Privacy Electronics (piracy electronics)

On Sept. 26, 2007, Privacy Electronics sold me a video recording and storage system that they would design and assemble. Some of the components were in stock and I was told that the items that were not would be ordered and available within a week. I was convinced by the proprietor, Michael, that the system would work in the application which I described and would be composed of quality components. IT DIDN'T AND IT WASN'T. In addition to selling me defective product, the items which had to be ordered did not arrive until Oct. 16th. 20 days later. By that time, the main component, a mini DVR had already malfunctioned and they agreed to replace it. A new one arrived with the External storage device on Tuesday Oct. 16th and I again drove to the store to pick up these items. Before leaving the store, in the presence of Larry, an employee, I assembled the items in order to test them. The unit again malfunctioned at that time and a different employee named Steve was called to assist me. After some time Steve was able to make the unit operate by resetting it with a straightened paperclip. I again attempted to test the unit. At this point the unit did not recognize the external hard drive/storage and Steve took the unit into the back room to work on it. After some time the proprietor, Mike, emerged with the unit claiming that they had discovered a dust particle which was the reason for the malfunction. On this same date, Tuesday, October 16, the promised 12 volt power supply cable had not been procured yet. During a conversation with Mike, the proprietor, he agreed to have the electrical cable ready for pickup on Wednesday, October 17, and at that time he would go over the entire system with me to assure that it was operating correctly. At this point I left with the new DVR and the external hard drive/storage. On Wednesday, October 17, at 5:45 p.m., I arrived at Privacy Electronics to pick up the electrical cable and have the system demonstrated for me. Upon arrival, Mike nor any of the employees that I had previously dealt with were present. There was a female employee named Frankie who had no idea why I was there and had no knowledge of, nor experience with the equipment. She called the proprietor Mike on the phone and located the electrical cable. I assembled all the components and hooked them to a battery via the electrical cable and discovered that the cable was not functioning. Frankie again called Mike and put me on the phone with him. I explained to Mike that when we hooked the components up as we were instructed the indicator light on the unit was not illuminated. Mike explained to me that the light would not be illuminated until the battery in the unit was discharged to a sufficient level. I was forced to take Mike's word for this and left with the equipment. On the evening of Wednesday, October 17, I assembled all the components to perform an overnight test. On Thursday, October 18, I inspected the unit to ascertain the results of the test and discovered that the unit operated only until its internal battery was depleted and then shut itself off. Confirming that the electrical cable was indeed not functioning. In addition to the malfunctioning cable the unit no longer was recognizing the external hard drive/storage device. I again drove to Privacy Electronics with the entire system, including a 12 volt automotive battery, with the exception of the 65 foot cable. I was assisted by Steve who was unable in my presence to get the unit operating. Again the unit was removed to a back room where the DVR was made to operate. I was informed that the external hard drive was defective and that they would have to order another. At this point I expressed my extreme displeasure and lack of confidence in this equipment and requested a refund. That request was summarily dismissed. I left the establishment without any of the aforementioned equipment except the 65 foot cable which was at my residence and which I returned later. Upon returning to my residence I contacted MasterCard customer service and requested consumer assistance regarding the $1,686.32 charged to my credit card. On Monday, Nov. 19, I was informed by MasterCard customer service that they could not help me as the sales receipt states "All Sales Final" The following day, Tuesday, after calling and speaking to the VP of inside sales, Carissa, to confirm that the equipment was ready and operating, I drove to Privacy Electronics to pick up the products. Upon arrival, I requested that the system be tested. The system again malfunctioned and I was informed that the External Drive would have to be replaced again. And, that because it's a "special order", they didn't have one in stock. It would have to be ordered again. I requested that they issue me a store credit as I had lost all confidence in the claims made by them regarding the quality and reliability of the equipment. This request was dismissed out of hand. It's now four days short of two months since my credit card was charged 1,686.32 for a system that to date has not operated even once correctly, and that, in fact, I do not even have possession of. It is my belief that Privacy Electronics is trying to unload equipment that they know to be defective and unreliable. And that is the reason they refuse to even give me a store credit. After belatedly contacting the West Florida BBB, I discovered that they have an unsatisfactory record and that the BBB has processed 10 complaints in the last 36 month. While I understand what a "All Sales Final" policy means, I believe it should apply only when one receives what one has been promised.

Really bad people. convicted felon, watch out!

ID