Direct Home Counseling - Sent check through US mail for loan modification

11-8-12 I received a telephone call from someone name Shane Emerson from Direct Home Counseling offering me a loan modification on my mortgage. In the days following I was told I had to sign some papers and send them a check for $3,500. 'for the attorneys' to work on my loan modification. The documents I signed, although not signed by anyone from Direct Home Counseling, said that if I was not satisfied with their work I could get my $3,500. returned. Shane was soon replaced by a Benjamin Holmes, then by a Charles Smith and ultimately I began dealing with a David Anderson. They kept asking for more paperwork, and then as the months went by updates of my checking account and other monthly bills. I wanted to end it beginning on December 27, 2012, but David kept telling me that this was going to happen. By January 4, 2013 I began demanding we end this and they send my money back. More stalling, and un-returned or promised phone calls never called back. All through this I have had health problems due to complications from hip replacement surgery. As of September 27, 2013 a week after David Anderson told me he would call me that afternoon, and didn't and repeated attempts to call him and Charles Smith and the 'office' phone number, I found their website was no longer listed on the web. After reading other comments on a website that included the same 'names' of the people I dealt with, I am convinced that Direct Home Counseling is or has gone out of business. There is a Realtor listed in the licensed California Realtors who is/was the owner behind Direct Home Counseling and he is the one who is responsible for me getting my $3,500. returned, plus expenses for my time and my attempting to send them a Certified Return Receipt letter, which they never accepted. I will use all means available to me in the State of California to get my money back.

They are not licensed and it is against the law to take advance fees for loan modifications.

Read about it: http://www.dre.ca.gov/Consumers/LoanModPrevention.html

File a complaint: http://www.dre.ca.gov/Consumers/FileComplaint.html

Also, in addition to filing a complaint at the above address/link, file one with your local District Attorney.

They will investigate loan mod scams.

Good luck,

Batman

Total scam! False promises, lies, failure to refund as promised if they could not perform.

Total scam, run the other direction; they still owe me money after months and months of trying to pacify me through lies.

david kashani aka david anderson (https://www.facebook.com/david.kashani.9?fref=ts this is a link to his Facebook page) is a scam artist and head of direct home counseling he is in charge of all operations and uses a fake name to get by. HE HAS NOT STOPPED PRANK CALLING ME FOR 6 MONTHS AND I AM HOPING THIS WILL GET HIS ATTENTION IF NOT MY NEXT STEP IS TO REPORT HIM TO THE FBI FOR THE SCAME HE IS RUNNING!! BE AWARE CHARLES SMITH IS A MADE UP NAME AND IS A SCAM THESE PEOPLE WILL SCAM YOU!!

View more comments (4)
ID
Palm Springs, California
Loss

Direct Mortgage Counseling or Direct Home Counseling THEY ARE CROOKS

I got a telephone call from them, even though I didn't think I would qualify, they said I would because I was retired and on a fixed income. 6 months later after repeated failures to call me back, they had nothing to offer me except over $12,000. MORE IN FEES and still nothing to sign verifying anything. Unfortunately there is a realtor listed in the California Registrar of Realtors and he is going to suffer one more law suit and a complaint with the State of California. I urge anyone reading this, who has had a problem with them to register a complaint with the State of California and maybe the State can stop him.
ID