Verified Reviewer

LIGHTING THE WEB - Awful Customer Service Experience!

Update by user Dec 18, 2020

Although I did get the courtesy of a call from a CSR manager, she seemed apologetic but made no offer to resolve the issue. She did identify this as a good learning experience for her staff, but that does me absolutely no good.

Original review posted by user Dec 18, 2020
Upon my first call to return this item, I explained that I was trying to return an item that was too small with the intent to purchase a larger fixture. After taking my order number and pulling up my order, the representative (Kara) then asked, what is the problem? I again explained that Id like to return the fixture for a larger one. Kara then explained that Id need to shoulder the cost of the shipping. My response: I have no problem doing so. I asked whether the cost could be deducted from my refund/credit. Kara again said no, I would need to ship the item back and pay the cost on my end. She further explained that I would get an email with instructions to complete the return within 24 to 48 hours of the call. I was concerned as to why instructions for shipping would take such an inordinate amount of time, but ok. Kara then told me that I needed to keep Lighting the Web informed of the tracking progress. This again confused me, but made sense after I recd the instructions (less than an hour later) indicating that the item would be returned directly to the manufacturer (or a warehouse other than the original shipping location. With that said, already in my car, I headed to the UPS store to get the box weighed for an estimate of cost. I then discovered that the cost to return the item would be $93.nearly one half of the purchase price. I then drove down the road to FedEx, only to find that the cost there was even more$101. Upon discovering that returning this fixture will cost me nearly half the purchase price, I again called to request that an accommodation be made to provide a return label and that the cost of same be deducted from my credit (reasoning that your cost would be less, and that savings could be passed on to your customer). After a brief hold, representative #2 (Arora) returned to the line and again advised that Id have to pay a courier my cost to return the item. I press on to explain that I dont mind paying the cost for the return, I just dont want to pay nearly 50% of the purchase price. She then suggested that I sell the item to someone else, in order to avoid the high cost of return shipping. I didnt find this an acceptable solution for several reasons. After explaining that my request is not at all unusual or unreasonable, Arora then suggested that Im asking her to do something nefarious which would cost her her job! But my request is nothing out of the ordinarythis is a routine practice in eCommerce! In order to provide stellar customer service, make returns simple and convenient, and to keep customers coming back, most companies I do business with online make this accommodation for their customers. However, rather than acknowledging that Lighting the Web hasnt had the foresight or interest in meeting this very basic consumer need, or doesnt have the operational capacity to do accommodate this widely practiced standard, I am accused of attempting to purchase a discount shipping label?! I have NEVER encountered and suffered this level of offense or treatment by a customer service professional in my life!

User's recommendation: Steer clear!

ID
Pros
  • Swift shipping and delivery
Cons
  • Poor and offensive customer service on facilitating return
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution