Cetergy Check Services - Shame on any company who uses Certegy services

Certegy Check Services Company Issue/Complaint – May 30, 2018 On December 16, 2017 I wrote a check at Macys Department Store for $15.90. Macys kept the check to collect their payment via the bank but they also put the check through electronically so that my bank account was accessed twice for this payment. When my husband saw the error on our next bank statement he contacted PNC Bank and they agreed it was in error and they refunded us the duplictet payment. Unfortunately, because Macys uses Certegy Check Services company, Certegy viewed this as a returned or bounced check and flagged our bank account as a problem. In February my check was declined at Joann Fabric and in March my check was declined at Michaels Craft store, in April my check was declined at Ross Dress for Less and today my check was declined at Marshalls. Every time I contact Certegy their staff are very polite and always apologize for my inconvenience but then tell me it will take anywhere from 7-30 days for an investigation into the incidence to be completed. On March 16th my husband and I went to the bank and the bank officer contacted Certegy and explained what had happened with the check to Macys in December and assured Certegy that our bank account was in good standing and the check to Macys in December was not a returned check but rather correction of an overpayment. She was told by Certegy that this information would be noted in my file and that she did not need anything else from us or the bank. A week later I got a letter from Certegy stating that they cannot clear my account until they receive a letter from the bank. On April 17th my husband and I again went to the bank and had an officer write a letter from the bank to Certegy explaining what caused the refund to us from Macys. The bank officer faxed the letter to Certegy and the agent from Certegy on the phone told us that she had the fax and would place it into my file to resolve the issue. Two weeks later I received another letter stating that they had not received anything from the bank. On May 27th I wrote a check at Kohls which was declined so I came home, called Certegy and faxed a copy of the bank letter to them for my file. At that time Certegy told me that faxes take 72 hours to get to the file so the employee the month before obviously lied to us when she said she had the fax in hand minutes after it had been faxed to them. Today my check was declined at Marshalls so I again called Certegy only to be told that every time I call about a declined check and an investigation is started it stops any previous investigations that were ongoing. That means that if I continue to have issues with stores accepting my checks then this issue will likely never get resolved. It is criminal that this company is so inept at doing their job correctly and yet all of these stores use their services – despite the fact that the Federal Trade Commission fined them 3.5 million dollars in 2013 for alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Furnisher Rule. As a side note – I contacted Macys’ corporate office in Ohio six weeks ago and asked if they could intervene on my behalf to get this situation resolved and they took no blame for starting this whole mess, stating that it is Certegy who has to resolve the issue. Yesterday I filed a complaint against Certegy with the FTC in the hopes that I can get some resolution.
ID
Tampa, Florida
Service
Cetergy Check Services Check Cashing
Cons
  • How long it takes for them to resolve an issue
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
This company needs to become more accountable for their actions.