Junior Reviewer

Safeway Moving Systems - Defrauded us with bait and switch.

The company made an estimate on our move. We believe they intentionally misrepresented our inventory and underestimated the number of boxes so they could have a lower price than competing movers. They told us they believed the estimate was accurate and said it was binding not to exceed the price and told us we "wouldnt pay a penny more unless [we] went out and bought five grand pianos. We did not purchase or add any new items. A week before the move they said the estimate was done badly -- he said that things were entered wrong and they needed to add hundreds more boxes and would raise the price by more than $10,000. They said that would include full value replacement, but then sent a new contract without full value replacement. They then said they wouldn't do full value replacement unless we paid yet another $7,000. They attempted to blame us saying we should have known we would have needed more boxes despite their estimator saying that was the number of boxes we need. How were we supposed to know how many boxes we would need? We believe they were intentionally attempting to defraud us. They told us they are going to unilaterally cancel our move and keep our deposit.

User's recommendation: FRAUD WARNING!!! Do not use!!

Safeway Moving Systems Long Distance Moving Service
Cons
  • Misrepresented service
  • Take a deposit then raise the estimate
  • Unprofessional conduct
Full refund

Junior Reviewer

Resolved: Home Depot broke my front door and storm door during a delivery and won't fix it.

Update by user Dec 14, 2020

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with product replacement. Company apologized, replaced the refrigerator and replaced the door for free..

Original review posted by user Oct 18, 2019
On August 31, 2019, I purchased a refrigerator from Home Depot. It was delivered Sept. 12, 2019. However during the delivery, they broke my front door in multiple ways. The storm door frame was broken off the house with damage to the door jam. They did something to the main door as well as it does not close all the way. They also damaged the refrigerator. I notified Home Depot the next day via the number they supplied to me on the email about the delivery. That number said they would replace the refrigerator but I was instructed to call my local Home Depot store about the damage. I did so the next day. The manager took my information and told me someone would be getting back to me soon. A week later I got a call from an adjuster who took some information and said he would get back to me. He called a gain a few days later. He seemed to verbally dance around a bit trying to avoid doing anything and said he would contact me again. On Sept 27 -- two weeks after damaging my house -- I received an email saying they had passed it to another company. In that email the person revealed he was not actually with Home Depot but some company called Sedgwick, which I later learned is Home Depot's insurance company. That other company never got in touch with me. On Oct 14, 2019, a month after the damage to my home, I emailed that person back saying no one had gotten back to me and I needed my door fixed. I copied whatever emails at Home Depot I could find. Two days later I got an email from someone at Home Depot Customer Care "Expedited Services" apologizing and saying they would take care of it right away. I was given a list of information I needed to provide, which I provided immediately. Today, Oct 18, 2019, Home Depot wrote back and said that "because you have a claim open with Sedgwick I'm unable to assist you any further. Please reach out to Sedgwick for the next steps for resolution." I explained that I filed a claim with Home Depot and Home Depot may have passed it to their insurance company, but I solely did business with Home Depot so it is they who are responsible for my door. However Home Depot is refusing to take responsibility for it and do anything. Meanwhile it has been more than five weeks and I still have a front door that won't close properly and a storm door hanging off the hinges! Home Depot, however, just wants to pass the buck.

Why not file a complaint with your state AG or consumer affairs department?? That has always worked for me.

Resolved Featured
Potomac, Virginia
Home Depot Delivery Service
Problem with delivery
Preferred solution
I want a working front door and storm door. Plus now that it has been well over a month, I want compensation for the inconvenience and time I have suffered without a working front door.

Junior Reviewer

Asus - Product breaks and they scam about the warranty.

Purchased a Chromebook C213SA less than a year ago (Dec 18, 2018 )for my son. It said it had a one year warranty. Last night when he took out the USB-C plug, the metal port came with it. I went on the ASUS website and tried to get an RMA and couldn't even find the model number. I had to go through their very slow and annoying online chat. When I did, I was told the warranty had expired in September. The agent quoted a price to repair it that was roughly what I paid for the whole laptop!! I told them no, it was purchased in December. They had me send in the invoice. The next day I get a reply that the warranty now expired last March! I had to go through the terrible and slow online chat again. The person there said since it was factory refurbished it only had a 3 month warranty. This was not in any way specified when I purchased it. In fact, it said it had a 12 month warranty. I told the agent that and he just kept repeating over and over the same thing. The marketing for the chromebook talked about how rugged and durable it is and how easy it is to repair because of its "modular design." Apparently that means it will break within a year and cost as much as the entire computer cost to repair a small plug. And they scam you on the warranty.
Arlington, Virginia
Asus Laptop Repair
Cons
  • Warranty bait and switch
  • Terrible support page on website
  • Poor quality
Warranty issue
Fix it under the proper 12 month warranty, with expedited service and shipping

Mini Of Montgomery County - Screwed my wife

Update by user Sep 13, 2018

Update -- I spoke with the Service Manager. He was very polite but his response basically amounted to, well, she signed for it.

He emailed me the invoice to show she signed for the work. Here is my reply: Mr. ____ Thank you for sending this. My wife just returned from work and I have asked her about it.

She says that she made it clear to the woman in your shop that she only wanted to have done what was necessary for the car to run without immediately breaking down. She said the alert on her screen said she had to take it to a mini-deaership immediately or there would be severe engine damage. She said she told the woman she spoke with that was why she was there and that she only wanted to do what was necessary to keep the car from the catastrophic fate described on the warning. She says the woman who scanned her key told her that these things “needed to be done.” My wife said she reiterated that she only could afford what was absolutely necessary to keep the car running and that the woman again told her that the car indicated those things needed to be done.

The woman never told her or in any way indicated that this was scheduled maintenance and may have nothing to do with the oil pressure light and the warning. My wife was then presented with a paper with the work she was told needed to be done and she signed it. My wife says she was given the clear impression that the work she agreed to was what she had asked for — solely what was necessary to prevent the car from breaking down on her way to her next appointments. It sure sounds to me like my wife was deceived — or at least things were worded in a way that allowed your service person to take advantage of her ignorance of auto mechanics.

She says she made it extremely clear that she only wanted you to do whatever work was needed to prevent catastrophic failure — both in the online appointment request and verbally — and that she was told that she needed to do these things. And we both know that flushing the brake system and changing the spark plugs had nothing whatsoever to do with the warning she had been getting. As such, we do not feel she should pay for anything but the oil change.

(And even paying for the oil change to me is generous on our part, as she had just had her oil changed in May and it seems that all that actually needed to be done was topping off the oil.) We hope you will honor this request so that we don’t have to take this further. Thank you for your prompt cooperation with this matter.

Original review posted by user Sep 12, 2018
My wife went to this dealership because she had an urgent service light come on. She took it there and they came up with a whole list of things they say need to be done. They didn't fix any of them but charged her more than $500 to change the oil and fluids -- something that would cost maybe $50 -75 at Jiffy lube!! They told her that she needed to get that all done and she thought it had something to do with the actual problem that caused the indicator to go on. Totally deceptive and taking advantage of her!!! So now we are $500 poorer and they didn't fix the problems.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Mini Of Montgomery County Car Repair
Pricing issue
Full refund

Resolved: SquareTrade - Refused to honor warranty. FRAUD

Update by user Aug 17, 2018

After I posted negative reviews here, with the BBB and other places, the company contacted me and apologized. They said they reviewed the tapes and I was right.

The said that the employees should not have responded the way that they did and would be remediated. They offered to pay the entire cost of the Chromebook -- the check arrived the following week.

Original review posted by user Jul 18, 2018
Repaired my son's laptop after he cracked the screen but the repair was defective and the screen cracked the day after we got it back without my son doing anything. The company acknowledged that it was a defective repair and promised that they would fix it and the repair would not count against the lifetime total cost. Months later the laptop broke again and I called to get it repaired. They refused to fix it saying the lifetime cost had been used. I told them they had promised that the second repair would not count against it. They still refused to fix it. I was told they would listen to the tapes and get back to me. They never did. I called multiple other times -- each time was told that it was being escalated and they would get back to me within 2 days. They never called back. I called again today -- 6 weeks after it broke -- and was again given a runaround. I was told they were not allowed to transfer me to a supervisor and that I would get a call back within in 2 days. I refused to hang up and finally they did transfer me to the supervisor. The supervisor was rude and lied about the 2nd repair saying it was accidental damage when it wasn't. He said that he would listen to the recording of the March 13 conversation and get back to me (which is the same thing I was told the last 4 calls) . I told him if he claims I wasn't told that it wouldn't count against the total, that I would need to hear the recording myself for proof. He said they wouldn't do that and would only deny my claim and he said that no matter what was on it they wouldn't honor the warranty -- which was essentially an admission of intent to commit fraud.

You got lucky. It is so out of character for Square Trade to accept liability for anything.

Resolved
Squaretrade Electronics Claim
Cons
  • Being defrauded or the terrible customer service
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
I want an expedited repair. Also for the inconvenience and the time without the laptop for nearly 2 months now, I would like free lifetime repairs on the device.

Junior Reviewer
Horrible service! My MacBook Pro's had a couple problems and the Apple Stores nearby all had a day or two wait for appointments, so I took it to Micro Center in Fairfax, VA. Unfortunately that was a mistake. The technician who took my computer didn't seem to understand...

For the record it has now been 6 months since I supplied the requested information and of course there was no response.

View more comments
Fairfax, Virginia
Micro Center Laptop Repair
Cons
  • Being lied to by an arrogant manager
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution