Horrible recruiting add

Starbugs Academy - Horrible recruiting add
I just came across their job advertising by “David” on Seriousteachers.com that included these words - “No drama queens, prima donnas, or drunks; racists, sexists, homophobes, and Trump supporters need not apply”. “David” must be a real idiot if he thinks he can attract an employee this way. They’ve already generated a lot of negative publicity online. I’ve been living and working in China for twelve years, and I am aware of these kind of “foreign employers”. Stay away from that kind of people.
ID

DO NOT WORK HERE

DO NOT TEACH HERE! This school treats teachers like slaves. There are several different contracts and the penalties are outrageous, for example, you will be fined 1000rmb per hour if you miss a class, even if you give advanced notice. A friend of mine was fired because she missed a class due to food poisoning, but did not go to the doctor to get a note because, like anyone else who gets food poisoning, you just stay home and take medicine, you don't go outside while you are dealing with that. The company is notoriously run horribly. YOu have to punch in 15 minutes before each class, and if you get there at 7:45 for an 8am class, and the school is still locked, you will still have to pay a penalty even though you could not get in to the school in the first place. Fair warning, teach somewhere else.

I worked there before. It is a very misleading place.

I thought it would be great. Then things started to change. Micromanaging, outrageous penalties, and cheating and lying. Payday was the worst day.

Half the time the salary was wrong. Never in the teacher's favor. Then, you had to argue with accounting for hours, in which they would carry it over to the next month.

You may want to stay in the country to ensure you receive your last paycheck. Or you may not receive it at all!

They changed their name to Starbugs Creativity English. Probably because of all the negative publicity, and poor reputation.

No one I know left on good terms. If you come to China to work there, it's likely going to be a short stay!

I worked in China for about a decade. This company easily one of the worst.

It looks clear and modern, but they are shady, dishonest, and have a very high turnover. Any reviewer who says this place is good, doesn't know what a good school is.

I knew of three teachers who were threatened with violence. One of them was threatened for trying to leave his contract.

I've taught part-time there part time and I've been impressed. The founder of the school gets to know everyone personally and takes everyone out for drinks and dinner every month or two.

He asks for feedback about the curriculum or anything else.

I even got a class observation and feedback to help me improve. The other part time teachers I recommended there also like it, as do the full-time teachers at the center I'm at.

This school employed some of the most oppressive employer techniques of any school I worked for in China.

This school misleads, lies, cheats, and threatens their teachers with criminals. No b.s. stay away from that *** who runs the show!

Wow I can't believe this school is still around screwing teachers out of their money. Shame on them.

View more comments (6)
ID
Shanghai, Shanghai
Reason of review
Poor customer service

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article