PNY - BAD

I bought a 64 GB PNY zip drive from best buy products. it lasted about a month. now when I plug it in it says defective. I have contacted PNY on several occasions with absolutely no response from them. they could care less they have a terrible support service I would never do business with this company again I bought a 64 GB PNY zip drive from best buy products. it lasted about a month. now when I plug it in it says defective. I have contacted PNY on several occasions with absolutely no response from them. they could care less they have a terrible support service I would never do business with this company again

I bought a 64 GB PNY zip drive from best buy products.it lasted about a month.

now when I plug it in it says defective.

I have contacted PNY on several occasions with absolutely no response from them.they could care less they have a terrible support service I would never do business with this company again

ID
#1019691 Review #1019691 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Parsippany, New Jersey
Product
Pny Flash Drive
Cons
  • Customer service
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

PNY RAM totally unreliable

I bought 8 GB of DDR2-5300 (four 2 GB sticks, product MD4096KD2-667) in May. Each package is supposed to contain a "Matched Pair" per the packaging. I had to buy a total of 16 sticks to find 4 that worked! These were the part number specified by PNY for my Intel DP965LT motherboard, not just some random choice I made. I'm a hardware pro with decades of experience and know how to control static and exercise all other cautions in installation. I also know enough to test RAM (Memtest 86, among others) before relying on it. Most of the sticks I bought failed within minutes of testing. Once I found 4 sticks that worked, I ran memory tests for 48 hours before relying on them. Now, after just 5 months of use, one RAM stick has failed. In dozens of servers, desktops, and laptops, I have NEVER had any other RAM fail on me after it's worked a few days. I called PNY and was disconnected after 15 minutes on hold. On the second call, they disconnected me after just 2 minutes on hold. I'm going through the online RMA process, but don't have a lot of hope that I'll receive a working stick of RAM even if they do send me a replacement. I'd probably be better off just throwing away all the PNY RAM and buying something reliable.

Matt, if you have a better configuration for that MB with Win7, I'd love to hear it.

nikalseyn, I've used Crucial and Kingston for years without problems. I've also used PNY previously without problems, so I've never had to try to deal with their support. I guess the moral of the story is that things change and it's best to check sites like this before making any new purchase.

You claim to be hardware pro yet you willfully bottleneck your system by using four 2gb modules?

I suppose you know of crucial.com. I have used this online company for years now and have had good luck with RAM for many machines.

Sorry to hear PNY has such bad customer service. I always thought they were a major player and would stand behind their product.

They either got a bad batch or have changed supplier(s)----for the worse. Good Luck.

View more comments (2)
ID
#271999 Review #271999 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Atlanta, Georgia
Loss

PNY GeForce graphics card puts computer at risk

I advise users to avoid PNY cards for the safety of their computer. In Dec 2008, I bought a PNY GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI for my Dell Dimension 4700. One day in Nov 2009, I smelled something burning. In the time it took me to determine that it was the PC, the PC automatically shut down and would not restart. I opened the computer box and fanned the chassis to dissipate the smell. Then I discovered that the burning smell was the PNY card. The PNY card came with its own fan mounted to the card by four pathetically cheap plastic clips. Three of the four clips had melted. The fan had fallen off the PNY card onto the motherboard. The computer had overheated and shut itself down. Do you want a card that falls apart in less than a year? How will you feel when you realize that the strong burning smell is your computer? Why take the risk? I implore you to choose somebody else's card, NOT PNY. In my opinion, not only is PNY product inferior to the point of endangering your computer but the customer service is equally poor. I registered the PNY card on the day it was purchased. That is not sufficient for PNY. They must have the original receipt even though the same product, with the identical serial number, is already registered with them. Isn't this is just a flimsy excuse to minimize responsibility and to ***? In my opinion, PNY is a second rate junk shop with customer service to match. I was lucky. When I removed the PNY card and the fan that had fallen directly on the motherboard, then the computer restarted. Will you be so lucky with a PNY card? Multiple components could be affected by the excessive heat caused by the PNY card failure. The motherboard could have been damaged when the PNY fan fell on it.

PNY Technologies graphic cards will damage your computer!!! It damaged mine. Filed complain with BBB but they already know how shady this company is. PNY had score "F" with Better Business Bureau. See below:

BBB Rating

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F.

Reasons for this rating include:

* 125 complaints filed against business

* Failure to respond to 18 complaints filed against business.

* 4 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.

* Length of time business has taken to resolve complaint(s).

* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.

Consider yourself worned!!!

Either the fan somehow failed prematurely or a power surge or rogue power supply killed the card. You should have your PC's "BIOS" set to shut off after reaching such a high temperature. nVidia's "catalyst" software may also have such a setting. PC Power supplies are even more unreliable and dangerous concerning sparking and fires.

A UPS (basically, a large sophisticated battery) will regulate AC power for and surge-protect your system better than a mere surge protector. Usable PCs these days require a great deal of power, with increased inherent risk....

PNY is well respected by system builders and gamers who prefer nVidia-based video cards. (Personally, I'm an ATi guy.)

This sort of failure and lack of service is failure common in this Chinese-dominated industry--unless you can prove that PNY's card was faulty, I'm afraid you'll have to accept the loss and risk as part of the cost of using PCs.

View more comments (1)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

About

PNY Warranty
To read more: http://www.pny.com/mega-consumer/warranty-card
PNY Terms of Service
To read more: http://www.pny.com/legal/terms-of-use
PNY Privacy Policy
At PNY TECHNOLOGIES ("PNY"), The Company believe it is important to protect the privacy of PNY's' customers and guests who visit Company's website ("the Site") or use e-mail to communicate with www.pny.com PNY know that The Client care about how The User's personal information is collected, updated, used and shared; and www.pny.com want The Customer to make knowledgeable choices about the information The Client of PNY provide to The Company This Privacy Statement describes PNY's' policies and practices for the Site and e-mail communications in the areas of: Notice, Consent, Access, Security, and Enforcement. By using PNY's' website ("the site"), The Client of PNY agree to these policies. PNY will ask The User when The Company need information that personally identifies The User of Website or allows www.pny.com to contact The User of company services ("Personal Information"). Generally this information is requested if The Client place an on-line order for Company's products, if The User of company services register for an account on the Site, or if The User of Website contact www.pny.com for information.
To read more: http://www.pny.com/legal/privacy
Top PNY Products

Flash Drive, Mn16384kd3 Laptop Memory

PNY Pros and Cons

Cons: Customer service

Summary

PNY is a global technology leader within the consumer electronics market. The company was established in 1985. Thus PNY has over 25 years of business experience serving consumers, OEMs, and B2B. The products of the company are available in over 50 countries with 13 company locations throughout North America, Europe, Asia, and Latin America. PNY offers a broad assortment of flash memory cards, USB flash drives, solid state drives, High Speed HDMI® cables, computer memory upgrade modules, consumer graphics cards, and professional graphics cards as well as other electronic devices. PNY’s products are sold at major retail, e-tail, and wholesalers worldwide, with products proudly assembled in the USA. The product partners PNY include NVIDIA, HP, Polaroid, RocketFish, as well as many other private label brands.

PNY reviews and complaints

PNY is ranked 357 out of 841 in Gadgets and Accessories category

Edit Description

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article