Refusal to send a repairman to my home to fix an item under warranty

My husband and I purchased furniture from here in March of 2013 and picked it up in May of 2013, less than a year later in April of 2014 one of the items we purchased broke. I phoned the manufacturer to file a warranty claim and was informed that I needed to call the store directly to file the claim. I then phoned the store and was told to email my information and what was wrong to an email address and I would get a call back, I had to then call back again just to get a response to the email. I then spoke with the Assistant Store Manager and was asked to email some more detailed pictures which I did and then he stated that the person that does the repairs wouldn't be back into the store again until Friday and then we could set up the appointment to have the item repaired. I received a phone call on Thursday the 1st from the repairman and we set up a repair date for today May 5th, I then received a phone call on Saturday morning and was told that my repair was not being authorized and that I needed to bring my item to them to have it fixed. I asked for an explanation and what I was told was that the store manager was not approving to pay the drive time to the repairman to come fix my item but they would still fix it if I brought the item to them at which time I stated that that was unacceptable and the assistant store manager stated that he didn't have my address when we first talked and I asked what that had to do with anything and he said that it was because of how far I lived and the drive time it would take the repairman to get here that the manager was not authorizing the payment of the drive time. I then asked to speak to the manager and was told that he wouldn't be back until Monday and I would have to wait for a phone call until then, I said that wasn't a problem and that I would be waiting for the phone call. Fast forward to today, I received a phone call back from the assistant manager and he stated that he spoke with the store manager and he was still refusing to approve the payment so I asked to speak to the manager. I was then placed on hold and the store manager got on the line. I asked him to explain to me why after the repair was already scheduled that it was then cancelled. He then at this time stated that the store policy is that if you pick up your furniture that you are responsible to bring the item in to be repaired but if I had it delivered then they would send someone to me. I then asked why was it that when I purchased the furniture that this was not stated to me and it was not listed on any of the paperwork that we filled out when we first purchased the furniture and he said well we can't put every policy in writing and I don't know why you weren't told about it but this is policy so you can either bring the item to us or you can pay the repairman for his drive time to come to you at which time I again stated that was unacceptable and wanted to know who else I could talk to about getting this resolved and he said the only other person there was to speak to was the owner but he didn't deal with these issues. I then asked how we were going to resolve this and he stated there are two ways either you pay the repairman or you bring the item to us and I again stated that this was unacceptable again. I then went on to ask him how is it that I was supposed to know the store policy if it was never explained to me and it was not in writing and why is it that I am just being told about this now after you found out how far away from the store my home was. He said he wasn't sure but there was nothing more he could do for me. They are trying to scam me instead of standing behind their product because they are now saying that if I would have paid them $100 to deliver my furniture instead of picking it up myself that they would have no problem sending someone to me but because I picked the items up myself it is now my responsibility because they don't want to pay the repairman to fix my item that is covered under warranty. I will never shop at this store again, I will never refer anyone to the store and I will make sure that everyone knows how big of a scam this place is.
ID
Aurora, Illinois
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article