Compaq Computer Corporation - HP/Compaq doesn't care about customers

I have a Compaq Presario laptop. Not long after I purchased it the door to the CD drive came loose. This laptop came with a Lightscribe drive to allow you to put a label on the disc while in the drive. I called Compaq and told them my model and serial number. They said they would ship me a new drive and assured me it would be a lightscribe drive. I hadn't tried to use the lightscribe program until I made a CD to be played at my dad's funeral. I found out then that I didn't have a lightscribe drive. I called Compaq and was told sorry your laptop is no longer in warranty so I would have to pay for any issues. Even though they sent me the wrong drive in the first place. I don't know if I have any other options to get this resolved.

Yes, Compaq is cheating the consumers by selling such substandard products in the Indian market. I too had an experience of the same sort.

I had bought a Compaq Presario V3133AU laptop and it went dead exactly 20 days after the expiry of warranty. Till that time, I used to suggest Compaq laptops to my friends and relatives. Now, when I started enquiring, I could find that this problem with on-board graphic chip was a common one with all the Presario 3000 series laptops and even desktop PCs (One of my close friends experienced it; it too was after 1 month of expiry of warranty). The service centers were fed-up with Compaq Presario laptops and they were sending back people who were not willing to change the mother board.

I somehow pursuaded a service center to repair the laptop for me by paying Rs. 6000 for replacing the chip. Then, one month later, it again showed the same complaint. This time also, I got it repaired by the same person and as soon as I got it back, I exchanged it with a Lenovo laptop. Now I am happy that I was able to get rid of my biggest nightmares.

I would advise, from my personal experience and also from what I have seen with my friends and also from what I could gather from the service centers, that one should not go for Compaq products in the future if you want to make sure that you get a service worth the money that you are spending.

Here I quote what a Compaq dealer to me, "Previously, Compaq was good... but after HP took it over, they have started compromising a lot on quality.... now it is better to buy Acer or Sahara laptops than buying Compaq..."

Here, I would also like to mention about their poor Customer Service.

I had registered complaints in Compaq website and made calls after calls to HP Customer Service in Chennai. Once they promised to do something for me. Thereafter, they refused to attend to my calls and I even tried calling the cellphone of Mr. ***** (I wont mention the name here). There was no response. Such is their customer relations.

Therefore, please think over twice before you decide to buy Compaq PCs or laptops.

I bought a Compaq Presario V3133AU notebook from a HP reseller in Trivandrum in November 2006. In December 2006, after one month of expiry of warranty, it went dead. When I enquired at the reseller's office, they told that almost all the 3133AU systems that they sold were coming back with the same complaint exactly after the expiry of the warrranty period. Is HP manufacturing such products to last just one year? I got it repaired in December after paying Rs. 6000. In January, it again had the same complaint and I had to repair it spending an equal amount. Now in March, it is again showing the same complaint. The complaint is that the screen blurs and then the system goes dead.

I had selected Compaq taking into consideration its brand status. Now I really feel pity for my choice to have selected Compaq. Let me tell you, as an aside, one of my close friends took a Compaq PC and it too went dead exactly after 1 year. What does this prove? Luckily, it was a PC, so he could get the motherboard replaced with that of Lenovo. But mine being a notebook, I cant even do that.

I am working in BPO to fetch an income to sustain my studies. Now, the scenario is such that I have to get money as debts to pay for the repairs of this notebook every month.

I am about to take the notebook to HP authorized service center in Trivandrum. I do not know how long I am going to continue with this process. The worst part is that, I have exams coming up in April, and this system is affecting my exams also, as it had affected my January exams. I am really so depressed at my decision to choose Comapq.

View more comments (1)