Verizon Wireless - Will not replace my phone under Manufacturer warranty

Three weeks ago I purchased the Samsung Galaxy 3 from my local Verizon retailer. Immediately I noticed an awful crackling sound that randomly liked to appear even if the phone was on silent! I took the phone into the store and the manager quickly heard the sound and recognized it was a manufacturer defect. He was going to replace it that day, but he had no more in stock, and he told me I had to wait until he received more ( never gave me any other options!). After two weeks of me relentlessly calling the store he finally gave me the good news! ON MY WAY to the store I dropped my phone and cracked the screen! Although he acknowledged there was a defect two weeks earlier without the crack he will not replace it! While I was receiving the bad news the manager ( who I have been dealing with for two weeks) asked me " why didn't you call this number you would have received your new phone within two days?". I really can't believe I have to pay for a new phone Verizon is no help and is holding me liable for a phone the sold me that was defective! Can anyone help?
ID