Resolved: Nutrisystem - Third time on NS in 10 years

Update by user Apr 27, 2019

Not that I am totally happy with NS but I think things are running as smooth as possible at the moment.

Update by user Apr 27, 2019

Here it is, 4 weeks, 28 plan days, after my start. Total loss 5.2 pounds.

I am happy with that, had some bumps in the road here and there, but I am in the groove now. I got below my short term target of 200#, not in many years, still shooting for 175#. I refined what I needed to shop for in terms of the non-NS items, and after talking /chatting with NS a few times, I think I have a path forward after my second month. I can manage the flex meals style of eating, my insulin requirements have been reduced to very small amounts.

NS still needs to improve their customer service for phone and chat line long hold times. Some of the food items could be better, but whatever they are, and whatever I did on the plan, I still lost weight.

I am going to say this is "resolved" at this time. I may issue another update later.

Update by user Apr 21, 2019

Update after 3 weeks (21 days) of my plan: I have been going back and forth with the NS food and the Flex meals, consisting of carbs and proteins with quantities from their lists. So after 3 weeks, average loss (yes, there is a weight loss) is about 1 lb/wk.

Of course that is not going to sound like the commercials, but even NS will tell you that average loss is 1 to 2 lbs per week. So total loss so far is -3.2 lbs on digital scale. That is better than the 1 lb per month I was doing on my own before NS. I ran into a problem with having too much food around, namely they send you a box that has over 40 snacks (bars, bags of chips, cookies, etc.).

That is a fatal flaw for me, I never used to keep much food in the house, preferring to go out almost every day to get my daily meals and veggies and fruits. So guess what, I pigged out and ate all the snacks! over 2 days! I just substitute the flex items, it is easier that way.

Even then I lost some weight, so is my case so different from other folks?

I am about to get my second box of food, maybe I should get a safety deposit box, lol for the snacks. Seriously though, I need to ask NS if they have some method to keep all that stuff in my house without me raiding it.

Update by user Apr 07, 2019

So i see from reading a lot of NS consumer reviews that many are experiencing problems with canceling their plan. Several categories are: 1) canceling after one month and getting charged auto-delivery fee, 2) canceling after 2 months worth of shipments and still getting their CC charged, maybe having more food sent to them, 3) long wait times to get through on cancellation phone line, 4) nasty treatment by the "save at all costs" reps who try to talk you out of canceling. Best to be forewarned, so some of the solutions are: 1) canceling or freezing your CC before it can be charged, 2) calling early in the 2nd month to prevent 3rd month from being charged/shipped, 3) be ready to complain to BBB and/or PA Attorney General consumer complaint line.

Update by user Apr 07, 2019

After 7 full plan days, which includes NS meals plus what they call Flex Meals, my digital scale captured a weight loss of 0.8 lbs. Now that may not match with NS massive numbers on their commercials, but for a diabetic, any weight loss is better than none.

Diabetic plan has more calories than the standard plan, and does not include the Freshstart week. Actually during the week it was looking like I would lose more than that but on that particular day I had some bounceback for some reason. But, I tell myself, I am not here to prove NS program "works", and it is not my job to meet or exceed what others may experience. My body is still adjusting to what the plan entails, I am mainly dissatisfied with what I consider to be an obscene amount of sodium in their foods.

Federal guidelines are not what I am used to, so maybe for me it is water retention, who knows. I also have seen where some of the NS food ideas simply do not exist, like low salt or 1% fat cottage cheese-no such thing.

Many of the food quantities are nigh impossible to live with, in terms of food purchases and storage, like one slice of bread or 2 oz of chicken breast. Also, to supplement NS plan with extras one has to buy is very expensive, even though I try to save where I can, staying away from expensive proteins and veggies.

Update by user Apr 01, 2019

adding a comment after a few days with my plan: the first box arrived in good shape, I checked the contents with the packing list, and all was fine. I found my first dinner, selected at random,to be already leaking from its package, contacted the counseling line, and a replacement is coming in the mail.

That had to be from the shipping point, not sure how long it was like that. The box had a bunch of bubble pods to take up space in the box, partially due to the decrease in number of meals being shipped, since the last time I was on NS. Most of the food was decent, I am used to the portion sizes and the water (64 oz). Also, no problem with exercise, I usually ride a bicycle 15-20 hrs per week.

One has to augment NS food with other items to buy. I will track the cost of that during April, trying to keep with the lower cost veggies and proteins. The Leaf recipe book, although attractive looking, is near impossible to adhere to. Many of the items would be impossible to find and pay for, so that whole book is a non-factor for me.

No way should one senior guy be paying $1000/month for food and spending all his time shopping and preparing. Maybe it is meant for those that already have fully stocked pantries and freezers with all sorts of stuff from their pre-NS days. The damage control NS monitors may jump on me about that. Other than that, I experienced very long wait times on the phone and chat line on Saturday evening, but Sunday was much smoother.

I find the chat line better to use, the phone system will drive you dizzy with all the menus and sub-menus, and repetitious messages and ads. NS has really evolved into a marketing company rather than a diet and nutrition company, IMO. From a diabetic point of view, my total insulin required/day is reasonable, allowing me to stretch my supply longer. Only drawback to the diet concept is the amount of sodium ingested, unfortunately sodium is usually added to foods when taste is otherwise lacking.

Having high BP, I normally restrict sodium to way less than the federal guideline which NS follows.

NS would offer me some low sodium items but really I am reluctant to take on extra costs for that. NS will charge you for for every option and change you want to make.

Update by user Mar 28, 2019

as of the end of 2018, they had $691M in revenue, and spent $203M in marketing to get that, so that is why you see all the commercials and all their product offerings

Original review posted by user Mar 28, 2019
This is my third time in ten years to use NS products. Even with all the drawbacks I think it is the best plan out there. My first box is due to arrive tomorrow. With my experience with NS, I am aware of many of the pitfalls that many folks face, lots of surprises and disappointments. But it can work, just have to tough it through the junk parts. I am on the diabetic plan, which means you do not get the first week of Fresh Start. NS says the Fresh Start week has too few calories for diabetics. Plan is expensive (many extras to buy), too salty, bad tasting, tiny portions, etc. But you can learn to adopt new habits and food tastes. You have to think and act like thin person. The surprise for me was how they have changed from providing 28 days of "food" to 28 days of "plan", which includes some flex days of just guidance, for the same price. This is not a plan to be on if you do not like to read, there is tons of info but you have to be retired or unemployed to take the time lol. I am optimistic the flex days can get me back to eating more healthy things and get a break from NS stuff. I have lost 25 lbs in 25 months on my own, but am at plateau of 200 lbs which I hope NS can get me through. Right now I just intend to try first 2 months, but I appreciate all the feedback here about cancellation troubles. I intend to post updates from time to time.

Hello! Welcome back to the plan, we are happy to have you with us again!

We do appreciate you sharing your experience with us and your positivity in getting restarted. We are happy to pass along this feedback.

Best of luck on the plan and let us know if you need anything else! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you enjoy our program.

We do, however, sincerely apologize for any confusion about the addition of Flex Meals. Our four week plans are configured to include Flex meals, meals you make on your own each week. These Flex Meals were incorporated as we found that our members wanted more flexibility throughout the week due to busy schedules and commitments. One of Nutrisystem’s main goals is to educate our members on how to make good choices when eating their own food.

The addition of these Flex Meals provides a great learning experience that we feel is necessary for maintenance. We are very sorry again for any confusion or inconvenience caused. If you need any help with your meal plan or planning these Flex Meals, please feel free to reach out to our Weight Loss Counseling Team at 1-800-585-5483, option #2 or via LIVE CHAT on our website. They are here for your support!

If you are looking for any Flex Meal recipes visit The Leaf at https://leaf.nutrisystem.com/! This is our blog where we post articles that offer tips and tricks for winning weight loss and recipes that fit easily into your program. We wish you the best of luck with your program and hope you have a wonderful day! -The Nutrisystem Consumer Experience Team Hello, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

We are so happy to hear that you enjoy our program. We do, however, sincerely apologize for any confusion about the addition of Flex Meals. Our four week plans are configured to include Flex meals, meals you make on your own each week. These Flex Meals were incorporated as we found that our members wanted more flexibility throughout the week due to busy schedules and commitments.

One of Nutrisystem’s main goals is to educate our members on how to make good choices when eating their own food. The addition of these Flex Meals provides a great learning experience that we feel is necessary for maintenance. We are very sorry again for any confusion or inconvenience caused. If you need any help with your meal plan or planning these Flex Meals, please feel free to reach out to our Weight Loss Counseling Team at 1-800-585-5483, option #2 or via LIVE CHAT on our website.

They are here for your support! If you are looking for any Flex Meal recipes visit The Leaf at https://leaf.nutrisystem.com/! This is our blog where we post articles that offer tips and tricks for winning weight loss and recipes that fit easily into your program.

View more comments (1)
Resolved
ID
Product
Nutrisystem Diabetes Basic Diet Plan

Resolved: Aspen Dental - Improper charges for treatment kept in computer system

Update by user Sep 18, 2018

After my insurance company talked to Aspen, telling them to stop sending me bills, I waited about 6 more weeks and have not received any more bills, so I declare this matter RESOLVED. There are some who prowl this site looking for more ways to bash Aspen, and appear to be dentists themselves, trying to sell their own services, who will be VERY UPSET that anything with Aspen got resolved. Actually nothing from this website helped me to get it resolved, but it was informative to read other complaints.

Update by user Aug 13, 2018

POSITIVE UPDATE: I complained about my Aspen billing issue to my insurance company, that Aspen was not living by their contract with Delta. I did learn that the company does not see the additional bills that Aspen was sending me, so I had to tell them what Aspen was doing.

They only get the initial claim, which Delta told me they paid, and Aspen had cashed their check, so any additional billings were above and beyond what was covered under the plan. Anyway, Delta called Aspen while I was on hold, and informed them that Aspen had received all they were going to get.

Aspen in turn told Delta that the bills to me would stop. So before I declare "RESOLVED" I have to wait another month to see if further bills come.

Update by user Aug 12, 2018

my office location is Vero Beach, FL. the account number on my bill is 845****

Original review posted by user Aug 12, 2018
D4910 is the code for periodontal maintenance. My Insurance Company, Delta USA, has two prices for that code. One is $45 if you go 6+ months between visits, or $55 if it is less than 6 months. I went for a cleaning in March and June. In June they wanted to bill me what they had in the computer which was $144, but when we looked at my plan documents we were able to agree in the office what I should pay, $55. However, the computer was never updated to show the correct amount and for past two months they have been trying to collect another $89 from me. I have talked to my local office a few times, I wrote a letter to the corporate office, still no correction has been made.

Go to dentist every 6 mos. 1st visit was for my 6 mo.

cleaning. No cleaning, xrays and all they wanted to do. Asked what I owed, no charge, got a bill. Went back for cleaning, they said I had a cavity and peridontal disease.

Had to pay in advance and then received a bill. Filling so badly done, over filled and gouged out the next tooth. Had to wait an hour for hygienist. Went to a different office to grind down that filling and fix the gouged out tooth.

NO peridontal disease! Aspen Dental was setting me up for unnecessary dental care!

@Anonymous

I have since moved on from Aspen. They still kept contacting me to set up appts but eventually they got the message and stopped.

In my last message I indicated that I would give it a little more time to see if they (Aspen) keep sending erroneous bills. It has been a month but I will give it a little bit more time cuz of all this hurricane stuff.

*** is our code for we got your money now. We ripoff people and are proud of it!

@AspenDental1

I have no doubt that happens to some. Right now my Insurance Company told them to pound sand but I have to see if I get a bill with zero balance or no bill at all next month, so I give it a few weeks.

What I see on this site is extreme disappointment if I declare this complaint resolved. They seem to hate Aspen as much as Trump.

THEY ARE MY FIRST Baaaaaaad DENTAL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know a company is dishonest and you want to continue to use them just because they are on some insurance list? Look at other complaints about Aspen billing on this website.

Did the billing errors for other patients stop when they called corporate headquarters? You seem like a glutton for punishment to want to continue there.

@Anapraxia

I was not aware about the problems with Aspen until I started going there and I experienced a problem. I did not say I was going to continue with them.

I just want to get this behind me first. Shopping for a dentist and an insurance company is no quick and easy task. You can read reviews until you are blue in the face yet can still run into trouble, like buying a car or a washing machine. Anything medical is potentially corrupt; the care, the medicines, the administration.

I was never able to reach any corporate type numbers, every number just tells you to call the local office. So I feel on this issue I have my insurance co acting on my behalf, many others do not. What I am happy about after reading about other people's problems is that mine was relatively minor and short term...it was not for thousands of dollars, it did not take years, and I was in no physical distress/pain or having cosmetic problems. I had a similar type corporate dentist Great Expressions for 8 years, it had its moments but overall I received decent care and the billings were not perfect but quickly resolved.

But I moved away and had to start over, and found my choices more limited within driving distance. Insurances, of whatever type PPO, HMO, Medicare, etc are all a can of worms....is anything medical always perfect in YOUR life?? You can also pay lots of money for what you think is better insurance but dentists always look for ways around what the insurance covers, like hidden "lab fees" and more "x-rays".

But as for you, I do not wish them on anyone else, but take your uncomplimentary remarks elsewhere. Is it your business to come on this website to solely beat up on people having complaints?

@Kent A Fka

Nowhere do I read in the above that you ever talked to a real person in your area about which dentist to go to. You look at insurance lists- which read like a rogue's gallery of dentists not to go to.

You go to online reviews- which can be doctored, and frequently are. You never thought to ask someone in your church, your subdivision, or your civic club which dentist to go to?

I am not "beating up on you," but it just strikes me as really sad that people are so socially isolated that they rely on their computer to make decisions. It also strikes me that much of this whole problem was caused buying an insurance plan that hardly anyone wants to mess with except dishonest dentists.

Hate to tell you, but your insurance plan is a joke. $45 or $55 is a laughable amount for periodontal maintenance.

At best, an honest dentist could barely break even. You won't find any dentists except crooks on your in-network list. Which is why A$pen Dental was on your list. Chances are they over-coded you and you could be a normal cleaning.

Billing at A$pen is barely controlled chaos and the mistake is likely never to be corrected. They will probably eventually turn you over to a collection agency.

You can either put up with these hassles, or pay extra and go to a competent and honest independent dentist. It is your choice.

View more comments (12)
Resolved
ID
Service
Aspen Dental Dental Cleaning
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
fix the billing in the computer to agree with the terms of my Insurance Plan