map-marker San Diego, California

Car wouldn't start

It all started on 6/8/13, I went to the dealership and wpoke with Luis Perez at about 9:30 or so, told him what was wrong, he did say his technician was pretty busy but he would try to get to it, he said I'll call you and let you know if we're keeping the car. I got the car towed to your facility. The car got there about 10:30. At around 5pm I called Luis because I hadn't heard from him, he tells me "sorry I forgot to call you" he told me the tech didn't have a chance to look at it, okay fine I already knew that. On 6/10/13 Luis called me and informed me that the computer module was the problem, so I said okay, how much is that going to set me back, he states $587.70, I'm like well it has to be done, okay. I picked up the car that Monday at about 5:50pm. The gentleman that brought me the car stated, here you go it's like new, (I smiled) got in the car to turn it on and it didn't until the second try, I figured maybe I didn't put the key all the way in or something, so off I went. I go to the gas station to gas it up, and when I'm ready to leave it took 3 tries before the started, after that I went to Target, it took 4 tries to turn on. On 6/11/13 around 7:30am I called Luis and told him what happened the night before, he stated to bring the car back on Wednesday because he was leaving early that Tuesday and wouldn't be able to help me, I said okay. That Tuesday night after work at 5:30pm the car wouldn't start at all, I had to call my son to pick me up, the whole time I was sitting there waiting for my son I trying to turn on the car and nothing by this time was it 6:20pm. I called the dealer at 5:37pm to let somebody know about the car, I think the guys name was Phil, all he would was I'm sorry. The next day 6/12/13 at 8:15am I called Luis told him what happened, upset as I was and still am I called my insurance to once again provide me with a tow truck, the tow truck came around 9:30am and I once again called Luis to inform him that the tow truck was there, I stressed to Luis to please let me know when the car got, just for peace of mind, he said okay I'll call you. I called Luis around 12:59pm to ask him what happened with the car, he said it got there okay, he states that he didn't have my cell #, if he didn't have it how did he get a hold of me the day before, anyway he proceeds to tell me that the part that was damaged is the ignition housing, I asked and how much is that going to set me back? $255.19, when he told me that I nearly passed out. I stated to him how can this possible you changed a part that wasn't even defective and now you're telling it was something else! He stated that the started right up, and I said really, that's why I had to get it towed again because the car started right up. I went to pick up the car again around 5:50pm, and before I left the parking I sat in the car turning it on like 10-15 times. So far I haven't had a problem but I don't I should of paid for the second part (ignition housing) and not to mention the second towing, it was your fault the car wasn't fixed right the first time! Am I going to take the car back for future services, NO! am I going to recommend friends and family to your dealership, NO! am I going to buy a car from you in the future, NO! you guys didn't even wash my car. I know dealerships do that so that the car looks nice and pretty, but you couldn't even do that!
View full review

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

  • Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article