Refusal to refund deposit and ethical issues

Update by user Aug 16, 2013

I submitted my email contract and deposit by paypal the first week in June. When it got closer to the projected date for pick-up of the horse in NY, I tried for several days to contact her by phone and all I go was a message saying the voicemail box was full.

When I finally got in touch with her she claimed to not have received the contract or the deposit. After a brief search she found the deposit, but not the contract. At first I was willing to go ahead and resubmit the contract and go ahead with the transport. However, after expressing concern that the owner of the horse may not have time to get the vet check and Coggins done, she said, "Don't worry about that.

I can have that done when I get to KY." When I questioned the legality of leaving NY without the paperwork she said, "It's only a problem if I have to stop at a check point and most of them are closed." So, in other words, she considered it illegal only if she got stopped. This raised many red flags for me, so after a day or two, I sent her a text message telling her I was not comfortable with her solution and would make other arrangements. Until now I was unaware that she doesn't text. Since she also doesn't answer her phone, I thought it would be a better way by writing it out.

As far as I am concerned we did not have a contract, because I did not resubmit one. She made the trip for other clients and didn't know I was still on board until I finally got in touch 4 days before scheduled pick-up due to lost contract in cyberspace, etc. As to the last comment--I never said the horse and dogs were gifts. One dog was a gift.

The other dog and the horse came at a hefty price.

As yes, it is a VERY expensive horse--not the dime-a-dozen nags she is use to hauling!! :(

Update by user Aug 16, 2013

The other dog and the horse came at a hefty price.

Original review posted by user Jul 16, 2013
Around the first of June I submitted an online contract and paid $600 deposit by Paypal to Tavern Tack Transport for the transport of a Gypsy Cob horse from Worcester, NY to Bloomfield, IA, to be picked up on or around June 22. When I had not heard from Lorna by June 17, I contacted her by phone. (It took 2 days of calling to finally not get her voicemail saying her mailbox was full.) At that time she was totally unaware that I was still expecting to use her service. She claimed that she had not received the email contract nor the $600. Upon my request she searched her Paypal account and found that I had paid the deposit and she was still able and willing to pick up the animal. At first I was willing to resubmit the contract, but was concerned about the seller not having enough time to get a vet check and Coggins test done in time. Her response to my concern was that she could get the tests & vet check done in Kentucky. When I questioned the legality of that she said it was only a problem if she had to go through a check point and that most of them were now closed. I was appalled that she was willing to take my very expensive horse without a proper vet check or Coggins. If she was willing to do that for me I assume she is willing to do this for others as well with the rationale that breaking the law was only a problem if you got caught!! For me it was a problem because she was asking me to take it on faith that other horses that she was transporting at the same time would not infect my $17,000 horse! I sent her a text message the next day telling her that I was not comfortable with her attitude and wanted my money back. I did not submit a new contract. I also filed a dispute with the Paypal resolution center on July 5, when she did not respond to my text and email. Today I contacted Paypal about escalating the dispute, but she had already escalated the dispute saying that the deposit was non-refundable. I would accept that if I had sent a new contract, which I did not. Basically I want my $600 back and I want her to transport horses with the appropriate paper work.
#992013

Lorna will do her best to work with people. It sounds as though you made errors and want your money back.

I have used their service multiple times and on a very regular basis for high end show horses to be hauled to and from Kentucky to Michigan and vis versa. I have never once had any issues and they have always been very easy to work with and communicate with and they care for the horses extremely well. I will continue using their service for my business and clients.

Lorna shipped yearling filly from Oh to AL for me. They were nothing but courteous and friendly.

She arrived in excellent condition as promised.

They even stopped off at their house for one night (after calling and asking if that was ok) and put her in their barn to rest before they delivered the next day. Love them and would not hesitate to use again!!

We have used Lorna and her hauling service multiple times with absolutely zero issues and 100% professionalism. I am not sure what went wrong here...but it is unfair to slam this business.

This complaint should be taken up privately but since it wasn't, they have been nothing but fantastic for our deliveries across the USA and we have had zero issues.

Tack Tavern Twining is the ONLY transport we use on our farm. Lorna and her crew are extremely professional and easy to contact.

This is a business that depends on timing and keeping the trailer full. Time is money and if you backed out deposits should not be refunded because she could have filled that space, she is losing money when you back out.

Also the FIRST thing they ask before they loaded our animals every time was to have the paperwork. Again we have used them many times and will continue to do so!

Read my update. I still want and deserve my $600 back. Do not use Tavern Tack Transport!!

@Noboru Wto

I made the trip to transport your horses and dogs. I was willing and able.

I have a contract for hauling. Deposits are not refu cable if I make the trip. You have the opportunity to reschedule transport with only the balance due. All horses are transported with neg coggins and HC.

I have refused to load horses without proper paperwork. It is obvious you are a disgruntled customer I have offered to reschedule .

There is nothing I can do to please you and you are not getting your deposit back. I made the trip and will not pay for this cost out if my pocket when it was a trip for your animals.

I was in NY ready and willing to transport this horse and dogs for her. I return all calls and emails , I do not text.

She cancelled this transport for her horse and 2 dogs at this time due to lack of paperwork. I have been waiting for months for her to re-schedule shipment. All horses are tranported with current coggins and HC. READ MY CONTRACT.

If I make the trip deposits are non-refundable. It was my understanding the horse and dogs were being given to her, now its an expensive horse?

View more comments (7)
ID
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article