South Ridge Town Homes - Horrible Customer Service

We signed a 7-month lease and thought we understood what the $150 and $450 pet fee was used for. After 6 months we found our forever home and moved out and paid the last month of our lease. We were great renters, quick to pay rent, notify of any potential costly issues (roof was leaking), and always picked up after our dogs. When we left the house, it was cleaner than we started. We got our final bill which included 2 months of utilities, carpet patch fee, painting touch up fee, lightbulbs, unit cleaning fee, and a pet carpet cleaning fee. I immediately picked up the phone and questioned about all of it. Why do we have to pay 7 months of utilities? Response: it is in the agreement and you agreed to pay for the whole term even if you don’t use the utilities. What carpet patch are you charging for? Response: The one next to the front door! I argued it was in the report and had to send a copy of my inspection report before she believed me. I am not certain she even looked at the report. Finally, it was removed. Light bulb charge: these units have CFL’s in 99% of the house. When we moved out we knew that one light went out in the kitchen, the only non-CFL’s. The one month we were out 5 more bulbs went out. I brought up the unit’s condition moving in vs out (inspection report) but was still charged for a cleaning fee, “The cleaning is ultimately our cleaners responsibility. They will do a very thorough inspection of the unit and will clean in any and all areas needed such as baseboards, light fixtures, blinds, appliances, toilets, floors, windows, etc. So typically it is charged upon every move-out.” (mgmt email) Last, the large $207 carpet cleaning fee we were charged for pet “damage.” My dogs were with me when I worked from home every day and when we left for dinner or events they were in their kennels. When we signed the agreement we were told (verbally) that the $450 pet fee was used for the normal pet cleaning. This was the response I got, “All of the pet fees and money paid is explained in the lease agreement. It also states that the minimum carpet clean starts at $65. We are required by law in the state of Utah to complete a carpet clean in each unit upon move out. We also complete pet treatments in units, for the next resident in case of allergies and such. I’ve attached the carpet clean invoice for your unit, which shows the breakdown of the carpet clean, pet treatment, etc.” In case you are curious here is the pet agreement “Animal Fees: Resident shall pay to Owner an additional Deposit as stated above. Such additional deposit amount to be treated as any other deposit of Resident according to the terms of the Residential Rental Agreement. Resident shall pay a one-time non-refundable animal fee as stated above. Such fee shall not be applied to any damages done by the Animal. Resident shall pay additional monthly rent as stated herein so long as this agreement/addendum shall remain in effect...” I am happy to take responsibility for my family and fix it however necessary. However, it never happened and I am not sure what stains were brought up. Not visible to us. These charges are actually normal wear and tear of having an animal on the premises. Again this is why I pay $450 to bring my pets with me. None of that was stated up front in the agreement. If we have to pay it why don’t they tell you at the beginning? Cleaning addendum did state, “Upon move-out if damages above normal wear and tear or cleaning charges are incurred, the following fees will apply” I know we did not exceed above normal wear and tear. Seems like I am not the only one just check AMC LLC property management here https://goo.gl/maps/cH7vCXbhC9E2 If you still decide to live here take pictures and walk through with them before and after. If any fee is disclosed to you make sure it is in writing as there is a huge turnover rate in the management office at this property. We went through a few different rental managers in the 6 months there.
ID
South Jordan, Utah
Pros
  • Garage
  • Style of home
  • Location
Cons
  • Change in management
  • Unclear costs
  • Hidden fees
Reason of review