EasyTech Alternative

Crayons and computers don't go well together. This is a lesson I learned when my 5 year old decided to decorate my computer. He had stuffed a couple into the case and caused it to stop working all together. Hoping that it wasn't a complete wash I called Easy Tech at Staples. They instructed me to bring it in and they would diagnose the problem. After a couple of days they recommended that I replace the computer. The representative then showed me some computers that they had "On Sale". Unfortunately I couldn't afford the several hundreds of dollars to purchase a new computer and went home disappointed after paying $70 for diagnosis and still had a computer in a crayon induced coma. A couple of months later a friend suggested I call a company that bailed her out of a bad computer crash. She gave me their business card that morning and by 3 that afternoon my computer was back up and running again. All those pictures I thought I had lost of my baby boy were still there! All of files, my music and my personal tax documents from the previous years were there. I am actually typing this review on the same computer. I am so glad I didn't just junk this one and purchase a new PC. Secure Remote Support charged me $79.99 to diagnose and repair when Easy tech would have had me buy a new computer from them for hundreds of dollars more. I recommend secureremotesupport.com to anyone who may be watching the budget and need help ASAP. They've happily got my business.

Wow, just because the tech at that store didn't try harder, that doesn't mean that there aren't good techs out there. EasyTech @ Staples is my bread and butter and I have a large customer base because of my honesty.

Don't judge an entire company based on an experience you had with an individual. Remote services are good, but face-to-face is better. A few mins talking to a tech should be enough for anyone to feel if they're talking to someone who wants to help or someone who's just interested in making money. If I had been the tech working on your computer I would've given you many options, not just one, and one of the first things I would've told you was "Shall we see if your data is still intact?".

@Kathryn: I let all my customers know what a free tune-up can and cannot do for them.

But I will never "push" or "upsell" things if all they want is a tune-up. But when they want some advice, I give it to them.

Remote support companies can't possibly tell you everything. Example: that you have motherboard damage if the computer is still functional.

And yes, you can have damage to the motherboard that will slow down a computer. Bulging or leaking capacitors can cause this problem, but no remote technician is going to be able to see that, no matter how good they are.

I dont think its a scam at all, I've been to Staples before for their free PC tune up and was upsold on stuff I did not need or want. There is nothing wrong with recommending another company that may provide better service than the other. I prefer it that way, makes deciding a little bit easier.

You see this scam everywhere on-line, dishing staples or bestbuy and recommending some *** on-line service, be careful and stay away from this scam!

I used techdepot a couple of weeks ago, their running a scam over there, plain and simple. Hard to find a company you can trust.

View more comments (4)