Aggieland Houses - Terrible Management

I lived in an apartment managed by Aggieland Houses and Cortiers Realty from October of 2015 to May of 2017 and I feel it is important that I share my experience with anyone considering signing a lease. Attached below there is a detailed list of grievances but it is important that I immediately make clear to anyone considering signing a lease with Aggieland Houses and Cortiers Realty of what I feel is an unusually disreputable quality of personnel they will be dealing with for the term of their lease. It is my wholehearted opinion that the Aggieland houses Managing Director and the Cortiers Realty Broker are rude, crooked, and manipulative, additionally I believe Aggieland Houses will attempt to weasel every last cent out of you. Although the Aggieland Houses staff is polite and accommodating pre-signature, once I signed their lease there was a distinct shift in the attitude with which I was treated. From the first month I was at my new apartment until the day I received my security deposit back, they were unpleasant to deal with. They failed to pro-rate my rent after terminating my lease when they signed a new tenant in my apartment while I still resided there. They refused to fix faulty appliances in a timely manner. They neglected to attempt contacting me before entering my apartment. They declined a responsibility to respect my privacy after voicing the aforementioned concern even though it is clearly laid out in the lease. They cleverly worded an amended lease to terminate my existing lease so that they retained almost $200.00 ($31.00 to replace TWO lightbulbs!) of my security deposit, despite a special provision in the amended lease not to charge for normal wear and maintenance after my expedited departure. The apartments provided by Aggieland houses are a cut above the typical student housing in this area in terms of quality and location, but I do not feel this validates both the significantly higher rent and the unfathomably poor management. Having dealt with other leasing agencies in the area that treated the college-age population as 2nd tier clientele, I assumed that a more expensive rent and nicer apartment would be cause for a change in this treatment. I was very wrong. I consistently felt as if Aggieland Houses continued to approach the tenant-landlord relationship as an intimidation game. For all who are seriously considering a lease with Aggieland Houses, I highly encourage you to read my detailed narrative below. It is copy of a comprehensive warning I provided to my former neighbors in the hopes that they might avoid the same issues I faced. 1)My microwave and washer/dryer unit broke within the span of a month. My washer/dryer would spontaneously turn off mid-cycle and the microwave wouldnt heat or turn the dish inside. Since these were appliances furnished by the apartment, I emailed Aggieland homes and asked for a work order to be put in. I described both of these appliances as broken, as I felt any rational person would do. After the initial visit to check out the appliances, they deemed that the microwave was not in fact broken. This logic escaped me then, as it does now. They refused to fix it citing it was still functional. After a few weeks of being out of commission, the washer was eventually fixed. The only way I got the microwave fixed was to ask one of the leasing agents why the microwave had not been repaired while he was showing my apartment to a potential client. 2)After someone from Aggieland houses entered my apartment without my knowledge and failed to leave any kind of notification that they were present, I emailed the Managing Director and asked that anyone who comes in at least let me know. I received an email back from the Managing Director that said In regards to your request, [] we have many properties to manage and lease, and we cant make the promise to not show unless you are notified. The lease agreement does not provide you that privilege, and if you want to be able to make that demand in the future then I recommend you write it into the next lease you sign. In reality, the Landlord is required, per the lease, to attempt to contact the leaseholder prior to entry unless certain stipulations, such as leaving written notices, and seizing property if in default occur. 3)At the beginning of 2017 I asked Aggieland Houses to find someone to take over my lease. They said they would find someone. Around mid-May, I received a text from Aggieland houses asking me when I was planning on moving out. Since my lease ended in July and I had not heard that there was a new tenant who had already signed a lease, I told them I had not made any plans to be out. Aggieland Houses then informed me that they had found a new tenant for my apartment and that they wanted to move them in ASAP, ergo, they needed me out. Despite the negligence exhibited with the last minute notification, they were very unhelpful when it came to working with my already hectic school and work schedule. Originally they just wanted me out within the week. We eventually settled on a deal; since this was so last minute they would pay for movers to put my things in storage and I would not have pay for basic maintenance and cleaning out of my security deposit when I left. This deal was only achieved after multiple heated emails and phone calls between many levels of Aggieland Houses management. 4)Despite the aforementioned deal struck between myself and Aggieland Houses, They did not give me all of my security deposit back. In fact, I had to call the Aggieland Houses office to ask why my check had not been received more than a month after moving out and the Managing director told me she still had it on her desk. Once I received an itemized security deposit deduction list, I was shocked. I had expected some withholdings, especially given the level of resistance I encountered when working with them, but they kept near $200 of my deposit. $31.00 alone for changing two lightbulbs. $75.00 for refrigerator cleaning. $15 to rehang a smoke detector. These were only a few of the ridiculous charges I received. When I called Aggieland Houses to ask about the charges, they told me disputes could only be handled via email. So I wrote a clear and precise email quoting the amended lease that stated I would not be charged for basic cleaning and maintenance. They wrote back and told me their decision was final. In summary, I believe the apartment I lived in was in a great location. I had great neighbors. But I cannot and will not endorse any aspect of Aggieland Houses or Cortiers Realty while the current management team is in place and I strongly caution any potential tenants from signing a lease without a comprehensive analysis of the Aggieland Houses and Cortiers Realty operation and the risks associated with doing business with an organization like this.
ID
Service
Aggieland Houses Apartment Rental
Pros
  • Apartment
Cons
  • Leasing agency
Reason of review