Silver Streak Aluminum Boats - Expensive boat and bad service, SOOKE B.C.

I purchased a Silver Streak Aluminum Boat manufactured by a small company in Sooke B.C. I have kept an eye on these boats for years because of the tough construction, look of the boats and because they are manufactured in Canada. In comparison to other aluminum boat builders the purchase cost was fair, the boat is nice and sturdy as predicted but not built to our agreed upon specifications. I paid almost $200,000 dollars for a custom boat, I chose the model and the options and the owner Andy Barry and I agreed upon a price and signed a contract. The boat should have been built exactly as it said it would be on the contract and include any mutually agreed upon additions at extra cost along the way. The boat I got was not built on time, was missing contract option items and did not work in full when I got it. When I called about the problems with the boat the owner Andy Barry brushes me off like he has not got the time of day, he did this through the whole build process once I had made a deposit. He changed some things on the without my consent. It was not constructed on time and he made it out to be my problem not his. When the final bill came the boat was more than it was supposed to be and he had changed the wording and layout form the original contract signed to make it harder to compare both contracts and find changes. The original contract should have been left the same and a contract amendment attached. He changed many little things as upgrades but they were on my original contract, now the prices were more. He did not install a few other small things that I had requested. He did not return my calls promptly or at all through the whole process, sometimes he did not been call back. Maybe he thought my concerns were to petty to be addressed but it was my boat and a very expensive one. I wanted to make sure it was right and trust the builder that it would be. When I asked him about specifics and options he would not help me. He has been in business for years and is still a small company, he will remain that way unless he improves his customer service. I am retired now but I ran a very successful successor company that my son now runs. If you want to be successful you have to serve your customers and employees and in return you will be rewarded. As a company owner or manger it i I ran into 6 of his past customers while I was moored at different marinas this year and all of them share the same opinion "great boat once all problems are worked out, *** of a man to deal with". Andy Barry needs to remember the old tried and true, "A Customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us; we are Dependent on him. He is not an interruption on our work: He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider on our business; He is the part of it. We are not doing him a favour by Serving him; He is doing a favour by giving us an opportunity to do so." Mahatma Ghandi"

Thanks for the info, I will not be calling SS for a quote.

WHOW!!!!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY THAT GOT SCREWED BY ANDY BARRY.

I HAVE NEVER MET A SINGLE PERSON TOO THE MAN THAT THOUGHT THEY RECEIVED A FAIR DEAL FROM ANDY BARRY. THE LETTER BY ALBBOY IS NOT AN EXAMPLE OF ANDY'S TREATMENT BUT AN EXACT COPY OF MY OWN!!! MY BOAT WAS APROX. THE SAME PRICE AS ALBBOY'S AND NOTHING WORKED AS AGREED (WHEN I SAY "AS AGREED" YOU WOULD ASSUME THAT THE GPS/DIESAL HEAT/HELM AND STEERING/HOT WATER HEATER/SEALED BULK HEADS WOULD BE PART OF THE "AS AGREED" UNDERSTANDING, IT IS NOT WITH ANDY!

NOT TOO MENTION NOT DELIVERED AS PROMISED. IN ALASKA WITH SUCH A SHORT FISHING OVER ONE MONTH DELAY WOULD BE A TOTAL LOSS OF SALMON SEASON. HIS REFUSAL TO TALK TO ME ON THE PHONE WAS JUST ONE OF MANY BROKEN PROMISIES. AS I LIVE IN ALASKA AN COULD NOT BE PRESENT HE PROMISED ME TOO SEND E-MAIL PRODUCTION PICS EVERY WEEK, NO SUCH LUCK.ANOTHER BROKEN PROMISE.

IF HE WOULD EVER AGREE TO DO WARRANTY WORK HE WOULD JUST SAY BRING IT BACK TOO HIM KNOWING THAT $4500 TOO SHIP TO HIM AND NOT BACK WAS ALL HE NEEDED TO STOP ME FROM GOING ANY FARTHER. I CANNOT AGREE THAT HE BUILDS A GOOD BOAT AS MY 29' FOOT CUDDY WAS PROMISED AS SELF BAILING, IT ALMOST SUNK AT THE DOCK AFTER TWO WEEKS OF HEAVY RAIN! IF I HAD NOT GONE TO THE HARBOR IT MIGHT HAVE GONE DOWN. NO BELOW DECK COMPARTMENT IN THE COCKPIT AREA WAS WAS SEALED AT ALL.

SILVER STREAK BOATS ARE O.K. BUT FAR FROM A QUALITY AND SAFE BOAT EVEN THOUGH YOU PAY TOP DOLLAR. AS WAS STATED EARLIER HAVE A LAWYER GO OVER EVERY THING CAREFULLY AND WITH AN ESCAPE CLAUSE/COMPLETETION PENALTY OUTLINED.

I COULD GO ON-ON-ON. IN CLOSING BE VARY WARY AN VIGIL WITH THIS MAN....

Contracts mean nothing to Andy Barry; if you are going into a contract with him have a lawyer carefully examine the wording and be prepared to enforce the contract.

Thanks for the warning. Apparently he hasn't changed any in the last couple years.

I had a similar experience and hadn't even bought the boat yet. I'll be looking elsewhere for my boat, too many other fine competitors to have to endure this treatment.

@Whew, glad I didn't buy a Silv

Great information here. I won't be buying a Silver Streak.

View more comments (4)