Apple - Free Shipping cost a lot

I purchased an iPad with Retina display, wifi plus cellular from Apple.ca for my wife's Christmas present. When placing the order, I was advised shipping was free. Two weeks later UPS left a note on my door at 2:00 pm saying they would try again the next day. I phoned them they only deliver in the day time when I was working. UPS told me I could pick up my parcel at their office the next day which was 40 miles away. The next day I when to their office and was told the Delivery Driver still had the parcel on his truck and I would have to come back the following day. I did receive the parcel after driving the 40 mile (one way) the following day. After this delivery mix-up, a week later I received a bill from UPS for custom charges. UPS doesn't care that Apple said shipping was free and now I have a collection agency calling me continually.

Apple does not charge customs charges, neither does UPS. Your Canadian government does.

Complain to them about having to pay import taxes per your country's laws.

You got the bill from UPS because UPS prepaid the taxes to keep your package from sitting in customs. With you hounding them for delivery I am sure you would have appreciated customs holding it for a few weeks.

@Andrea Ahw

Apple advertised the same price at the Apple store as what I paid for the iPad online. They did say, for your convenience the item can be ordered online and shipped to you free.

Certainly implying the cost would be the same. Apple must bring their product into the country with out any or much duty/custom taxes as their products are sold at the same price at all tech shops. Apple online ordering and UPS tracking did not say anything about possible further charges. In my opinion this is a scam from both Apple and UPS.

There was no mention of an additional charges when I picked up the parcel from UPS. If there were then I could have refused the item as Apple also stated they have a no hassle return policy. Instead, I got a bill in the mail days later and will not be paying it.

The Collection Agency can continuing calling, I think they will spend more time on trying to collect than they would off the profit of actual getting the money. And I will put this true story out as much as I can !!!!

@Raiden Tib

I think you better call your local customs office and verify your statement that Apple must deliver with no duty. Apple does not charge or have control over the duty taxes.

View more comments (2)