Philippe B

Discrimination

I was shopping in the Manhattan Beach REI Garage sale store. I was having trouble breathing because i had my mask on for a while. I pulled it down below my nose for less than 5 min when an employee asked me to pull it up. I explained to him how i was feeling. He responded with store policy mandates and then got the manager. The manager told me it i didnt pull my mask up over my nose i would have to leave the store. I handed all the itmes over to the manager and left. I felt demoralized and shamed by REI. This shouldnt happen.
Cons:
  • Nazis
  • Civil rights violation shall

Preferred solution: Sue REI for civil rights violation

User's recommendation: Do not shop here any longer. The company and its employees do not respect individual rights.

Guest

The health department can close REI if they don't follow the rules. It's not discrimination.

Derp derp. Besides, the nose is a coronavirus super spreader so keep that ish covered. The employees don't want to get sick either.

This is not about just you. Get over it.

Joanne H Tdj

Verified Reviewer
| map-marker Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Service

September 8, 2020, paid the remaining balance of my loan of $4,000.00 for my pop-up camper. Rep told me the title would come in 3 weeks. It is now 10/27/20. I talked to 3 different reps and they told me they would transfer me to Marla the supervisor of the title dept. One rep hung up on me. The other rep transferred me into Marlas phone and when I left a message for a call back, it NEVER happened. The rep said she would leave a email message for Marla. Oh, I did talk to a fourth rep and they said it was on its way. That was Wednesday and I am still waiting. I will never use that bank again. I do not know what else to do. I am selling my pop-up and have a buyer. I so need the title. I cant sell without a title.
Pros:
  • Quality of the hats and cleats

Preferred solution: The title

User's recommendation: Good Luck with Merrick Bank

Patrick C Tee
map-marker Atlanta, Georgia

Um... WTF?!?

I bought a Cannondale Bad Boy 1 from REI just yesterday at their NE Expressway location in Atlanta. Thus far I've found the hold times for their phone system to amount to a part time job. Most people who can afford their products simply don't have time for that. But, I suppose it's better than when they forget to take their system off the nighttime voice message that gives you an inordinately long spiel and then promptly hangs up on you, during business hours. So, I was assured that their mechanics had "put a wrench on it" to insure that everything was properly assembled and tuned before I picked up my new bike. This morning I was excited to head out for my first ride. As soon as I descended my first hill, when I went to apply the rear brakes, the disc separated from its mount on the rear hub and was then of course completely inoperative. Additionally, no one seems to have much if any knowledge of some of the more unusual components on the bike. For example, how do you charge the Supernova battery that supplies power to the light built into the front fork? One would think that the bike purchase would include the requisite USB charger, but it was not included. I'm not sure if Cannondale does not include one, or REI dropped the ball. Either way, I'm amazed that an obviously mandatory accessory would not be included with the purchase of a bike that retails for roughly $1,800. I mean, seriously? The last time I bought a cheapo set of Bluetooth earbuds, they came with the USB charger needed. It appears they don't even publish a model specific owners manual. Has anyone else had similar experiences with REI or Cannondale? They're both reputable companies that offer high quality products, but so far my experience has been decidedly subpar.
Reason of review:
Poor customer service

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

map-marker Bloomington, Minnesota

REI shared email address with spammer

I am getting emails for the benefit of REI, such as "REI Charging Backpack Holiday anti theft backpack" When I bought two clothing items at REI, I gave my email address but DID NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR THIRD PARTIES TO SOLICIT ME. It is frustrating to get emails not signed by the sender. Unsubscribe is not supported without entering an email address. "http://kolmateris.com" is the web site that sends the unsubscribe request. The surface mail address for the unsubscribe is in Australia: See the following quote, "Click Here To Unsubscribe Or Write To: 501 Church St: Richmond VIC 3121" Long story short, I RECOMMEND do not share your email address with REI.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Quality of the hats and cleats
Cons:
  • Price
Reason of review:
Allowed a spammer to contact me.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

Bryceton Vnn
map-marker Los Angeles, California

Never again from these people

I purchased from them, got a notice that my card was charged i waited 10 days and still no updates, they then tell me they had to refund my card since they had a feeling i was a fraudulent customer, however, it has been 20 days, no refund has been provided to my card, all my emails are being ignored and they deleted my Facebook comment. I'm in contact with my card company on this, they are providing me with the refund but this entire process has been painful and definitely not easy to deal with I want everyone planning to purchase from these guys to think twice and don't make the same mistake that i did. Please avoid
Dr. Laurence E. L
map-marker Reno, Nevada

Culture of corruption: Why you cannot trust REI CEO Sally Jewel, nor managers Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, and Angel Currier Related post at http://www.seattleweekly.com/2003-06-18/news/who-owns-rei/ Fellow REI Co-op members and customers: I'm writing to urge you to support the REI Board of Directors in ousting CEO Sally Jewel and her overpaid, unethical management staff. And to replace her with an honest leader who will restore REI's roots of integrity and customer service. If the current Board refuses to do this, then I enjoin you to begin petitioning and voting to replace its membership with upstanding Directors who WILL replace Sally Jewel and her overpaid, unethical management staff. Brad Brown is the Executive Vice President of REI's E-commerce Division. He reports directly to Sally Jewel. On 4-Apr-2011, Brad consummated a lie to a customer and REI Co-op member … me. In a previous conversation, on 24-Mar-2011, Brad had pledged that he would find out and tell me why Angel Currier, a supervisor under his reporting chain, had deliberately ignored my request to put me in contact with her boss. Rather than stem the tide of unethical malpractices under his purview, Brad Brown chose to reinforce them, and lie. Ladies and gentlemen, please understand wrongful action that gave rise to this debacle. On 3-Mar-2011, I responded to an email sent to me, that same day, by Angel Currier. According to the job title at the end of that communication, Angel was (and, unfortunately, remains) an REI Online Supervisor. After explaining that I was not satisfied with Angel's answer about why my REI online account had been deleted, I concluded with "… let's escalate this to your boss. Kindly get back to me, sometime today, by sending me his or her name, title, telephone number, and email handle." Timestamped 17:02:11 PM PT, an email read receipt from Angel acknowledges the above request. Ladies and gentlemen, Angel Currier never did send me her boss' name, title, telephone number and email handle. In fact, she never contacted me at all. Not the day of my request, not the next day, not ever. Ladies and gentlemen, here you have an REI Online Supervisor, Angel Currier, intentionally refusing to place a customer (and REI Co-op member) into contact with her boss, even after being requested to do so, in writing, and even after acknowledging the request with an electronic read receipt. Ladies and gentlemen, Angel Currier, an REI Online Supervisor, deliberately dissed a customer! Speaking on behalf of REI Co-op stewardship, ladies and gentlemen, Angel Currier should have been fired. This is not about Angel Currier interposing a delay in passing a complaint up the management chain. Rather, it is a clear-cut case of Angel Currier, an REI Online Supervisor, burying that complaint. In so doing, Angel egregiously betrayed the trust of REI Co-op members and customers. Things are even worse than that. Not until 15-Mar-2011, almost two weeks after I had asked Angel Currier to provide me with contact information for Angel's boss, did Eileen Pollack, Direct Sales Operations Manager, (two levels up the management chain from Angel) get back to me on this complaint. Moreover, Eileen emailed me only after I had followed up on my own, by placing a call to Bill Baumann, Information Technology Vice President at REI. According to Bill, Angel Currier was not under his line of employee reporting. To his credit, however, Bill said that he would pass my request to be put in touch with Angel's boss onto Noel Nelson. Noel, it appears, is Eileen Pollack's boss. The timeline is relevant: in our 4-Apr-2011 conversation, Brad Brown tried to spin things to sound like Eileen Pollack's response to me was just a delayed answer to my initial request to Angel Currier! Likely as not, Brad will try to blow smoke like this toward anyone who will inhale it. When Eileen and I finally spoke on the telephone, she revealed that she had not even spoken to Angel Currier about the matter. Barring urgent sick leave or family emergency, I impressed onto Eileen that Angel Currier should be fired, on the grounds of intentional customer mistreatment. In retrospect, the same goes for Eileen: like Brad Brown, she lied. In a 24-Mar-2011 phone call with her and Noel Nelson, and like Brad Brown later on, Eileen reneged on her pledge to find out and tell me why Angel Currier, a supervisor under Eileen's reporting chain, had deliberately ignored my request to be placed into contact with Angel's boss. Eileen and Noel offered crocodile-tear apologies, but would not let Angel Currier offer an apology or explain herself. Of course, Eileen and Noel also insisted that they would not fire Angel. Ladies and gentlemen, please support the REI Board of Directors in reversing that decision. Which brings us to my disappointing but not surprising conversation last week with REI CEO Sally Jewel. Predictably, and just like a southern redneck sheriff, she confirmed that she stands behind her boys and girls. Seriously, folks, you could smell her bovine excrement through the phone. Cowering behind a vague reference to laws protecting confidentiality, Sheriff Sally asserted that her organization takes corrective measures in cases like this. Poppycock! The only proper corrective measure is to oust Sheriff Sally and her bobbleheaded deputies: Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, and Angel Currier. REI CEO Sally Jewel concluded by dismissing my complaint as a relatively minor matter. Relatively minor? Just imagine, ladies and gentlemen, a law officer roughing up some poor soul in a cotton patch in Jim Crow Mississippi. The local sheriff might give the deputy a "talking to", but (heavens forbid) would never admit to wrongdoing, much less fire the deputy, for such a relatively minor matter. Instead, southern law enforcement would close ranks, stonewall, and protect their own. In sheltering Deputy Angel Currier, REI Sheriff Sally Jewel and her underlings – Eileen Pollack and Brad Brown – are smugly confident that they can get away with a white-collar variant on Jim Crow corruption. Don't let them get away with it. Fellow REI customers, setting aside the embarrassing e-commerce incompetence that led to all this, do you consider Angel Currier's intentional dissing of a customer to be – as Sally Jewel puts it – a relatively minor matter? Is lying and stonewalling on the part of Eileen Pollack and Brad Brown relatively minor? Fellow REI Co-op members, do you really want to keep on paying the inflated salaries of Sheriff Jewel and her deputies, despite their wink-and-nod unethical behavior? As a glimpse of the e-commerce incompetence that gave rise to this debacle, under Brad Brown, REI online accounts are deleted after just one year of activity, regardless whether the REI member, who has also signed up for the online account, had any purchase activity. That is, Brad Brown is too gall-danged lazy to have his bloated organization figure out whether you are an REI Co-op member; instead he'll just delete your online account after a year of inactivity, and without as much as courtesy email. When asked why REI does this, Brad's staff replied, at first, that that was to "save bandwidth" (consistent with the demise of the American educational system, they don't even know what bandwidth is). But then Angel Currier, bolstering Brad's Brown's practice of encouraging idiots-by-choice, replied that REI does this "in order to optimize data storage". Is that so, Angel? How many fractions of a cent do you think REI saved by being so quick on the draw to purge my online REI account? How about optimizing for customer service? No, that's not a priority for Angel Currier. Nor is it the main goal for Eileen Pollack, Brad Brown, or - especially - REI's CEO, Sally Jewel. Beyond promulgating their idiocracy of self-congratulatory arrogance, the facts of this experience expose how Sheriff Sally Jewel and her deputies prefer cover-their-rear self-preservation to ethical behavior. Can you say "Richard Nixon"? How much money do Sally Jewel and her administrative assistants suck from the REI Co-op? What is the dollar expense whereby Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, and Angel Currier continue to enrich themselves, remaining on the payroll of the REI Co-op? If, on one hand, you want to perpetuate Sheriff Jewel's corrupt idiocracy of self-congratulatory arrogance, then pin a medal on her and her deputies, and urge them to Sally forth, metastasizing REI into the Enron of the Outdoor Equipment Industry. Watch your back, though. If they did me wrong (and they did), then they'll do wrong to you and to other customers. On the other hand, ladies and gentlemen, if you agree that REI should return to its Co-op roots of integrity and value, then support the Board in its actions to oust Sally Jewel and her minions. Failing that, replace them all with real professionals who, by contrast, will actually deliver honest service for honest pay. Unless and until we excise this ulcerative cancer, REI Co-op members, customers, and employees will be subjugated to the likes of Angel Currier, Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack and Sally Jewel – corruptocrats who will continue to betray our trust. Longtime REI Co-op Member
Guest

The premise of this post is absurd. The initial event that caused the consumer to contact REI, the deleted account, sounds slight and easily remedied. I would like to know why the consumer felt the need for information from someone higher in the company. I am assuming that the Online Supervisor provided a way for the consumer to remedy this deleted account situation.

The consumer's reaction to not receiving a response to his/her email is unreasonable. No one deserves to be fired for neglecting an email. The Online Supervisor probably received 100+ emails that day. All are important, but it's not surprising that one doesn't get a second follow-up every once in a while.

I am surprised that the CEO of REI (plus the other leadership) took the time to speak to the consumer. From the description of the consumer, the CEO sounds entirely right: the matter seems relatively minor, a CEO should stand behind his/her employees and confidentiality laws do exist (it concerns me that this came up at all as I assume the consumer must have been asking personal information about the Online Supervisor). This all paints REI in a pretty good light.

Please don't dismiss my response to this as a planted one from REI. I actually work for one of their competitors. It just pains me to read posts like this.

Guest

I'm in the court of the complainer. No supervisor in the service sector should ever feel entitled to blow off a customer. The name-calling commenters sound like plants from REI or, perhaps, remarks from one of those paid-for "reputation salvagers"

Guest

You have unrealistic time frames for action, and slamming their CEO for something a person probably 10 levels down the chain did is ridiculous. You said you talked to her?

What other large company of that many employees...let's say 15,000...between 100 stores and a few distribution centers and their corporate campus...would EVER acknowledge a customer.

I think you catalyzed your anger from fuming to ***-ridiculous. Go for a hike.

Guest

So, let me get this straight...You are pissed because an account (that you didn't use), at a toy store (selling things you don't need) got cancelled? :cry

***

(kudos for owning "poppycock" and "gall-danged" in the same post though.)

Dr. Laurence E. L

Sounds like our expletive-spouting random person IS Sally Jewel, or perhaps Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, or Angel Currier :cry. Or maybe the commenter is a relative (even if separated at birth) of Sally Jewel, Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, or Angel Currier :( Or, if not, then a cohort, spouse, or fuming surrogate of Sally Jewel, Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, or Angel Currier :eek In any event, read the account: the case is not mainly about deletion of an online account.

Rather it is about a pattern of incompetence, neglect, abuse, coverup, and lying … starting with Angel Currier, and running right on up the rotten ranks - from Eileen Pollack, to Brad Brown, to Sally Jewel. Congratulations!

Thanks to untrustworthy people like this, REI is no longer an ethical, member-responsive Co-Op. Sally Jewel, Brad Brown, Eileen Pollack, and Angel Currier epitomize the erosion of business integrity in the United States.

Hello,

you are an ***. REI deleted your online account and you went through all this trouble to complain? get a life...

View more comments (5)

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article