My Potterhill Homes is Moving Due to Code Violations & Poor Workmanship

My Potterhill Homes is Moving Due to Code Violations & Poor Workmanship
Potterhill Homes built a house for me in November 2011. About 16 months ago, there were signs of a serious problem. Potterhill Homes & Residential Warranty Company wasted an entire year refusing to address the issue, pointing fingers at each other, and dragging their feet in the investigation. Now the home is in dire need of fixes that cost money, which I don't have. The video shows it all. Please share the video and if there is anyone out there who can help without taking further advantage of the situation, I am open to suggestion. At the very least, let other people know this is the type of workmanship you might get with this builder.

Holy moly. Are we the same person?

We built in 2015. During the build and since then have had absolutely nothing but trouble and issues that they refuse to fix.

Many in my neighborhood that built with PH have a similar story to ours. My family’s dream home has been nothing but a nightmare.

@Thania Pcj

I know, right? This builder is despicable and I can't believe no one has done anything about it.Even more ridiculous is the amount of apathy I've encountered when dealing with this situation.

All I can say is share my video and let other people know what is going on. Thanks for your comment and I'm truly sorry you're having to deal with the same nightmare.

View more comments (1)
Featured
Miami, Ohio
Potterhill Homes House Construction
Pros
  • Fact that they built netzero homes
Cons
  • Refusal to own their mistakes and fix the situation
Damaged or defective

What a Joke of a Company

It is embarrassing having people over to our house with some of the quality of work that was done. The yard is equally embarrassing as a poor job of grading was done. Good luck trying to get a hold of the warranty department have sent several emails and weeks of no responses. I regret building and will probably never build again because of my expirence. I would add I would never by a pre existing Potterhill built home. Your only as good as the people who work for you!!!!
Alexandria, Kentucky

Pissed customer

Potterhill Homes - Pissed customer
Potterhill Homes - Pissed customer
Hello, We are a couple who purchased a house with Potter hills, it has been a living nightmare. They are the worst company ever to deal with. Dealing with Vicki and others they wrote up what you want and took your money that was okay, except the driveway. The real deal is the people who suppose get the contractors and see that the work gets done. It is terrible how they left our house undone. They lock you out until it's time to do the final walk through. They agreed to have things done at the signing. All lies, we will be in this home a year in October the drive way has not been corrected, cabinets not closing, doors, *** floors coming apart, basement floor, walls cracking. Worst furnace. I telling you don't buy with Potter Hills or Fischer they have some connection. Well Carol has messed with the wrong family. We have our documents and how long the house was left opened and how long it took them to put everything together we have a camera with dates. Why don't we all get together and shame them. I already contacted two news station who is ready to take action. One of the news person has a family member who purchased with Potter hill and is having the same problem. He has given us other information how to go about suing and getting all the work done. I don't mind giving my name and number to families who are ready to take action. One other person is on board.
Potterhill Homes House Construction
Pros
  • People we met when we first decided to go with them
Cons
  • Are liars and disrepectful

Buyer Beware: Potterhill Homes is NOT a reputable company

This is the third home I've had built in my life and I will say, by far, the worse experience with any home building or purchase I have had. Potterhill Homes is deplorable. I've had many discussions with my neighbors who have Potterhill Homes and the same aggravation and fustrations are prevalent throughout the entire neighborhood. We have been in our home for 8 months and have now over 44 items in need if repair along with our "prebuy" punchlist that we are still waiting to have completed. They offer nothing but excuses and never follow up. There is talk among residents in our neighborhood of a class action lawsuit against potterhill for breach of contract and false advertising. Their finish work is horrible for what they are charging for their homes. We have caught their employees stealing water from us for the house being built next door and when confronting Potterhill homes about it, they just say they have a bunch of "nuckleheads" working for them but do nothing about it. We are more than willing to talk to and show our home and the issues we are dealing with to any potential customer so prove this is not made up. We sit directly across from Potterhill's model home in Hopewell Valley neighborhood.
#1519370

We are in the same situation as you with Potterhill. They have not addressed any of our issues. I do not recommend them at all.

I live in the Mills Of Miami neighborhood and sadly your site is not alone. If your community moves forward with any legal action or simply wishes to talk to a fellow community with grievances please stop by anytime.

And you have yet to complain in writing, furnished via Certified Mail return receipt requested : calls and e-mails are worthless - you might as well spit into the wind.If you haven't complained in writing with a specific list of shortcomings and desired remedies, then you have done nothing but spin your wheels...and your neighbors are fools if they think a class action suit is appropriate here - it is not.You had better hurry because your failure to complain properly may have cost you the game.

View more comments (2)
ID
#1199490 Review #1199490 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loveland, Ohio
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Bad costumer service

We signed for our house in may, they started digging in June we were supposed to be moved in by end of august and still waiting for a closing date and no drywall up yet. Just a bunch of excuses and apologies, no compensation or concern. When you call for answers you get the run around or no answer at all. No heads up what so ever on the delays, My house sat for 8 weeks with not a thing being done. When I first started complaining and beat around the idea of some sort of compensation I was told by the very *** sales manager " you get more bees with honey, not salt" well I was pissed so I wasn't going to sugar coat anything and I have every right to be. I have even spoke with the CEO Carolyn, who just apologized, I'm pretty sure she didn't give a Sh!*. She doesn't respond to emails or make you feel comfortable about your purchase at all, which a house is a pretty big purchase. One of the biggest we've ever made and will make. Everyone is nice and friendly then once they have your money and signature they stop caring, answering, or noticing. We just feel like a number at this point and regret ever purchasing. Hopefully when the house is finished it is good quality work. But I am worried. I also noticed the houses next me just have their lumber thrown in the rain and mud not even covered up. I just honestly feel like they don't care one bit. If I could go back I would deff chose a diff. builder. I wouldn't recommend to friends or family.

Same thing happened to me. Our house was supposed to be completed in July 2017.

We moved into it October 2017. It was an array of excuses, and the superintendent informed us he wasn't really in charge.

Nothing moved forward until we got their VP involved. I would never recommend Potterhill to anyone.

Potterhill Homes Customer Care
Poor customer service

Not good for there word.

Broke ground in may. No where close to being done. All you get is excuses why it is not done. They do not build your home any where near to 120 days. The shell on house has just been sitting there. When we go by to see. Never do we see any one working.

I have been lied to and disregarded for over a year. Construction was set to begin in May 2018, did not break ground until October 2018.

Still waiting on grading, seed, straw and landscape and the culvert, drain pipes, concrete flat work to be done. I felt very entrusting so I hired a inspector and he found that the roof was not properly done, the dry wall in the garage was not up to code with 5/8 dry wall instead used thin dry wall, the ground from the main was not grounded, 2 room have significant amount of installation missing, an electrical outlet does not work, the out side electric outlets are indoors quality, and at least 5 other small issues. Very little to no contact at weeks at a time from anyone at Potterhill.

Still do not know when or if they will finish. Myself, my 2 daughters 6 and 8 and my 68 year old mother with copd and on oxygen are living in a 1 room hotel.

Order processing issue

Hardwood floor + customer service

i paid $8,000 to put a upgraded floor in my brand new house. they used a hardwood floor with a beveled edge that has gaps in the floor were dirt collects and you can not clean. they sent out a inspector to look at he took a towel and said oh you can clean it.(the top of the floor) i can clean the top its all the gaps in the floor you cant clean. 8k wasted. Also there customer service absolute joke, getting ahold of carol combs might as well call a rock. if your looking to buid a house DO NOT build a Potterhill Home.
Florence, Kentucky
Pros
  • Price of the home
Cons
  • Customer service
  • Products used

Cheap *** Homes

These homes are not up to the building codes or standards. Dont believe me? Come on down to Homes Of Carthage. Look at all the deteriorating wood on the outside. Are you serious? How do they get away with this? SERIOUSLY RECONSIDER BUYING A POTTERHILL HOME. I AM TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO SELL MINE IN A *** economy. The homes are made from particle board trim. PROBLEM? When water seaps behind wood the home will need major work. Neighborhood allows owners to rent home to crack dealers and anyone they want to. Carthage, a once okay neighborhood is now heroin, crack, *** zone.
Dayton, Ohio
Damaged or defective

VERY POOR WORKMANSHIP ON HOUSE, MADE OF FIBERBOARD

THIS HOME DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME WOOD OTHER HOMES HAVE. ALSO THERE HAS BEEN WEAR AND ROT ON OUTSIDE OF HOME. I REALLY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN INSPECTION BEFORE BUYING HOME. ALSO SO CALLED WOOD ON EXTERIOR IS PARTICLE BOARD MORE KNOWN AS "MDO!" THE RAILINGS CAME LOSE, ALL OF THE WOOD HAS ROTTED, I WAS TOLD TO CONTACT THE "CONSTRUCTION COMPANY" NOT THEM SINCE THEY DID NOT BUILD HOME. WONDERING IF I WILL LET THIS HOUSE BE FORECLOSED ON SINCE IT WONT SELL IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN NEIGHBORHOOD! RAT TOWN IN THE HOOD!BEEN BROKEN INTO TWICE. this seller should refund my money or i will let go like other neighbors have done, go into foreclosure
Loss

READ THIS before talking to Potterhill Homes in Cincinnati, Ohio!

Long story short, after a horrible experience with Potterhill Homes and specifically Vicki Painter at Mills of Miami, my wife and I were swept off our feet by Fischer Homes and treated to the REAL experience of working with a reputable builder. I encourage anyone who is looking for a builder in the Greater Cincinnati area to look at Fischer Homes before making any builder decision. Do not be intimidated by their starting prices. We were and had it not been for the convincing of our realtor just to give it a chance, we would have been intimidated also. Upgrade prices are HALF what the rest of the builders we looked at charge. As for Potterhill Homes... after showing very strong interest in working with them, they did nothing but disappoint us. It took days to email us simple documentation, phone calls never got returned, and we never felt like they really wanted our business. I do not have enough space to explain it all but to sum it up here is a laundry list of the disappointments. 1. 3 different people told us 3 different things about the same floor plan. 2. After baiting us in to the office the standard porch (which we were told is required for that neighborhood) became a $3700 upgrade. 3. We were told the kitchen island was standard, then at contract signing, told it was an extra $975. 4. Charged us for the most expensive fireplace without asking. 5. Charged $7500 extra for an elevation that was supposed to be included in the initial proposal. 6. Told us master bath came with soaking tub/seperate shower standard, then it was put in the contract at $4200 extra. 7. Sales tactics felt like the used car lot experience. We had to fight to KEEP the options we wanted. 8. Used the words "hardwood on the entire first floor" during negotiations but then left the dining room hardwood out of the contract and wanted to add more to the price when we caught it. 9. Offered roughly $3,000 in design center upgrades, then came back and said they could only accept the contract without the credit, which was Vicki's idea in the first place! 10. We signed the contract on Saturday and Vicki said she would have to wait until Monday to talk to her boss to get approval for less than $10,000 in total discount (including an advertised $5,000 in free options). Fischer Homes worked with us on a Monday night and called her boss at 8pm at home to get approval for a MUCH bigger discount including buying of points. With Fischer Homes we got every option we asked for, a home with almost 400sqft more space in a much nicer neighborhood on a lot 3x the size, and the monthly payment is almost exactly the same. We were willing to pay more for the positive experience and the quality of a truly stick-built home.

Stumbled across this tonight while looking up issues with PotterLiars, but what was shocking to me is how long a history of lies, half truths and broken promises there is. Also I found it interesting how Vickie Painter has been a common thread in peddling the half truths to so many over the years.

You might wonder why a reputable company would allow this to continue with all the unhappy customers and continued bad publicity...

could it be they don’t care or that they aren’t reputable? Who’s to say.

We are getting ready to sign our contract with Fischer! How do you like your home?

Any problems?

Are the willing to fix them? The reviews are scaring me!

Potterhill homes is a scam! Worst experience of our lives.

Carolyn Rolfes is the President of Potterhill Homes and she does not care about the buyers whatsoever, she only cares about money. Buyer Beware!!!! Our basement leaks from the foundation. Our door has water damage.

Poor craftsmanship. This has been a devastating experience for our family.

Had a similar experience! Poor customer service.

Have to fight for everything. Forced to close with a list that needed to be repaired then had to fight to get them repaired. Then they would send random people over to fix things unannounced and when I wouldn't let them into my home bc they didn't have ANY identification on them I'm the bad person.

DO NOT BUILD with them!!!!! I also reported them to the BBB

Such a joke, if you want to spend on fixing all of the mistakes yourself go buy one. There is no communication after you purchase home.

They will tell you to contact const. company even though there name is behind them.

TERRIBLE HOMES BUILT HERE AT BEAUTIFUL *** INFESTED CARTHAGE. IN THE HOOD, ROBBERY ZONE.

FIRST OFF LOOKING BACK WHY DIDN'T I GET A INSPECTION BEFORE PURCHASING HOME. THERE IS A REASON THEIR SOLD SO CHEAP!!!

FIRST THE OUTSIDE PARTICLE BOARD-MDO FAKE WOOD IS COVERED OVER ENTIRE HOME. SECOND THE RAILINGS ON ALL STEPS FELL APART, THIRD THERE IS CONCRETE ALL OVER THE GROUND. THEY DIDN'T EVEN GET RID OF THE CONCRETE.

THIS COMPANY SHOULD FIX ALL OF THE *** THEY SOLD ME. FIRST WEEK OF SIGNING PAPERS THE PLUMBING, NOT REAL PIPES, CAME APART. THE PLUMBER LOOKED LIKE A *** ON THE STREETS WHO CAME TO FIX THERE MISTAKE.IN FACT ALL OF THERE WORKERS ARE UNQUALIFIED. THIS HOUSE IS NOT A REAL HOME.

ROOF DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A CRAWL SPACE TO ACCESS ATTIC. WHAT, "COME ON?" I AM LOOKING INTO LEGAL ACTION EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN OVER 8 YEARS THAT I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE. 6605 FAIRPARK AVE. IS ADDRESS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH THIS "DISASTER ZONE" SO YOU DON'T MAKE SAME MISTAKE I DID!BEEN BROKEN INTO TWICE LOST $12,000

WORTH OF GOODS.

DIDN'T THINK I WOULD NEED BARB WIRE AND MACHINE GUNS HERE!! :( MY REAL ANGER IS THAT THEY SEND YOU ON A RAT RACE TO GET THINGS FIXED. I MAY LET THIS HOME GO INTO FORECLOSURE LIKE THE REST OF THE NEIGHBORHOOD DID.

THEN RENT UNTIL MY CREDIT GETS BACK INTO SHAPE. WELL I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL ABLE TO BUILD HOMES AFTER THIS DISASTER.

Complete Bunk! We bought a Fisher home built in 1990 in Loveland OH and it is the worst home I have ever owned for the price.

All sorts of structural issues, window brick was angled in towards house, so collects water, drain pipes not properly routed, electrical issues - don't know how this ever passed inspection.

Called Fisher to discuss each item and they said "you're not the original owner, so we don't owe you anything" and when I pressed further, they said "you think you have a case, then sue us"! At least 3/4 of our neighbors have had issues like full concrete drive on the edges (where you can see) but then only an inch or two thick in the middle (where you cannot see) which then cracked under normal use, others have had window problems, front door seals leaking, etc.

Hello,

We also have a Potterhill home in the Villages of Daybreak in Cincinnati, OH and had issues with the home within a year of it being built. From water leaks to poor structure build.

Not happy with this expensive house or Potterhill. Buyers Beware!

@PissedConsumer687214

We are considering building with them. Only in initial stages.

Very nervous about the posts I see regarding water leaks! Have you gone to arbitration or anything?

I cannot believe there are not more complaints on here about Potterhill Homes. We are in the process of building with them now, and wish that we had not even started.

We only did because of the sales person that was there at the time.Now that they have left the company we cannot get any service from them or any questions answered. The people they have turned us over to are totally flakes. We were wondering why it is taking so long to see our home completed until we heard from one of the contractors that is working on our home that they are not getting paid for their work. Is there anyone out there that is having the same problems that we are.

We wish that we would not have bought now, but we are trapped because the company makes you do a construction loan. So you own the home now no matter what would go wrong in the process. Never again will we ever build with Potterhill or even suggest them to anyone.

I hope if there is anyone out there that feels the way we do will share their experiences that they are having. Poor builder and very poor customer service.

View more comments (162)
Cincinnati, Ohio

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article