Verified Reviewer

Walmart - Abusive or Harassing Employees at the Livingston, Texas SuperCenter

Update by user Jan 22, 2021

Per the email link sent to me by pissedconsumer.com, I contacted Walmart corporate's customer service. I provided a summary of what happened at their Livingston, Texas store, and also provided a link to the detailed review I provided here, at pissedconsumer.com.

I have yet to receive an answer, much less an acknowledgement of what the employee did to me. I did some checking on Google, and found multiple instances of this happening to other people around the country...particularly, Florida. So, I thought it would be helpful to cut-and-paste the relevant portion of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, as it relates to minors (under the age of 21 years) and children (16 years old, and younger). Hopefully, the low-brow troll, "Dewain", that took an interest in my post , can learn a little something.

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CODE; TITLE 4. REGULATORY AND PENAL PROVISIONS; CHAPTER 106. PROVISIONS RELATING TO AGESec. 106.05.

POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL BY A MINOR. (a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a minor commits an offense if he possesses an alcoholic beverage.(b) A minor may possess an alcoholic beverage: (2) if the minor is in the visible presence of his adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or other adult to whom the minor has been committed by a court;I've talked about what happened to a local journalist friend who is regionally syndicated on a weekly food column she writes for the publication company that owns the local paper. I'm scheduled to meet with the paper's editor about starting a weekly column in the paper, as well as in their quarterly regional edition. The topic would cover how to begin shifting your purchases to Amazon - and doing price and convenience comparisons to show how much more effectively you can cover your household needs online.

I gave Walmart the opportunity to fix this...and they haven't. Since I've been already making the shift to Amazon, I find myself thinking that this encounter was a blessing in disguise!

Original review updated by user Jan 11, 2021
1.11.21 - I entered the store with my 15 year-old son today, who was with me due to an inclement weather closure at Livingston High School. I was there for one item, a shoe rack for my son's closet, but we ended up shopping for several items. Included, was a bottle of wine (for home), and Mike's Hard Lemonade (for my law office partner's stash at work...since I had raided it). We were checking out through the self-scan area. I was scanning items, and my son was, as well. Apparently, he grabbed the Mike's Hard Lemonade and scanned it. Of course, the interactive screen indicated that the process was stopped until a Walmart employee could verify age of the purchaser. I looked around, and saw a female employee looking at me...huddled over in the corner, talking to two other employees; and making no effort to come over. I kept eye contact with her for about 4-5 seconds, until it got uncomfortable, an which point I waived her over. I should interject at this point that the store was packed, and there were probably over 30 customers milling about in the self-check area, and about 75 to 100 customers within a 75 foot radius of where we standing. She immediately asked form my 15 year-old son's id. I smiled, and acted like it was a joke. She made this demand 3 times, until I finally laughed, and told her I was buying the product, not my son. She replied that "the law" states that if a minor touches the packaging of an alcoholic beverage, that the product cannot be sold to the accompanying adult. I've been a lawyer for over 30 years, and told her so. I also told her that I had worked as both a prosecutor and as an administrative attorney - particularly with the TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission), and that I knew for a fact that no such law or agency rule existed in ANY Texas code. She replied that she would get a manager, but that she wouldn't authorize the sale - and was hostile the entire time. I responded, "Great - get a manager. In the meantime, I'm going back to the beer cooler to exchange the Mike's Hard Lemonade container with another one that won't have my son's fingerprints or touch DNA on it...make sure it gets rung-up when I get back." I then told my son, "Stay right where you are...I don't care if the line backs up to the other side of the store." There was no manager when I got back. What a shock...that would NEVER happen at this Walmart. Just some older lady named Sylvia - or something like that - with a name badge that said "Team Lead". She backed up the original hostile employee, but at least had the presence of mind to claim that their refusal to sell an alcoholic product due to a minor touching the packaging was "store policy" instead of the law in Texas. When I began to explain to her that at least 100 store patrons per day would seek the assistance of an accompanying minor to pull product from the beer cooler and put it in their shopping cart - as well as help their parents get it through the check-out - she cut me off and simply stated, "We're declining to sell you alcohol". I told them to re-stock their inventory themselves, and walked out with my son. For the next hour, he talked about how he couldn't believe what had just happened, and repeatedly asked me it was his fault - and whether that was actually the law (or store policy) that he shouldn't even touch a alcoholic beverage container. He also had the insight to ask why - if that was Walmart's policy - weren't there signs so advising on the cooler doors and check-out stands / kiosks? Of course, there is no such ludicrously ridiculous store policy. I worked for Walmart corporate in NW Arkansas for 5 years, and know for a fact that no such corporate policy existed at the time - stating, in effect, that a minor child who is helping a parent to shop for items cannot come into contact with a container holding an alcoholic beverage. I also know that no such corporate policy would have been enacted in the time since I left employment there. Further, I know that individual Walmart stores don't have the authority to enact such a policy at the local level. I was enraged when I walked out. Other than a couple of fast-food restaurants I patronized while travelling through Louisiana on US I-10, in 57 years of life, I have never been treated this way by an employee of a company. They robbed me of an hour of my time, embarrassed me publicly, and lost a sale that was close to $100.

User's recommendation: This Walmart is the only game in town for anything other than groceries, and they know it. I've had family tell me for years that I need to enter the 21st century, and start using Amazon to purchase anything that Walmart sells. I'm going to start, and I encourage all internet resisters - like myself - to rethink their existing personal policy, and do the same thing. It's supposed to be cheaper and much more convenient, anyway. If I could put these people out of business myself, I would do it.

#1971987

If you really were a lawyer then you would know that this law exists. Stop lying and pretending that you are a lawyer to make yourself seem more knowledgeable .

It makes you sound stupid. Obviously you are an underaged child trying to buy alochol. With your lack of maturity no way are you close to be old enough to drink.

Your son us more mature than you . With your anger he too bill be an alcoholic.

#1978525
@Dewain

Dewain: It appears that some immature or otherwise-bad-influence person in your life showed you what really nasty people do to each other on social media IT apps...such as Twitter, Facebook or Parler. Those insulting people...they're called "trolls"; and they waste their entire lives doing that activity.

It's very obvious that you don't have the social or mental development to understand that trying to become like those people sets a VERY low bar at which to aim for your life goals. But, Dewain, this website is not a social media platform, and no one is watching in anticipation of what you will write next. You also need to understand that your posts aren't clever, and you're not very good at scripting insults. Son, it makes you sort of appear like a participant in the Special Olympics of trolling...except that there is no one in the stands cheering, and you don't get a medal.

What you haven't learned yet is that internet trolls create within their minds what is termed "an addictive, negative bio-feedback loop" that ultimately destroys their lives. Let me give you this illustration to explain...when you put a drop of food coloring into a clean glass of water, it never, ever stays contained to the size of that little drop of food coloring when you first put it in. It spreads out evenly over the whole glass. This is the same principle that applies to what you're doing.

If you keep trying to learn how to be a troll, you'll eventually wake up one day to realize that your trolling activities have spread out through your whole life. Just a few of the results you'll get are: 1) the friends you wanted to have are long gone, 2) you don't have ANY meaningful relationships, 3) you stay isolated, and 4) you're miserably unhappy in your life, and don't know what to do about it. You seem either very young, or alternatively, under-educated as an adult. Instead of engaging in something as meaningless as what you're now doing, why don't you put your mind to something that will help you, and that will bless you in your life.

For example - do some selfless act of help and good to another person, and see if it doesn't make you feel good about the day you're having; and see if it doesn't inspire you to have a productive day.

It's up to you. If you ignore the wisdom that is given to you, then you do so at your own peril.

#1971984

Clearly you are lying. You are not really a lawyer

#1971809

This complaint is too long to read.

#1971814
@Anonymous

That doesn't speak very well for your mental acuity.

View more comments (4)
ID
Livingston, Texas
Service
Walmart Grocery Department
Pros
  • Most employees in electronics are nice and helpful
Cons
  • Spiteful employees
  • Spiteful employees with no recourse to redress
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution