The vet is abusive toward customers

ABUSE towards the pet owner. Let me start by saying that I think that the clinical competency is good. Now, let me tell you what went wrong. Because of COVID, I have only entered the building 2 times, but my dog has entered 5 times. On those two occasions I got out of the building as quickly as I could as I am high risk. On my second visit meeting with Dr. Koonce, we were in a treatment room, and he had his mask pulled down from his nose, and it only covered his mouth. I asked him to please cover his nose with his mask (I am high risk, AND, all 15 or so of his staff had their faces fully covered, as is protocol). His reply? "Then step back." Seriously???????!!!!!!! He is a health care provider, as am I, and it is known that COVID can aerosolize and move through the air. I did not want anything that might be brewing in his lungs or throat being breathed out into the room through his nose and putting me at risk. The impression I got was that the rules didn't apply to him, as owner of the clinic, even though every single employee was complying. This attitude seriously made me question whether I should continue to be a customer there. About two weeks ago I called in and talked to someone named Jerrica. I haven't met any front desk staff yet because I dash out of there as quickly as possible. She told me that the Dr. said to purchase HEEL diet and to come at two. While we were speaking, I starting looking up HEEL diet online, and came across HILL diet. Being new to Arkansas, I am not used to the accent yet, but I am working on it. So I asked her, are you saying HILL??? H-I-L-L? and she said "yes." I said that I needed to practice my Arkansas accent, (and I did a nice of job of reproducing it for her, actually). My housekeeper is from the countryside so she is the one whose accent I practice. Turns out Jerrica wasn't saying two, she was saying TEN. And pronouncing it TIN. And it sounded like TWO over the phone. I took my dog in again today. I didn't go inside (due to COVID restrictions) and I paid over the phone from my car. About 15 minutes later, Dr. Koonce called me and said (verbatim) "It has come to my attention that you told my employee that she speaks Ebonics." Say What??????!!!!!!! I was absolutely FLOORED! This is coming out of NOWHERE!!!!! He continued, "I absolutely do not tolerate racism in my clinic!" NOW HE IS CALLING ME A RACIST!!!!! I became livid and indignant with this accusation, and told him there was no way that that happened! I flatly denied the accusation, how dare a doctor call me up and accuse me of something that never happened (and never would)! Then I remembered the conversation from two weeks ago. I asked Dr. Koonce if this is about JERRICA and he said yes. He said she went to the office manager and complained that I had said to her that she speaks Ebonics!! Well, there is no superlative to describe the level of insult and indignance I felt at being accused of such a thing, much less by a doctor and business owner. I am so SHOCKED. I explained to Dr. Koonce that I have never met Jerrica. How would I even know that she is black? Not to mention the most important thing: I would NEVER say such a thing to a human being! Unfortunately, this person must have a chip on her shoulder. THIS IS VICTIMIZATION! REVERSE DISCRIMINATION! And then I get accused out of blue. This is totally unprofessional and uncalled for! I told him I was completely insulted and that I expected an apology. So Dr. Koonce goes back to Jerrica and tells her I never said such thing. But she stands by her story. (Of course! In her head, such a thing was said, so how could it be otherwise? She is a victim, so there's no alternative possibility.) Dr. Koonce tells me he has to choose between an employee who has been with him for 3 years, or a customer who has been with him for 6 months. Seriously???? I, as a health professional and business owner would NEVER embarrass myself or my clinic by blaming a customer! It's almost like he thought that one of us wasn't telling the truth! It never occurred to him that Jerrica was MISTAKEN. If it were me, I would tell the employee that he regrets that she understood that to be the case, and I would apologize to the customer for the misunderstanding. But no, he decided to take sides, and sided with his MISTAKEN employee. Falsely accusing a customer, and refusing to raise his mask over his nose. If he treats people this way, does he treat pets better, or the same? Clinical Skills: pretty good. Social skills: This Dr. has a SERIOUS attitude problem. Dr. Koonce may come across as a nice guy, but my final assessment is that HE is never wrong. He doesn't have to pull his mask up. His staff is never mistaken. Professional skills regarding pandemic: COVID illiterate when it comes to HIMSELF, but the staff and the clinic abide by the rules. Take this information and read the other reviews with a critical eye.

User's recommendation: Take your own chances!

ID
Big Rock, Arkansas
Service
Pleasant Valley Veterinary Clinic Veterinarian
Preferred solution
Apology

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article