Poor animal care / managemenet at Liberty Humane Society (LHS) Jersey City NJ

We adopted a dog in April that we were told was in good health, and fixed. What we got was a dog that had multiple health issues, and was only partially fixed - which is amazing, because the huge scar and still visible shaved area indicated that someone was inside doing something!! So, we noticed health issues 1 day after adoption, and brought out dog to our vet for analysis. Urinary tract infection. After a few days of loose stools, we went back, diagnosis - worms. In between the worms and the spay problem, we noticed the dog was going into heat - which was amazing because the adoption paperwork clearly states 'spayed female'. Hmmmm...who is doing the spaying? Someone finishing up a High School science project? Sooo, several unanswered emails to a variety of LHS staff - and a 'canned' email says 'As your adoption contracts states LHS takes all reasonable steps to safeguard the health of the animals at the shelter blah blah' I am guessing the 4 health issues qualify as breach of contract? Hmmmm, our lawyer seems to agree!! There are plenty of other places to adopt....I would recommend taking LHS off your list.

ok...this was finally resolved after about 6 months of emails, countless phone calls, registered mails, legal discussions - all for reimbursement of exactly what we asked for. What a pain in the ***.

#720503

Whoops...make that 'going into October'...I was a month off! :roll

#720502

Soo, we are going into November, and LHS has forwarded me to a lawyer by the name of Jeremy. There has been roughly 0 additional progress, although I keep getting promised that paperwork is being written up, and onced signed, a check can be sent out.

I don't know when this paperwork is coming out, lots of delays due to personal issues.

While I can relate to other people busy lives, the disregard for the health of this animal, as well as our out of pocket expenses is unacceptable. I'll send a follow up to Jeremy to see what he is doing, but my original recommendation of 'avoid this rescue at all costs' still stands.

View more comments (2)