BEWARE OF SONY’S OFFER TO “UPGRADE” YOUR PS3 SYSTEM.

My family’s Sony PS3 failed. Sony Technical Support said I needed to send the unit in for repair. During our conversation, the service representative asked me if I wanted to “upgrade” my PS3. He told me it would be cheaper than the repair. When I asked what the upgrade was and he told me it was a larger hard drive. I didn’t see a downside and agreed. The new console was not the same type of PS3. Physically it is smaller and has fewer USB ports. But the more important difference is that it does not play PS2 games. Much of our library is PS2 games. I called back, talking to a few people before being connected with Brian, who identified himself as the Manager of Customer Service and Technical Support. The point I made with him is that I was not told the “upgrade” would mean less functionality. Had I been told, I would not have made a choice that would mean half of my kids’ games would be rendered unplayable. Brian was kind, understood the situation was not of my own making, but refused to swap out the PS3. I entered into this transaction with Sony on good faith. I paid them up front and held up my end. Sony misrepresented the product they were exchanging for my PS3. Where I come from they call this a bait and switch. We are good customers. My kids love the original console – and love the games they play on it. As a matter of fairness -- and decency -- Sony should disclose information important to their costumer’s interests before they take our money.NOTE: The "Value of Your Loss" field below is the cost for the repair. The value of the PS2 game library is higher.
ID