Smartstop Self Storage - Storage Rental Fees - Raised EVERY 8 months! In 2 years I paid $91 INCREASE!

Contact information: SMARTSTOP SELF STORAGE Tel.: 905-277-**** 3136 Mavis Road Mississauga, Ontario L5C 1T9 Canada www. smartstopselfstorage.com DO NOT USE! This company tells clients that they 'MAY' raise the rent every 8 to 12 months. The BIG LIE is that they raise it every 8 months! But, they continue to tell all new clients 8-12 months. This reeks of bad business practice. The raise is usually in excess of $20.00. I started with a 10 X15 unit in Fall 2013 at $159/month, primarily because a friend was already renting there and I got the first month for $1. I have complained every single time they raised the rent every 8 months but was unable to relocate to another storage. Today, January 2016 is my last month as the rent is now $250/month. In the 25 months (2 years, 1 month) the rental fee went up by $91. The workers claim that they are following policy and that I signed a contract. I switched units at one point and, when I signed the second contract they refused to give me the full contract as I had crossed out a number of their clauses which they initially accepted and argued with me that they did not accept my changes, which they had by signing off on the first contract. This reminds me of the Nuremburg trials where the defendants say they were doing what they were told! And, to top it off, I was NOT given the required notice that they were going to raise the rent this month. I did not receive any notice at all. Yet, the manager quoted my address and insisted that a letter was send out. She had NO proof whatsoever that a letter was sent to my address. So, she 'sent' a letter that I never received and it is my fault. She and the District Manager totally refused to deviate from the increase or late fee that may result from their lack of calling me before the date of late fee imposition. This company LACKS integrity and is best avoided. They have 4 storage centres here and I understand that they are opening up 3 more storage centres across Ontario. BE AWARE Consumers!

Rent increases are too common in the self storage industry. Local management gets bonus and commission based on how many rents they increase, accessories and insurance they sell and the number of fees they can bill a customer with.

It is also an adversarial relationship between the customer and property manager. They look at the tenant as the enemy if not a desperate sucker.

ID
Toronto, Ontario
Pros
  • Clean facility
  • Adequate storage
Cons
  • Did not care if customer stayed or go
  • Outrageous rental fee increase every 8 months
  • Fee increase every 8 months
Reason of review