Signed contract & paid deposit = meaningless to owner of rental

I contacted a lady in regards to a house rental back in OCTOBER for when my family comes to visit. I met with her, signed a CONTRACT and PAID A DEPOSIT. During my communications with her, she mentioned she also deals with a realty company, Pytha. I viewed their website and the rental was still showing availability for the week I needed. I asked (multiple times, I may add) why it was showing availability and wanted confirmation that my deposit was holding it. She CONFIRMED each time that it was mine and all would be okay. Low and behold, almost 3 MONTHS later, I get a text message (not a phone call, but a text) that the place was indeed double booked. She said she was working with the realtor (that also booked it) for a solution. I asked multiple times ‘who booked it first?’ No one would give me an answer. This leads me to believe that I booked the unit first. Why else would I be able to see availability through the website had a realtor booked beforehand? Apparently, she forgot to follow up with the realty company to let them know that she, as the OWNER, booked it prior. I was told I also needed to search for another option. Really!?!? I found another place through the realty website, but then was told I had to pay an almost $500 difference to get it. Screw that. I questioned her & the realtor again ‘ who booked it first’? And was never answered. As an owner of a unit, I would be under the impression that she had the final say as to who should have the rental. She claims all responsibility of the mishap and has tried to apologize. Well you know what? If you’re going to claim responsibility, then actually own up to it. Don’t tell me ‘the buck stops with me’ and that you don’t have an answer. Don’t beat around the bush with me and say there is nothing you can do. She claimed this was the first time anything has happened like that. If that’s actually true, she did a ***-poor job of rectifying the situation. I feel she’s just letting the other people rent it since it was through the realtor and that there is some type of profit that was made amongst them. I’m a local – word can spread fast. I will never do business with Cherie Barzelatto or Pytha Realty – EVER. Thank you for screwing me out of 3 months that I could have found a decent replacement. I guess signing a contract and placing a deposit is meaningless. I want to save people any inconvenience by letting them know of my horrible experience. And by all means, if they rented before I signed the contract, then prove me wrong and I’ll shut up.

As one of the owners of Pytha Realty Group I am not sure why this individual has any problem with us. My understanding is she made agreement to rent a unit from the Owner of a property we manage without our knowledge that was already booked.

Once we found out about the the problem we then tried to help her find another place to stay.

As a company doing many rentals for many years we obviously have written binding agreements with our Owners. If an Owner of a property in our rental pool decides to use their property they are required to change the availability in our system which they can easily do via their Owner Portal. In addition our agreement clearly states if the owner attempts to utilize the unit without blocking it out in our system and we have a booking then our guest will get the unit. We spend thousands of dollars a month advertising these units so we have to have this agreement.

Obviously we could not possibly rent units if the Owners don't follow this protocol. In addition our Owners really should not be attempting to rent their unit as they are not properly setup for this and that is why the hired us a rental company.

In regards to our company trying to place this individual into another unit but wanted more money this is correct. We found an available unit and quoted her the normal price.

This was different unit owned by somebody else. Of course the price was more as we charge the required state and local sales taxes, cleaning fees and so forth. Which I am quite sure the Owner was not charging. What we did is tried to help somebody that we had no prior dealings with or knowledge of the transaction by the unit Owner until the problem arose.

Although it was an unfortunate situation for her if she had booked this unit through us a Licensed Real Estate Brokerage she would have never had any problem. We do 100's of rentals in year and have an excellent reputation.

Tim Murray Broker

ID
#581999 Review #581999 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Reason of review
Poor customer service

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article