Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles - Racial profiling at the Colorado DMV

Last Friday, I went to the Colorado Dep't of Motor Vehicle location on Mississippi and Santa Fe to get a Colorado driver's license. When you first come in, you have to stand in line to take a number. I was behind a young man who was turning in his Washington license for a Colorado one. I was turning in my New Mexico license for a Colorado one. He had blonde hair and blue eyes. I have dark hair and dark eyes with olive skin. When he explained why he was there, the man gave him a number and told him to have a seat. When I told him why I was there, he asked me if I had a social security card. The man was not nice to me, either. The young man was able to get his license. I was not. The first thing I was asked by the clerk was where I was born. I told her New Jersey. She asked if I had a birth certificate to prove that. I told her I did not have it with me. She was very rude to me. She told me I could not get a license without a birth certificate. Why was I asked if I had a social security card and the obviously caucasion person in front of me wasn't? Why was I asked where I was born? Why did they treat me with such disdain and disrespect? The more I think about it, the more I believe they suspected I as an illegal immigrant from Mexico--I have dark hair, dark eyes and olive complexion. I moved here from a state that borders Mexico. From the moment I walked in there, they acted like I shouldn't be there and I saw a blonde haired, blue eyed person from a state far away from Mexico get a Colorado license with no problem whatsoever.

The Hispanic / Latino population for Denver is roughly 35 percent... having a hard time believing you were treated as you said when clearly a Hispanic looking person would be a common occurrence at the DMV.

Colorado is a prejudice state. The law is unjustified from the top down.

that sucks.

WV DMV is the same. My best friend is foreign and had a state ID and learners permit.

we went in today and he needs to bring in all the paperwork he previously needed to be able to take the road test. he had shown all of this info previously, so apparently this state cannot trust its own forms of identification. when asked they responded that they only hold foreign born peoples data in the system for 14 days.

After providing them with the required documents they informed us that it would take 3-5 business days for the office to verify his information and they would let us know when he can take the test again. I know we had better get it done within 14 days of getting approved because they will throw out his authorization after that.

I went to school there for 9 years. Denver is very much a hick white trash town.

What they did to you was very illegal.

Sue the *** out of them. OR simply wear an Elway jersey.

I do lol cause im a New York Giant fan and was there going to college at DU when LT was tossin Elway around like a *** ragdoll in the superbowl lol.

I had one of my worst experiences at this DMV. I will admit that I came in right as they were closing, but that still does not excuse the treatment I received.

I came in as another person was exiting and immediately the employees began to yell, "WE'RE CLOSED." I glanced at their clock on the wall and it was not even 5:00 yet. I asked if they could quickly help me with something. They told me rudely that I needed to come back another day. When I stated that I had a question, one woman hostilely declared that she "only answered questions between the hours of 8:00-5:00." Even though I told them I was a teacher and that it was hard to make it over, they said that I would need to *** work to come in.

Never during this encounter was I rude or yelling. As I was asking another employee for a list of their other locations, another employee approached and demanded that I leave the premises. Unfortunately, some people should not work with the public. Not only were they extremely rude, but they were unsympathetic to my situation.

I wasn't asking for a royal treatment; however, common courtesy is not much to ask.

If I could give this place 0 stars, I would gladly do so. They're honestly not deserving of 1 single star and it's unfortunate that the public has to deal with these bitter individuals.

This happens all the time in Arizona too. All "foreign-looking" applicants are asked for immigration information and sent to a specific employee who is probably trained to authenticate immigration papers.

#199315

Dye your hair and get some contact lenses. :grin

View more comments (7)
ID
#200105 Review #200105 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Denver, Colorado