Epson printer ink bad value

I bought an Epson XP630 printer about 6months ago for school. It seemed a good value and indeed it does do a good job of printing and scanning. However, the ink system is a total rip-off. I have already spent more on ink than the for the printer itself, and I really don't print much at all. Here's one example: My cyan was depleted, so I replaced it. After loading it (just that one!), ALL the other cartridge levels dropped at least 10%. Which then caused the yellow to be depleted, even though I hadn't printed a single page yet. So then I had to replace the yellow, and sure enough, ALL the cartridges dropped again. Now the black, which this morning had about 40% left, is at about 10%. It just dumps inks from all the cartridges! WITHOUT printing a single page! I have taken the advice of other commenters to NEVER turn the printer off (it dumps a lot of ink every time it powers on/off). I also specify gray scale printing for anything black&white, since I've learned that even black text will use the color inks. I also reduce the quality to deliver less ink-- on default it uses way more than is necessary. With these settings I estimate I can get about 100 pages of black text, still less than the advertised estimated capacity. A total scam. And because of their fancy-schmancy microchips, you cannot refill the cartridges or use an after-market supplier. Also you might want to disable auto-update of settings, because they keep finding ways to take away features. Like, at first I had the option to continue printing using the photo-black cartridge if the regular black ran out, but after "updating" this option has been removed. Gee, thanks. Since I never print photos this means the only way I use the photo-black is when the printer dumps ink to waste... Caveat emptor.
ID