Verified Reviewer

Kenny Kent Toyota - Faulty steel used for differential housing

Diff. is leaking oil. Not from seal but from inside out due to rust thru! Did Toyota use the same steel it used to make frames to make differential housings?

User's recommendation: Before buying any Toyota, ask from where they bought the steel to make major components of vehicle.

ID
Knight, Indiana
Pros
  • Thought toyota made quality vehicles
Cons
  • Inferior steel in maj parts of vehicle frame rear diff housing
Loss
$2000
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Verified Reviewer

Toyota - Excessive oil consumpion

My 2011 Prius consumes aprox 1 qt. of oil between oil changes since it turned over 100,000 mi. Before that, it did not need oil between oil service intervals. When I check the oil between changes, it usually takes approx. 12 oz. to fill to full mark on dip sick and I usually check it three times; more often since it has started to use oil. I park at work and at home in the same parking slot and no oil is present under the car in either spot. My assumption is that the oil consumption is occurring thru the engine. Engine also looks clear of any oil "splash". Are there any recalls or customer service actions to address this problem? Should I call the dealer where I purchased the car and file a complaint there.

The vehicle---and I say this while trying to not laugh---obviously has an internal problem. While not a real problem now, it will get worse with time. I suggest you dump the thing and buy a better, more reliable car before something major happens.

ID
Boonville, Indiana
Product
2011 Toyota Prius Car
Pros
  • Toyota vehicles and service
Reason of review