Magazine Scam

I do not normally do this but here goes. I was called by Readers Services this morning 9/25. They tell me that I have subscribed to receive magazines for the next 5 years and that they have my info but have to verify. When pressed their answer was either you provide that or because you committed to a 3rd party you will be invoiced $79 rather than 29 per month for the 5 years. By providing the info them they would get rid of automatic renewal and lower the monthly price to $29 for only 20 months. Several times I asked where I signed up for this and they said they don't have the info they are only the fulfillment side. When pressed further they lowered the monthly price to $19. After the call I called their service department to complain and ask where I was signed up and the answer was that at some point I must have ordered some magazines which makes me a lead they were following up but if I didn't want it they would cancel the subscription. So at this point supposedly it is cancelled. This was a complete BS Scam to somewhat force me to order. Stay far away and don't be tricked.
Pleasant Hill, California
Product
Readers Services Of America Subscription

Readers Services of America sent me a phony bill

I got a bill from Reader Services of America stating that it was the final notice and that I was over due on payments for magazine subscriptions which I never ordered. The amount was over $300 for 8 months of magazines. When I called the 1-888 number they said my account was in collections and transferred my call. The collections department said that I owed over $600 and that the $300 was just to get my account current. When I asked them to supply me with verification that I actually ordered the magazines (my signature on a paper) they gave me a date in March saying I ordered them. I told them I hadn't and refused to do anything else until they sent me verification and they quickly told me they would cancel my account and reverse any charges so that I would owe nothing. I'm still waiting for written notice of that. Do not believe what these people tell you.

I actually got a bill from Capital Billing Service for $1098.00 for 6 years of magazines I never ordered. They were rude and uncooperative and basically told me that it was a verbal agreement.

They also had the last 4 numbers of an old credit card I had with a bank from years earlier. He told me I would have to file a dispute, which I did. I also contacted my Attorney Generals office who informed me that this is a major pyramid scheme and that they are associated with multiple 3rd party magazine subscription companies who claim they are giving you a promotion but then try to tell you that you owe for it. I have spent days on the phone, sent letters to all of the major credit reporting agencies and also contacted the Better Business Bureau.

While I don't think it is necessary to take as many steps as I did, I do think you need to document everything and definitely report to the Attorney General. I am still waiting for a response to my dispute.

@PissedConsumer938266

I am now in the same predicament as you. I received a similar bill in the mail yesterday.

Was this issue ever resolved for you?

Did you file a dispute with Capital Billing Service?

Thanks in advance, I'm just worried and not sure what to do at this point!

I have gotten many phone calls. I have gotten many magazines that I did not order.

What a waste of good money. I have not gotten any bills, yet I get the phone calls stating that I had ordered the magazines. They even confirmed the credit card number and it was not one of mine.

SO some poor person out there is getting billed for these magazines that I throw away, and get phone calls about. What a waste....

I just got a call from an *** in some collection department saying I owed American Reader's Service over $1,000 for magazine subscriptions I never wanted nor asked for. It seems this shyster outfit has been doing this to others as well.

@PissedConsumer525505

Hi Erik! I am in the same position as you.

Did this issue every get resolved for you?

If you never paid them, did they report you to any credit bureaus? Thanks in advance for your response, I'm just not sure what to do to resolve this bogus claim...

hey thanks for the hint but thier magizines are good. but it's true that some of them are proble corrupt enough to do something that *** f.y.i I kept the copy of my sing. on how much it would cost the second they try to change it i'm canceling my order.

View more comments (6)
Salt Lake City, Utah

Do NOT use Reader Services of America! They scammed me!

I got a phone call explaining that i had been one of the select few chosen to be entered into a $100,000 dollar sweepstakes. They told me I would receive a $400.00 free gas card in the mail just for being chosen. There was a catch indeed, I had to subscribe to some magazines. The prices were rediculos. I however paid the $75.00 fee to receive the magazines and the FREE gas card. About a week and a half i received a letter saying I had to pay for another subscription in order to receive the gas card. Thats not the agreement they had told me. I tried getting the money back they said they'd send me the magazines but I am waiting! Thats a SCAM!!!I'm from Ripley, MS!
Ripley, Mississippi

About

Top Readers Services Of America Products

Subscription

Summary

Readers Services of America is a family owned and operated reading service. It is a leading magazine subscription agency providing quality magazine service to consumers across the country. It has currently serviced over one million satisfied subscribers. Readers Services of America is intended to provide the best periodicals to America along with the benefits offered by its Reading Service Plan. The Reading Service Plan was born out of the consumers' need to have more than just a cash subscription. When ordering from Readers Services of America, one gets such benefits as easy monthly payments; no interest charges; no shipping charges; no taxes payable on orders; huge selection- 100 titles to choose from, switch or add selections; frozen rates guaranteed in writing; easy ordering, etc. Readers Services of America is based in Bellingham, WA.

Readers Services Of America reviews and complaints
Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article