Apple iPhone 5 purchase from Apple Store

I purchased a new iPhone5 at the apple store in Toronto for price of $799 plus taxes in October 2012. I was told that I was not allowed to leave the store until the phone was configured to a cel phone plan, which I had with Telus. (I was upgrading from 4S to 5). Apple staff converted the information, and the phone was up and running. I loved it. December - I wanted to change my celphone plan. Signed up with Fido, and had everything done at the store. The iPhone 5 would not read the SIM, because unknown to me, the iPhone5 was locked to Telus. I find this very disturbing that in spite of paying full price that Apple would firstly lock the phone to a carrie, and secondly, not let me know about it. Since this phone number was the only phone I had (no land line), I had to purchase another android phone on the spot to ensure I had a phone that worked (the info was already transferred to Fido and Telus was no longer active). I called Apple support and was told that I had to call Telus to unlock the phone or go to the Apple store after escalating the issue. I called Telus, and was told that according to their standard policy, in order for them to unlock the phone I would have to have used for at least 90 days, which I did not, so they would not unlock it, AND with the account schedule to close in December it would be against their policy. By this time, I was very frustrated. I asked to have the issue escalated as I owned the phone and not Telus, and if they had stuck by their policy I would have a brand new iPhone 5 locked to Telus, completely useless for my use. After escalating within their department, they finally succumbed to logic and agreed to unlocked my iPhone 5 for $35 plus tax. 45 minutes later, the phone was unlocked. I have used AND owned iPhone 3S, 4, 4S and now 5. My household of 2 have Apple Air, MacPro, 2 iPod nanos, 3 iPads, 1 iPhone 5, and I have personally paid for and gifted 3 iPads, 2 iPod touch and 1 iPod Classic. AND to be treated as such, I found completely contemptuous and careless of Apple Support, and Apple in general. I am still a proponent of Apple, however I am finally starting to see why the migration to Android. Apple is the catch phrase now, but continue to treat your supporters so crassly and see where the company would be in 10 years. As for the Android phone I had to purchase, I had it unlocked on line and will be giving to my brother who is currently using my old iPhone 3GS. (Unlocking a 3 year old iPhone 3Gs with carrier Rogers is another painful story in the saga of iPhones)

"AND to be treated as such, I found completely contemptuous and careless of Apple Support, and Apple in general."

APPLE DOES NOT UNLOCK PHONES.

QUIT CALLING ABOUT IT.

AND BE NICE TO US.

WE'RE PEOPLE THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY SMARTER THAN YOU.

you're the one that had to call tech support for something you could have done yourself, for free, on any computer.

oh and learn to google.

I paid full price for an iPhone 5 before they started selling them unlocked. I knew the deal going in.

Phones are LOCKED unless explicitly indicated otherwise. ALL phones, not just Apple phones.

Remember with Apple you are not a human you are simply an idrone. They know you are trapped and nothing can be done.

All the idrones I know say the same thing it's a pretty phone, iPad, etc. But what they never say is how good they are treated leaving the Apple store. My suggestion to you is drop all Apple products and move on.

Besides iPhones are for 12 year old girls. Men don't use them.

View more comments (2)