Univa tried to scare me into buying Univa Grid Engine.

The sales guys at Univa tried to tell me that Grid Engine that I've been using under a free open source license for years was illegal. They told me that I needed to buy Univa Grid Engine and pay them a yearly fee to keep it legal. This is a load of ***. I found a great site at www.univagridengine.com that exposes the truth about Univa. Had I not found univagridengine.com I may well have paid Univa for their 'protection' charge and wasted my company money. These guys at Univa are crooks. Even the CEO, Gary Tyreman called me and tried to strong arm me. Watch out for these guys!

I've been using Grid Engine free for years. Univa makes some claim on their website about how much better their version is but that's ***.

If you ever get 'the' call from these guys they will tell you all this bad stuff. Use the questions on univagridengine.com and they should go away.

If not you can gt some help from the guys in the community. They are very helpful.

I had the same experience with Univa Grid Engine as well. UnivaGridEngine.com has some good info but so does gridengine.org.

It seems that Univa has been trying to knock off Open Source Grid Engine all year. It's too bad but you can find some other people on the gridengine.org site to help make sense of all of this for you I wouldn't trust anything that Univa says though.

View more comments (1)