Breach of Contract

I contacted Brownell January 22 expressing interest in hiring him on as a photographer for my wedding on Thursday, October 3 and the reception on Friday, October 4. I also emailed Brownell that I was interested in DJ services for the reception, and asked what DJ service he uses. He responded with prices and told me "No problem, I have been a DJ for 10 years. When I offer the combo I use one of two DJ's I have trained order the last two years." In February, we met with Brownell to see his portfolio and discuss our needs for a two day photographer and 6 hour DJ. Shortly after, Mr. Brownell emailed both contracts; we signed them, and mailed him $750, which covered half of the $1500 balance. Around September 3, we met with Brownell to talk about last minute details. We were a bit shocked to learn that he had "fired his DJ" and intended on doing both services the night of the reception. Mr. Brownell also revealed our wedding would most likely be his last that he would offer the "combo package" with DJ services, since he really wanted to phase out of it. Angry, but also knowing we had already signed a contract, we reread it. We couldn't find any language specifying who the "DJ" had to be, and nothing that blatantly voided the contract we signed. Receiving this news one month prior to the wedding, we begrudgingly mailed Brownell the remaining balance of $750. One week before the wedding, we were extremely unsure of Mr. Brownell's ability to successfully perform taking pictures and running the DJ equipment simultaneously. We were leery of his claim of working with two DJs, when he said he only fired one. We felt his attitude towards ending his DJ services after our wedding could lead to Brownell not efficiently performing as a DJ. We felt misled, thinking we had agreed on a separate body to be a DJ and another to be a photographer, as previously advertised on the http://www.picsnfliks.com website. This package has now been removed from his website. We hired another DJ; Brownell refused any refund. We desire a partial refund of the $1500 amount. We agree that Brownell rendered the $1000 photography services. The remaining $500 DJ service was not fulfilled. In the contract, we agreed on 6 hours of DJ service. Brownell stayed at the reception for 3 hours. A partial refund is owed to us for Brownell's unprofessional manner and the deceit associated with the services he offered.

Ryan never told my husband and I (by phone or in person) that he had an assistant or had hired his brother. If he had, we wouldn't have hired another DJ.

I also have txt messages that say "Really DJs just set a play list and hit a button. I would have made the announcement with a wireless headset mic and took pics at the same time." and "I would have done 10x the job your dj did and would have been able to take pics at the same time."

Seems it's his word against mine.

On January 22, I was inquired by Alana Magrum for possible photography and disc jockey services for her wedding on October 3rd and 4th of 2013. The wedding was to take place on October 3, 2013 in Port Clinton, Ohio.

The reception was to follow on October 4, 2013 in Sandusky, Ohio. After booking Alana and Todd for their wedding, we had several conversations about the DJ services. Afterwards she had asked me if she could give me mp3. files of songs that she wanted played.

After reviewing her list, I contacted her with concerns stating that I did not feel some choices were wedding appropriate. I let her know that I would not play them for reputation reasons as well. One month prior to their wedding I had notified them that I had recently parted ways with my DJ but that I had hired my 19 year old brother as a replacement. His function was to push play and take requests and that I would be the one making the announcements since I had ten years of experience in doing so.

I informed them both that I had previously purchased a wireless headset microphone and that I would be announcing the wedding party and taking pictures. I had successfully performed both duties in the recent past. I had offered three references of couples that I had performed both duties and was very confident in their review. Days later, I was contacted by Todd notifying me that they had hired a different DJ for their wedding reception.

I had once again explained the process of how I would perform the event and again offered references. I had explained that I had purchased this wireless headset and had already hired and paid my brother for his services to ensure that he had not other obligations and committed solely to this wedding event.

Todd then brought up the possibility of me meeting them 3 hours earlier since they were not going to be using my services to DJ. The meeting was in Lakeside,Marblehead, Ohio, at the lighthouse and I was to take pictures of them before their reception.

I live in Norwalk, Ohio and the drive to Marblehead is around 45 mins. Prior to the wedding I had met again with Todd and Alana in Port Clinton to scout potential areas to take photographs of them and to give them ideas where to set up the altar for lighting reasons. The wedding day I had helped set up all their chairs to give their pictures the best composition possible. The wedding day went as planned, as well as the photography requirements for the reception.

We all got along and seemed to have no problems with how things had turned out. On November 4, 2013 I had mailed out her copyright CD of her released images. She had requested that I send out a second CD, which I did at no additional cost. She had notified me on November 7, 2013 that she had received the CD in the mail and had thanked me.

She also had one last request, if I could remove her "double chin" in the photographs via photoshop. I had told her I would see what I could do. I later realized that it was a lot of extra work and that in my professional opinion, it was also going to make the pictures look bad. Therefore, I refused her request.

Later I received a letter from the Better Business Bureau that Alana had written a complaint about the services that she had received from me on her wedding day. I had contacted the BBB and had explained my side of the story. After reading over the contract that Alana, Todd and I had agreed upon, the BBB had sided with me and denied her review to be posted on my listing with the BBB.

Recently, Alana has been writing bad reviews on several different directories, listing false accusations of how our agreement had been breached by me. Alana and Todd had never requested any refund for the DJ services not provided (as other functions were given in lieu of) Given her recent libel accusations on the various business listings in conjunction with the BBB's opinion siding with me, I am considering seeking legal council for such actions against me.

View more comments (1)
ID
Loss

BUYER BEWARE: WEDDING WRECKER

I contacted Brownell January 22 expressing interest in hiring him on as a photographer for my wedding on Thursday, October 3 and the reception on Friday, October 4. I also emailed Brownell that I was interested in DJ services for the reception, and asked what DJ service he uses. He responded with prices and told me "No problem, I have been a DJ for 10 years. When I offer the combo I use one of two DJ's I have trained order the last two years." In February, we met with Brownell to see his portfolio and discuss our needs for a two day photographer and 6 hour DJ. Shortly after, Mr. Brownell emailed both contracts, we signed them, and mailed him $750, which covered half of the $1500 balance. ONE MONTH before our wedding, around September 3, we met with Brownell to talk about last minute details. We were a bit shocked to learn that he had "fired his DJ" and intended on doing BOTH services the night of the reception. Mr. Brownell also revealed our wedding would most likely be his last that he would offer the "combo package" with DJ services, since he really wanted to phase out of it. Angry, but also knowing we had already signed a contract, we reread it. We couldn't find any language specifying who the "DJ" had to be, and nothing that blatantly voided the contract we signed. Receiving this news one month prior to the wedding, we begrudgingly mailed Brownell the remaining balance of $750. One week before the wedding, we were extremely unsure of Mr. Brownell's ability to successfully perform taking pictures and running the DJ equipment simultaneously. We were leery of his claim of working with two DJs, when he said he only fired one. We felt his attitude towards ending his DJ services after our wedding could lead to Brownell not efficiently performing as a DJ. We felt misled, thinking we agreed on a separate body to be a DJ and another to be a photographer, as previously advertised on the http://www.picsnfliks.com website. This package has now been removed from his website. We hired another DJ; Brownell refused us any refund. The worst part: the photos Brownell did take were minimal since he left the reception early, after the wedding dances. When I received the pictures, I was disappointed since they were not all that great. Do your research before hiring for such an important day.
ID
Bowling Green, Ohio
Loss

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content

For more information read Blog article