Best Buy - A company worth nothing

I spent over an hour in this store trying to decide on a printer. Not one person came up to me to ask if I needed help. I finally got help from a manager and bought the printer. On our way out we got stopped at the door. As it turned out without my knowledge, my daughter had shoplifted a toy. So i was told I needed to pay for what she took whether she had it or not. I explained to them that I would not be paying for something if she didn't have it. She finally produced the toy and reluctantly I paid for it. While I am at a loss about my daughter stealing, I am beside myself about two things: 1) I couldn't get anyone to help me try to buy something yet they were very attentive to her shoplifting, and 2) that they seemed to believe that they could detain us inside the store. She gave the toy back to them. At that point I could have left the store knowing that she never left the store with it, but I paid for it and made them give it to me. Their employees should be taught about laws before trying to detain someone. Despite the fact me daughter was dishonest, that is false imprisonment and I could sue them. Not to mention the fact that they thought I should/would pay for something either way. No thanks. Won't be shopping at best buy ever again.

Your daughter is a dishonest person. You should be embarrassed for posting this. The only wrong here is they didn't ban you from the store

From the Ohio statute on shoplifting: "§ 2935.041 Detention, arrest of shoplifters; protection of library, museum and archival institution property. (A) A merchant, or an employee or agent of a merchant, who has probable cause to believe that items offered for sale by a mercantile establishment have been unlawfully taken by a person, may, for the purposes set forth in division (C) of this section, detain the person in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time within the mercantile establishment or its immediate vicinity." So yes, merchants such as Best Buy are completely within their legal right to detain the person in a reasonable manner.

@MattD78

The point was completely missed in your reply but thank you for your interest. First off...they were not professional about it.

Second...I find it to be an absolute travesty that the employees don't give a damn in that place until a situation like that arises.

And last...the shmuk that was sitting at the door was extremely unprofessional by staring out the window at me long after I had left and was at my car. It will not be a friendly reunion if I ever see that guy again

@Patrick A Ggn

"Despite the fact me daughter was dishonest, that is false imprisonment and I could sue them." Those were your exact words. I simply pointed out that it is not false imprisonment under Ohio law, and you would have no grounds to sue.

View more comments (3)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Best Buy Customer Care
Poor customer service
It sounds like a good deal up front, but you end up paying more for every reservation you'll ever make. I renewed my membership with them multiple times. Every year they would change policies. For instance...they now charge a $20 fee to book a reservation with an...
Government Vacation Rewards Membership
Pricing issue
Choice Home Warranty's reply to:

Choice Home Warranty - Scam artists

We appreciate your feedback, please contact us at 1-888-531-5403 if you would like to discuss your claim.

CHW
Choice Home Warranty Claim
Reason of review
People need to know not to do business CHW
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund
Update by user Jul 22, 2018

I would like to add that my AC unit is 23 years old. They claim that they cover your products regardless of age.

This is a false statement.

Normal wear and tear coverage is a false statement. They will weasel out of any claim that is more than a couple hundred.

Original review posted by user Jul 22, 2018

My AC went out right before I went on vacation so I waited to call them right before I was due to return. They set up an appointment for the day after I got back but did not phone my cell phone like I asked them.

The repair guy came. Did his report. A week went by and I called to check the status. They said he did not take pics so they were sending someone else out to do this.

The person they sent this time demanded the deductable again and did no work, no pics, and then submitted a false report. Choice then denied my claim. They said the report claimed a leak and that leaks were caused by rust and they did not cover rust. When I explained to them that copper does not rust they demanded I get a leak test before proceeding.

A leak test costs almost a thousand dollars. It was now father's day weekend and my home was over 80 inside at night. I boarded my dog and got a hotel room for my daughter and I. I had a repair guy come out for an estimate/leak test who charged me over $700 and then told me a leak test would cost another $800.

II had Lowes come out and give me a replacement estimate. I went with them but I am now out over 6k and Choice has yet to honor anything on their policy

I recently refinanced my home in May. I was due an escrow refund check from Cenlar which I received early July. I just went to deposit it in to my bank and the ATM said the check had already been cashed. Conveniently Cenlar doesn't have phone support on the weekend to...

We have been trying to get our escrow refund returned to us since we sold our property on 11/22/2017. We have called/emailed Cenlar numerous times since then asking for our refund to no avail.

We are going to give Cenlar FSB one more shot to send us the money we are due before reporting them to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), which is the reporting agency over FSB banks.

I hope others will report them, as well. https://appsec.helpwithmybank.gov/olcc_form/

View more comments
Ewing, New Jersey
Cenlar Mortgage Refinance
Cons
  • Customer service was horrible
  • Customer service never available
Problems with payment