Ambetter - Scam Artists & Gougers

Worst insurance experiences ever. I will literally go without health insurance next year rather than renew with them. It's a total scam. I have been on the same ADD meds since 2017. We switched to Ambetter on the exchange for 2019 due to their co-pay for this med being $50. They immediately started denying my medications, and basically said that whatever my doctor had prescribed did not matter; I would not be able to get my medication unless I tried a different, generic medication first. I tried to discuss this with them directly but to no avail. So I took the different, generic medication, which has neurologically destroyed my tongue (even though I went off of that med after 2 months). They still will not approve my doctor's prior authorizations. First, they told me the doctor had given the wrong diagnosis. Honestly, I don't know how adult ADD is the wrong diagnosis for Vyvanse, since that is what it is made for. So the doctor submitted another prior authorization with a different code for ADD. Denied again. So instead of the medication costing me $50, which they scammed me into believing I would pay for this med, I am paying $300, and have to stop cold-turkey because of the price. I called Ambetter again today, and after wasting over an hour on the phone, the first person the representative called (with me on the line) said they hadn't received any prior authorizations (a lie) or my doctor's appeal (a lie). He tried a different person at apparently a different place, Amanda, who said that it was denied because, again, the diagnosis was not suitable for this med. The representative (Jasper, who was actually quite helpful) asked what the exact issue was ... then Amanda said that it was denied because I hadn't taken the generic, alternative med yet. WHICH I HAD, for two months, and have permanent damage from it. So SHE LIED. It wasn't about the diagnosis, it was about this med, which they could easily see I have taken since THEY HAVE PAID FOR IT. Now my doctor, who has not been given accurate information from Ambetter about what she needs to do to get this approved, has to submit ANOTHER prior authorization with the info on my prior usage of their recommended alternative, which is information they had already and is just one more bogus excuse to deny coverage. And she said the doctor needed to request a peer-to-peer, which was information they didn't share with my doctor. I have been trying to get my medication back since JANUARY. Almost 9 months. We pay $12000 per year for two people and a ridiculously high deductible ($12K) and I can't even get my meds. Ambetter is a complete scam and they only exist to take advantage of people on the exchange. The internet is full of very, very, very angry Ambetter clients who have also been scammed. They have also disabled any comments on their FB page because they were all negative (unethical) and took away the ability to message them on FB (also unethical). This company should not be allowed to be in business. They are keeping people from becoming or staying healthy, and every road block is there on purpose and completely arcane. Their website now doesn't even allow you to view the details of your pharmacy claims, nor can you copy the data, nor can you print it. You have to screen shot it. That's how awful they are.
ID
Service
Ambetter Health Insurance
Cons
  • No value at all for the money
  • Actual lies from customer service
  • So terrible i contacted my senator
Reason of review
Bad quality
Loss
Preferred solution
APPROVE MY MEDS. And reimburse me for the $250 for the meds I had to pay full price for due to your inappropriate and baseless denial.
North American Power's reply to:

North American Power - Scam Artists & Gougers

Hi Melissa - thank you for your comment. We are so sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with North American Power. Customer satisfaction is important to us which is why we did some research on your account and would like to discuss our findings with you. Our Customer Care team has tried contacting you numerous times both by phone and by email, but we have not successfully reached you, nor have we gotten a response to our messages. On 8/1, we called at 5:37pm EST and 5:57pm EST and left a voicemail. On 8/2, we called at 12:55am EST on a second number provided for your account and didn't have an option to leave a voicemail. Additionally on 8/2, we sent an email at 3:48pm EST to the email address associated with your account and never received a response back. On 8/5, we called both phone numbers at 3:37pm EST and one indicated the voicemail was full and the other line continued to ring. We made a final attempt on 8/5 at 5:50pm EST and once again the voicemail was full for one line and the other line provided a message saying the number is out of order. We would be glad to discuss the matter with you if you'd like to contact us at customercare@napower.com or via phone at 888.313.9086 Monday - Friday, 8am-6pm EST. We look forward to hearing from you and to resolving this matter.
ID
Service
North American Power Residential Electricity Supply
Cons
  • Price gouging inbetween month pre-new supplier billing
  • Bait-and-switch
  • Scam price-gouging bait-and-switch
Reason of review
Not as described/ advertised
Loss
Preferred solution
Full refund

They bring you in with a low rate. Then, without any notifications, they take you to a much, much higher rate.

They are banking on you being too busy to look at your bill every month. They are now charging 400% of what my local supplier does.

$.13/kwh vs $.03.

Don't do it. And if you did, please call your state's attorney general and your Senator.