances can sometimes break companies, but the way they did it was unprofessional, childish, and cowardly. They will not answer anyone asking about refunds, nor will they answer the employees who need their belongings from their tam and tone locations. I worked for this company for 8 months, and they had me believed I had a future here which is exactly what I needed to provide for my new growing family. The Shelby's have screwed over ALOT of people, without a glimpse of remorse.

Does anyone know if they r going to draft again?

#520685

One of my coworkers said that there's a way for us to get our last weeks check. I'm gonna go see her tonight and find out how to do it and I'll post it on here when I figure it out.

I was an employee at Tan & Tone and i still haven't received my check from the week before last. This whole thing is ridiculous and uncalled for. Ed should of acted as an adult and let his customers and employees know that this was coming.

:( I am furious that they drafted my money & closed!!!!!

My bank stopped future drafts and they will work on getting this month's payment back. I don't really know what to say to those who paid a year in advance, surely there is some legal remedy.

Rejola, the only way to get any money back is to go to your bank with a copy of the letter on the tan and tone website and dispute the charge that they drafted from your account. Nothing has been said about any refunds from the company itself though.

I hope there's a way to take Ed to court, and I'll post it on here, but as of right now... Everyone's all screwed.

i have filed a complaint with the attorney generals office online and you can go to the better business bureau website and file a complaint.i even called the 728-**** office number for ed shelby and left him a nasty message!!! made me feel better, but i feel really sad for carol, the manager at my tan n tone and michele and the rest of the ladies that worked there.

My daughter has worked for Tan and Tone for a little over a year. She received notice from her GM Sunday evening that she did not need to come to work Monday or any other day because the company had shut down permanently in the Metro.

Her GM was just as shocked as all the customers and other employees. Apparently only the owners knew of this plan. The owners mailed the employees hand written checks for their wages from week before last and stated that this check would be their final one meaning that all the hours the employees put in last week, July 16th through July 22nd, would not be paid.

So in my daughter's case she was just worked like a dog for forty hours plus commission for products she sold for absolutely nothing to show for it!! What a total mess and shame on the owner for treating his hard working employees and dedicated customers like insignificant garbage!!

Well i paid for a full year in feb. but we need to be looking at it like, you can't get money out of someone that doesn't have none!! Let's figure out how we can get it back open, with some thinking positive, i bet it can happen.

If you go to Channel 4 kfor.com they have a link to the attorney general's office where you can file a complaint.

View more comments (19)
ID
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article