Sarasota Avionics - Overpromise & underdeliver then Kirk tries to charge you more!!

At Sun N Fun in April 2019, Kirk, the president of Sarasota Avionics, sold me an $100k avionics package for my Epic and represented his team would build me a complete wiring harness within a few weeks of my order, which my A&P/IA and fabricator would install. I stressed that I needed a timely turn around on the wire harness build due to the fact the plane is used every week for business and we had a limited window for it to be down during the summer. A few weeks after they received payment for the equipment they had not even started fabricating the wire harness. Kirk sent an email stating “it’s very confusing”. I quickly responded to all senior members of the company and stated that “building a wire harness isn’t rocket science so if it’s confusing, please refund my money and I will go to another shop”. Kirk backpedalled and said it was complex but they would make it happen. I reinforced my deadline and stated they could build one stage of the harness for the 4 screen G3x system and then provide the second stage of the harness for the 5th back up G3x system a week or so later AS LONG AS THEY MET MY DEADLINE. We asked them to ship the avionics components to us for my fabricator to fit in the custom carbon fiber panel we built, which they did. Then they told us we had to return all the avionics so they could wire everything up on the bench with the wire harness to make sure it all works before we installed the harness, representing they always do that. So we spent a day driving the equipment to them (UPS wanted over $1200 due to insurance costs and number of boxes). Kirk missed my deadline which caused me to have to charter a King Air to fly my family back from vacation in the islands. They sent a harness that was missing the terminal connectors on half the terminals, had insufficient length for one of the magnetometers (they said just splice more on to it which causes a magnetic anomaly error) and the wire harness was clearly never tested by them and was useless as it was delivered. Kirk sent out a contractor to try to figure out the problems with the harness and he spent a couple days trying to fix it with only partial success (neither transponder was working the day the contractor left and I had to fly to KATL with a mode C exception to pick up my business partner). They didn’t wire in audio out from G3X for audio alerts, didn’t wire my XM into audio panel, didn’t wire auto trim motors and didn’t wire com flip flop switches. My autopilot totally fails if you lose PFD 1 (entire system is designed for many redundancies but they have wired the harness wrong so we have no redundancy) and we can’t get the used satellite phone they sold us to work after 8 calls to Garmin. The system has one entire G3X system with ADC and AHRS for additional redundancy to the main 4 screen G3X and it has continual red X’s For airspeed and attitude due to a wiring issue. My IA has spent over 130 hrs troubleshooting problems with the wire harness, finding countless pins on the terminals they did install that were not properly crimped etc, Yesterday I had my IA fly the plane to Venice FL for them to get the GTS800 working and add wiring to connect the audio from the G3X autopilot to the audio panel. Kirk said they had already gone above and beyond for us and would need to charge us extra for fixing it. When my IA (a retired sheriff) mentioned that I was very frustrated and looking at their online reviews he got really irate then flipped him the middle finger and said F _ _ _ Y _ _ and stormed off. They invoiced me $10,000 more than his estimate for building the wiring harness, which we promptly paid months ago, and now it’s clear they have no intention of ever finishing the job. These guys over represented their capabilities, over promised delivery dates, and use hostile tactics with their customers. I spent $100k with a promise of an early June completion date and its now 2 months later and Kirk is washing his hands and not taking responsibility for their shoddy work. I picked Sarasota over the competition WRONGFULLY believing I would get better service and a high quality build along with their premium price. Instead, I got screwed by these guys and now I’m going to have to have another shop fix everything they Screwed up or just didn’t include (like wiring an autopilot disengage wire for the control yoke - SERIOUSLY the President of Sarasota Avionics feels that an AP disconnect button on the yoke isn’t included in a “comprehensive wiring harness” for a turboprop airplane??? Fortunately, we have extensive photos of the wire harness issues along with countless texts with Sarasota and their contractor so my in-house counsel believes we will recover many of the additional costs we are going to incur trying to get this right... but we will never get back the lost time or be free of the stress this shady operation has caused us. There’s a reason this company isn’t BBB accredited!

These guys are crooks

ID
Venice, Florida
Cons
  • Hostile towards unhappy customers
Reason of review