Spot Reviews

Show reviews that mention
service account website money business charge messenger service messenger online renewal
Filter review

No way on website to discontinue service

I called the next business day and arranged to discontinue my account. I did not get a response online.
Strum, Wisconsin

How to cancel account

I called the next business day and as able to cancel my account.
ID

To make sure my account was cancelled

Can someone please verify my account has been canceled. Thank you. Joanne Balcom

User's recommendation: It was easy to follow my husband when he's on the trail.

Portland, Oregon

Verified Reviewer

Umauthorised charge on my credit card

ESN: 0-300**** Account #: AC00510660 Invoice Date: 01-JUL-2020 you have charged me for another year of SPOT service which i did not authorise Please refund the charge of USD 244.93

User's recommendation: If you give your credit card details to this company they will keep charging it annually and it is very difficult to stop them.

ID
#2057561 Review #2057561 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Product
Spot Subscription
Pros
  • System operates
Cons
  • Unauthorised charging of credit card

Verified Reviewer

DO NOT TRUST SPOT

A charge of $265.93 suddenly appeared on my debit card without any notification. I called my bank to find out what the charge was for. I went to the SPOT website and a one year renewal is not that expensive. So, I wonder if they set me up for two years without my permission. I am going to try to get my money back. Very disappointed with this situation. I wish I had seen other's comments before purchasing my unit. I think I will write to Cabela's to tell them to stop carrying SPOT equipment. That should hurt SPOT'S pocketbook!
ID
Cons
  • Automatic renewal without choices or notification
Reason of review
renewal of subscription without notice

Junk equipment will not update-$224.00 charge

As stated above, the "Free/Rebated" equipment will not update on the SPOT website.
ID
Pros
  • Great idea
Cons
  • Can not opt out
  • Expensive
Poor customer service

No quiero renovar el servicio de spot
Llevo un año reclamándoles el cobro inadecuado del dispositivo 0-257**** ya que se había contado 2 veces su renovación, una atraves de la página y otra atraves de una agencia colaboradora en España. Tengo varios correos que certifican lo que estoy contando. Hoy me veo que me lo volvéis a cobrar y no estoy deacuerdo. No consigo hablar con ninguna persona atraves del teléfono. Así que tomaré las medidas oportunas. Un saludo

GUS*SPOT MESSENGER 866-651-****

SPOT apparently buries an annual renewal clause in their contract which gets signed and then FRAUDULENTLY doesn't include any information in their initial customer service letter that indicates you have signed up for an automatic renewal, even though they have plenty of room to do that. They send one renewal letter 60 days ahead of billing you and the bill is for the whole year. Cancellation is one year out, no prorating of the bill so they are more interested in gouging users for services they aren't using than providing an honest service. Also, there is no place to turn off your service on their website since that would be too easy for the consumer. Expect long waits on the phone and thick accents. Interesting device, but fraudlent business practices, which should make you worry about their real business viability in an emergency if they need to steal your money to stay afloat with fine print contracts.

I had the exact same problem last year. You have to sign up for an annual service but no reminder prior to the charge appearing in your credit card account.

I ended up paying two years for a service that I actually used for three weeks. Very unethical.

Had same type of issue. tried to de-activate my account...can't do it online.

called support. got put on hold then told no one available to cancel. Person told me they would register my cancellation request. Phoned back two days later.

Had to again wait only to be told it was pending. Company is pethetic and obviously bleeding money.

Now have blocked payments from by credit card and bank account. That should get their attention

Yes, and the option to cancel on the website is almost unfindable. Very frustrating. Poor practice.

scam

Same thing with me. They somehow scammed my charge card number after I reported fraud and billed me again. Seems like huge scam company never use them again.

Do no do business with this company. They are horrible and only interested in separating you from your money.

Same problem. Omg.

Fraud,fraud, fraud. I did get my money back though.

Sorry was company. Never again

Same thing happened to us. This was especially aggravating to us because we had two spots and neither one was working by the time the subscription renewed.

This was after about 6 months of gentle use sailing, and another six months in storage. It was better that we found out that these things were broken before we actually needed to use them. As far as I am concerned, Spot products are junk and should not be counted on as safety devices.

And Spot policies are apparently designed to take your money rather than to provide you with a service. I suppose Spot came always claim that "all the survivors were satisfied." Maybe that should be their company motto?

We had the exact problem. $214.98 was charged onto our Credit card for a yearly renewal.

We called the company saying we never used this devise as it was to difficult to understand. They said there was nothing they could do for us.

We wrote them a letter with no response. We disputed the fee on our credit card company and again they could not help us.Horrible business to work with, would never buy from this company.

你們公司發生了重複扣款的問題。

View more comments (13)
Product
Spot Subscription
Not as described/ advertised

SPOT Marine Messenger deducted money online for service I didn't know was in use.

SPOT MARINE MESSENGER SERVICE (similar to "Onstar", but for marine emergencies) deducted money ($167.58) from my checking account last night (3/21/12). I told them several months ago that I did not want my service renewed for another year, but they tried in December to do the activation anyway. That deduction did not happen, but today (3/22/12) they said THE SERVICE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED SINCE DECEMBER. They did not notify me of this and now, FOUR MONTHS LATER!!, they make a deduction for another full year of service dating back to December. I told their representative that I had no idea they had chosen to activate my subscription, that I had not used it even once, but still they would not refund the entire amount of the deduction they made. They said I owed them money for the four months the service was activated from December until no. SPOT MESSENGER SERVICE IS A THIEF !!! They activate service without your knowledge, much less your approval, then they make deductions without your approval and refuse to reimburse you when you challenge their transactions. DON'T PURCHASE THE SPOT MESSENGER SERVICE HARDWARE OR THEIR SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE!!! THEY ARE DISHONEST!!!

While the Spot Messenger has it's uses, in my case (I'm a pilot) I decided to rely on my EPIRB that can pinpoint my location if activated so I decided to let the subscription lapse.

I tried online to cancel the automatic subscription renewal of my Spot Messenger, but for some reason it would not allow it. I then tried to delete my credit card, but it would not allow that either, although it would permit a new or updated credit card.

Because my card was due to expire a few months before the renewal was due, I figured it would not transact the payment on an out of date card. In spite of that, the transaction was processed and my account debited.

Melbourne, Florida

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article