Choice Home Warranty's reply to:

Choice Home Warranty - Denial of Coverage

Dear Lynda Joyner,
We sincerely apologize that you have not been satisfied with our services. Our Consumer Advocate will contact you directly to provide further assistance.
ID
Preferred solution
Deliver product or service ordered

Verified Reviewer

We filed a claim with Choice Home Warranty for the HVAC unit. Choice Home dispatched a technician on Monday.

He reported to me that both sides of the unit had a problem, condenser and the coil. CHW decided to replace the unit, but to only pay for the Air Handler, that we could have to pay for the condenser and all modifications, with an estimate of approximately $2100 cost to us. They said they would not pay for the condenser because it was not broken, so we would have to pay for all modifications because when one side is broken and other one was not broken, we are responsible. They pointed me to section C, part 10 of the contract dealing with AC.

I explained that was not what the technician had told me. He told me both sides were broken. And during the phone conversation with CHW, they read the notes to me from the technician that clearly stated both sides of the unit were broken, but CHW insisted, I was wrong and only one side was broken.

I then called BCA Climate (technician) and spoke with them again. Asked once again, what was broken on the system.

He stated he reported the compressor on the outside and the coil leak on the inside as the causes of the system not working. He said both problems had to be repaired for the system to work. I emailed CHW on Tuesday with this information, they again said the air handler was the only broken side, and we would have to pay for the outside unit.

Since I kept getting the same information back, which was their refusal to acknowledge the outside unit as being broken, I called today, Thursday, and asked for a new claims person to be assigned, hoping they would be willing to look at the technicians notes and acknowledge that both sides were broken.

When the new claims person called back an hour later, the entire story had changed. They acknowledged that both sides were broken, but they still would not cover the outside unit, because it was an internal failure, not mechanical, then pointed me to section 2a of the contract that states, All systems must become inoperative due to normal wear and tear.

I asked what about the condenser breaking was not normal wear and tear, but the only phrase the senior claims manager would repeat is an internal failure, not mechanical over and over and that CHW would not cover the condenser, that the decision had been made and would not change. I asked her to be more specific, but she kept repeating the same phrase, "an internal failure, not mechanical." I needed to have an adult conversation, but no luck. I then asked for someone else, above her, but she refused and said there was no one else. I asked if she owned the company.

She said no, but she would not let me talk to the owner or anyone else.

I asked how it wasn't normal wear and tear since the AC system was inspected for performance before we bought the home and has been covered by a home warranty since we bought the home. Above that, we pay a local company to service our systems two times a year, and we replace all filters the first of every month. So they refuse to replace our unit because they decided it was not broken due to normal wear and tear.

I reached out to the technician again today, Thursday, and asked him, as a licensed HVAC person, was there anything about what he saw that would be classified as anything other than normal wear and tear. He stated no, that in his professional opinion, that it was absolutely from normal usage.

I am frustrated that apparently CHW gets to decide to override the technicians professional opinion and randomly decide to refuse coverage on something because they don't want to pay for it.

I am filing a complaint with the State of Virginia as well as here and will be contacting my real estate agent, so they will no longer recommend this company! I have paid CHW over $2,000 for a long term warranty and after getting the premium, CHW does not want to pay for the very things, they say they will cover.

Bottom line, they are refusing to fulfill the contract. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

User's recommendation: Do not do business with this company!!!!!!!