Downtownhost does not return prepaid amounts

Update by user May 22, 2016

Problems with payment

Original review posted by user May 19, 2016
DowntownHost web hosting – Would not return funds sent for prepaid services. They have good service and value. But watch out if you choose to renew. I used them for 7 years and renewed for a third term on a 3-year plan. Under their Terms of Service, Payment obligations, it says “If client has retained the services for one (1) year and has pre-paid Downtownhost for such services, refunds will be issued for any unused full month portions of the services upon clients request.” You would think that after 7 years, I certainly would qualify. But, they tacked 7 words onto the end of that Payment paragraph: “Refunds are not available on account renewals.” Huh? So to protect yourself if you renew, better choose the shorted time available. I chose another 3 years, only used a few months, and the rest of my payment went down the drain! I complained and exchanged a bunch of emails through their support system, talking to the founder, Jorge Catena. Eventually he offered to return half of my prepaid funds outstanding, $67, which he thought was fair. I did not agree that it was fair, but I agreed to accept his offer. Now we began a dance around actually sending the money! His company is located near Sarasota, FL. He claimed that he could not send by mail, could not write a check, could not buy a money order, and could not refund to my credit card. (Anyone accepting credit cards can always post a credit to a credit card account.) He offered a “wired transfer” but not using Bank of America, which my bank uses. It’s been more than a week, and I get only silence. Note their About Us says: “DTH believes in delivering the best service by instituting honesty and integrity in everything we do.”

resolved at their original 1/2 offer

ID
Sarasota, Florida
Service
Downtownhost Web Hosting
Pros
  • Good value for service
Cons
  • Not refunding prepaid
Reason of review